Hulu Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Hulu CEO Randy Freer
Randy Freer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "One of the main reasons I left Hulu was meaningless fire drills that completely destroyed any semblance of work life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "The company has dramatically grown in the last two years so there have been a few growing pains, but not too many" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Job of My Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hulu is what a company should be about. You're surrounded by smart, motivated people who are all working together towards the same end goal: building an unparalleled viewer experience with amazing content. That, coupled with a great culture, growth opportunities and autonomy, and you can see why it's a desired company to work for.

Cons

Some departments still need to be better about communicating, but these are challenges most companies are faced with.

2. "I Like working here"

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Good company culture and competitive compensations

Cons

Unclear career path and some project doesn't make too much sense

3. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, wonderful work environment, great benefits.

Cons

Leadership and product vision was lacking.

4. "overview"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

work life balance is great

Cons

some people is lazy and hiring bar is not higher than before

"Far paced work with a lot of smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is fast paced. So a lot of time fresh graduates would struggle to find a place where they need proper mentorship. Things like technical landside is continuously changing. So if you want to later one technology, this might not be the place for you.

Cons

Management had changed recently and there is a bit of uncertainty for the direction. Individual growth is difficult as promotions only happen if you work a lot or if you're a favorite

"Marketing, the most toxic department to work for at Hulu"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented people if they last long enough.
    Good health care benefits.
    Free snacks and booze.

Cons

Marketing division is the worst after new CMO started with constant re-orgs with Product divisions that don't make sense.
    Not hiring or promoting strong performers and rewarding mediocre team members because they play politics and don't rock the boat.
    Setting up people to fail by overworking them and pointing the finger when they do.
    Managers who shouldn't be managers are being promoted because directors and VPs play favorites.
    Ruling department by bullying and intimidation because people want to keep their jobs and benefits.
    Bloated with processes and OKR's that are not achievable.
    HR department that does nothing to help or facilate change but protects abusive managers.

Advice to Management

C-level executives, look at what's going on with your departments. Whole teams are leaving the company because good people are tired of politics and being punished for doing good work. Why go through the trouble of having an internal yearly pulse check of how the company is treating its employees if you retain Directors and VPs who's team has the lowest scores and lowest satisfaction.

7. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Planning Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Planning Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Hulu. We do great work, with great people. I get asked all the time in interviews about my favorite thing about working at Hulu, and it's the people.

Cons

The advertising industry is always change! Change is constant. It's hard to think of something I don't like about Hulu. Personally, our office is in a less central location on one side of town and I wish that was better for my situation.

8. "okayish company"

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

less work load, i m trying to recall but cant think of anything

Cons

no growth prospect, no motivation to work, not a friendly environment

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hulu has an amazing culture. There are always fun events, people are awesome, really develop new friendships. The benefits are great, 5 months maternity, unlimited vacation, and more.

Cons

Limited availability to move up. So much gossip, it's hard to trust people with information. Power struggle where I feel sometimes they don't move you forward to keep their own power.

Advice to Management

Don't make us do surveys if you don't take advice into practice

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Hulu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some decent benefits and paid time off.

I think every department is different. Most of the positive reviews seem to be coming from the Engineering/Tech fields. The Marketing department is not a positive place to work at Hulu.

Cons

I have never experienced a company that is as toxic as Hulu. The amount of finger pointing and blaming that goes on here is unlike anything I have ever experienced. And the problem is that it comes from the top positions.

There is no process or organization. So much disorganization at a company that has been around for 10 years. Misinformation and communication problems happen because there is no centralized database that houses information for everyone to access. Everything is located on google sheets and documents that nobody knows about. As a result, work gets often repeated and duplicated.

You will be overworked and become burnt out. Hulu does not have enough staff for the pace that it's growing at. Most people will stay a year and then leave as a result.

No clear definition on job roles. Nobody knows how to stay in their lane and do the job they are hired for. Managers will ask you to do work that isn't even related to the job you were hired for. Maybe that is a mentality for small startup companies, but this is no longer a start up. If you want people to do a project or role that isn't within their scope of work, hire more people instead of burning out your current employees with unrelated work.