Hudson Reviews

1. "Very nice company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - IT Staff

I have been working at Hudson full-time

Pros

Very nice company to work with

Cons

moving fast need to keep up your pace

2. "Best job yet!"

Former Employee - Creative Designer in Sydney

I worked at Hudson full-time

Pros

Friendly teams Happy workplace Clean environment Supportive management

Cons

No Con's come to mind

3. COVID-19

"Love"

Current Employee - Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Hudson full-time

Pros

Loved the benefits of working here.

Cons

COVID 19 prevented continuation of work.

4. "Decent enough place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Hudson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team, Good social events

Cons

High pressure environment with out of touch middle management

5. COVID-19

"Stock standard KPI driven recruitment agency"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Hudson full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are friendly Nice offices, open floorplan Career progression path normal, either managing consultant or principal billing consultant

Cons

They operate to make a profit off of you, not to make you profitable. Regardless of what they say it's a standard, run of the mill, KPI driven recruitment agency. There's a bell on the wall for people to ring when a placement is made and you put your placement up on a whiteboard. Long term employees agree there are quite a few cowboy recruiters here. During covid true colours came out where the reaction to the lockdown and cost cutting resulted in slashed paid hours and doubled the expected KPIs, and made sure not to put anything in writing so that they couldn't be held accountable for it. Initially they kept the normal hour financial targets but they had to back track on that. No consistency across the cities or senior management on how to handle it either. I believe the highest biller last year took home less than 7 figures, a really good effort but not as high as you would expect from a large agency top biller.

6. "Great experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Hudson full-time

Pros

Get to own your own projects

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth in all areas

February 24, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to post this review!

"A warning to future recruitment consultants"

1.0

I worked at Hudson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Drinks trolley on Fridays Company wide events Great client lists

Cons

Hudson likes to think that it is a well oiled machine. Just like any other large corporate it chugs along no matter what turning a blind eye to the constant haemorrhaging of employees due to mismanagement and power struggles of middle management, toxic office culture, and general lack of transparency, support and direction; just to name a few. Hudson believes that high staff turn over is just the nature of the recruitment industry- however within this space they have one of the worst attrition rates within the Sydney market- with average staff tenure being less than 18 months. Their poetic response to this is that they harbour emerging talent to later funnel onto other recruitment agencies or internal recruitment pathways. Although I am focusing primarily on the view as a former recruitment consultant, all the aforementioned is applicable to other sections of the organisation- finance, back office support, IT and payroll. As a recruitment consultant, I joined the organisation without previous knowledge or experience within the world of recruitment. Just like many of my colleagues before me this was the first move into a role that was more corporate and a step up from either retail, customer service or sales. When you join as a recruitment consultant your work pace will be determined whether or not you have a cold or warm/hot desk- with the beginning months seeing you building out a network of talent (warm/hot desk- job heavy; candidate short) or cold calling new and exisiting clients (cold desk- candidate heavy; job short). Of course as time progresses there will be instances where all action points are required: business development (cold/warm calling clients) and talent pooling (building candidate lists). However the first few months will see you building out one or the other within your assigned industry or market. At Hudson, there is an expectation for you to deliver and place jobs as soon as you start by enticing you with 2.5% commission of whatever you bill in your first 6 months. At Hudson there is a general statement that is thrown around a lot- building a successful desk takes 1-2 years and the first few months will be tough regardless whether if you have a cold or warm desk. Now, taking into consideration all the internal struggles that Hudson has your life as a recruitment consultant will either be smooth sailing or set up for failure. My personal experience at Hudson saw the departure of so many talented individuals that felt Hudson was the modern day slave driver with expectations being set so high and unachievable (all the while being paid below market rate), and being managed by leaders that make you question- what exactly do they do aside from shouting: have you placed this week? Which clients have you met? BD BD BD! Although being surrounded by many other recruitment consultants doing the same thing as you, the office environment is highly toxic and highly competitive- often scrambling and fighting over similar roles or over the same client. There is hardly any collaboration within the recruitment team. Hudson are aware that this is an issue and have tried to mitigate this by organising more team building exercises and events- but this, honestly, is just another excuse for all the consultants to binge drink and let out their frustration about their job / team leaders / managers / directors. Another issue that I came across at Hudson is the lack of transparency whether it be what plans they have for your team and desk, and salary rates. At Hudson you are told not to discuss your salary under no circumstance-however they provide no reason why. This, as I came to learn, was due to the fact recruitment consultants are all paid at different rates. Understandably there will be a difference in salary rates from people having previous recruitment experience than from someone without. However, the shocking bit about this was that salary rates for an entry level recruitment consultant starts at 55k+Super and differed according to which leader you got and what they are willing to shed as part of their P&L. I saw others that were paid higher than me with similar experience and others lower than me. This to me was highly unfair and a huge disparity perhaps begging a conversation in relation to gender pay gaps? I have noticed since my leave that Hudson have recently taken on a new regional director who comes from a heavily KPI and numbers driven agency environment. Having spoken to some current consultants there is general consensus that he has not been taken well due to his abrasive nature and general shake up of the already struggling company. Recently there has a huge drive to employ more recruitment consultants with their Seek advertising beginning with ‘due to huge growth’ which we all know is a complete lie as they are losing more consultants than they can on-board. I’d stay clear from this company. Unless the new regional director changes the work environment, provides additional and relevant support to new and emerging recruitment consultants and be more transparent in salary and requirements, then yes, it is a great place to learn as much as you can about recruitment- and then leave onto better pastures that respect you and nurture you; and most importantly value you as an employee.

February 24, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Really sorry to hear your experience wasn't good - we are constantly working on improving the employee experience and have made a number of changes over the last couple of months aimed at addressing some of the problems you raised. Hopefully your new role will bring you more satisfaction. Best of luck!

8. "High pressure environment where the seniors don't understand individual practices"

1.0

I worked at Hudson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent onboarding process with good training. People who work here are very friendly, the culture is quite fun.

Cons

You are not even slightly recognised unless you're performing. Anyone above a manager level has no idea how you're struggling individually and makes minimal effort to do so. They only look at the numbers and how to turn the numbers around without taking any time to understand how the MARKET actually is for the practice at the moment. No job? Make more calls. Absolutely no strategy development or any leadership. Bottom up approach...seen plenty of companies where the leaders actually get involved in business development...I don't think I EVER saw the Directors even on the phone...lead by example people!

February 24, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback and sorry to hear you weren't happy - we take it really seriously and are constantly working to improve the employees' experience. Wishing you every success in your new role!

9. "Excellent and fun company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at Hudson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture Social aspect Ability to earn good money

Cons

Team management Opportunities to develop

February 24, 2020

Thanks so much for your feedback - it's great to hear that the team in Brisbane are creating this environment for our employees. Best of luck!

"Great place to start your recruitment career"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Hudson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, supportive and professional leaders, transparency and structured processes. I have started my career in recruitment at Hudson and I feel I've made the perfect choice. I had the privilege to work together with highly skilled and supportive leaders, experienced recruiters and passionate senior managers who really put people first. The company is going through on some positive changes and it's exciting to see the great progress. I could only recommend Hudson as an employer, especially if you are considering Recruitment as a career.

Cons

There's nothing I could think of

November 11, 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 English Reviews