Huron Consulting Group Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 9 Jan 2020

3.9
Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth
Pros
Cons
  • "Depending on Project Leader the work life balance can be bad(in 76 reviews)

• "I was literally told by upper management to accept that we will never have good product management(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Trainwreck of a division"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unlimited PTO - Some very fun and enjoyable people working there - Company culture leans more startup-like - Ping pong, great snacks, beer on tap

Cons

- HHSG is one of the worst companies I have ever seen in terms of management. They are absolutely abysmal at creating software and managing. - The worst employees are regularly promoted to the top, and once the employees are at the top they are unremovable - Product management is unbelievably inept. They are so inept the entire company is aware of this, yet due to decades of tenure from this team they are unable to removed. I was literally told by upper management to accept that we will never have good product management. - Promotion structure involved giving you the responsibility of the new job with no pay or promotion backing it with "promises" of the pay and promotion in the future - Poor stewards of technology: Their main product and biggest cash cow was neglected, shoved aside, and exploited while the underlying infrastructure of the product crumbled. Quick features and bugfixes to save contracts. Never did they take the time to refactor the product or fix serious infrastructural issues.

January 13, 2020Employee Experience Leadership

Thank you for your feedback. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience as it is not aligned with our values or culture, please reach out to hresources@huronconsultinggroup.com

"sub par"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pretty much hands off while at client site - which is pro and con! when opportunity allows you to work with other consultants - they are nice and helpful and talented! Some consultant managers are fantastic!

Cons

Cut throat competitive. The weaker Managers/Coaches are not invested in their team . Weak managers will throw members of their team under the bus if they feel it will make them look better to upper management. Usually no one has consultant's back and no one cares about your input. Client is always right - consultant is screwed if client doesn't like you or if they change their minds about paying Huron's consultant rates.

October 22, 2019Employee Experience Leadership

The environment you describe is contrary to our goal of providing a work environment in which one can grow professionally. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience, please reach out to hresources@huronconsultinggroup.com

"Growing pains"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

unlimited time off, lots of free food and coffee, pay okay for the area.

Cons

Upper management has issues because they like to hire their friends. Micro managing, special treatment for friends or ones they are scared of but not others, little growth for analyst and associates. Little rewards if you do a good job at that level. L.ack of privacy at work.

Continue reading

"This is not a consulting company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay exceptionally well. Probably 15% over market. But then again, they have to in order to keep good people. The are willing to get some of their people into training as needed. Good parties if you are accepted into the "IN" crowd. Some good people with decades of experience in delivery, but only some.

Cons

I'll just add a few. Too many cons to even go into. Now these are my opinions based on what I saw, what I experienced, and my personal values, and ethical compass. If you fit in, they will most likely not attempt to harm you. . I was paid very well, but had to leave. I could not handle their politics any longer. (Both business and government). . These people are like a low end Gartner or Forrester group who are trying to specialize in healthcare and now playing with ERP implementations. They have no idea how to run a project, how to implement, or estimate a project. They are off by 40% to 60% in some cases. . 80% of their people are snow flakes who get offended to if they have to work more than 6 hours a day. . They are a "social justice warrior" company, and very socialistic politically. It is a rough environment to work in if you have even the slightest disagreement with their political views. . Very dishonest upper management. Dishonest with their people, and dishonest with their clients. Management is arrogant, snooty, self-important, and terrible at project strategy. . I've seen good people get promoted to director and above, where they begin to show serious signs of dishonesty, back stabbing, and unethical behavior. . If you have 5 or more years of hard core ERP experience, this is not the place for you. You will find incompetence, favoritism, and overall leftist political agendas everywhere. This is not a safe company if you did not vote for Hillary Clinton. It's that simple.

October 8, 2018PR and Social Media Contractor

Dear Reviewer – Thank you for your candid feedback on Glassdoor. Huron’s culture is founded on the values of collaboration, inclusion and the collective pursuit of excellence – all employees contribute to who we are as a company and are encouraged to share their ideas to provide the best possible solutions for our clients. We are sorry to hear that your experience does not reflect our values. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please reach out to humanresources@huronconsultinggroup.com.

"A fun place to work for a few years"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work always felt enjoyable despite the long hours. Coworkers were wonderful and management put a focus on work-life balance

Cons

Long hours are sometimes necessary and upper management consistently had poor communication regarding significant changes in the organization

6. "Analyst"

4.0

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

great pay and benefits for work.

Cons

upper management can be a little distant

"Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Good healthcare group and BA group. Fun internal parties. Industry average 401k but unlimited pto. They also have a small Travel bonus.

Cons

Upper management is really bad for ESA. They are doing so bad they have limited bonuses too. They will never be a Deloitte or EY.

8. "Product Specialist"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

This is a great place to begin you career. They have a fantastic onboarding and training process and will help you learn SQL if you work on their legacy databases. Starting salary is also good

Cons

Ever since the parent company bought a major competitor the work done here has taken a back seat in the views of upper management. The company also doesn't have that start up feel as it once did.

"THEY'RE MISTAKE WILL COST YOU YOUR JOB! YOU ARE NOT VALUED HERE!"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- Unlimited PTO... it's only really good if you're not on a project. Even then you have to keep yourself available so you can be put on a project so it's both a pro and a con. - Great people & benefits

Cons

- Management is not the best here. They don't teach but rather lead. They're truly one of those leaders you won't gain anything from. They will throw you under the bus whenever they feel like. - The only way to make it to the top is by sucking up to management. Forget making mistakes and learning from it because it will count against you. Management will not hold themselves accountable for anything even if you are not getting the right training or direction. No sense of accountability with upper management. - If you're not on a project, you are often looked down on. I find this absolutely ridiculous. Who's fault is it that you are not placed on a project?!? They say there's resource management and yet all the work goes towards those people that management prefers, those who suck up to them. Work is not evenly given to everyone. You can forget about learning and your potential. - HR is suppose to be unbiased... well guess what? They're not. Forget talking to HR about anything because they will never TRY to understand your position. - Management & HR will work on trying to get you fired when you are not on a project even if it's completely out of your control because you're not bringing in business. This is despite the fact that they're not winning any of the RFPs they've responded to and don't have a project to put you in. Apparently... this counts against you. - Huron has decided to partner with another cloud based solution and hired a bunch of people without experience but it back fired on them and couldn't get any clients due to this... guess who's fault this is? the employees they've hired! So instead of finding ways to give employees experience and support, like any company that doesn't care about their employees, they've made the employee's life miserable by not giving them work and blaming the employee for it... This way the employee quits and they hire someone else with experience. THEY'RE MISTAKE AND BUSINESS DECISION WILL COST YOU YOUR JOB AND EXPERIENCE. Forget being a valued employee cause you will not be valued.

Continue reading

"Great people but all are subject to layoffs"

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better work-life balance than most large consulting firms. Travel bonuses are nice and employees are friendly and hard working.

Cons

All employees are subject to layoffs no matter your past performance reviews. Upper management tends to be extremely financially driven, which can disrupt relationships with lower levels and clients.

Found 26 reviews