Hydrogen Group plc Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Reviews

Updated 22 Jan 2020

3.8
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

"Someone please help me! Get me out of here!"

1.0
    Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

you would want to be on a lot of cocaine to fill this section out.

Cons

no direction or leadership from management. strategy from the top down is a mystery. salary is flirting with 3rd World territory. and the comms may as well be paid in string. turnover has new meaning here. staff retention statistics would be a funny read. 57 people since i started. there are no ethics in their provision of a service. the job feels like being paid to annoy and harass people rather than improve their careers or the efficiency of the managers we claim to support and "partner" with. the word relationship is thrown around like pennys at homeless people. and the belief that we are providing solutions rather than a glorified theft is bewildering to most people - let alone the ones who work here and have university educations.

Continue reading
  2. "Fantastic placee to work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

great training program and company structure, lots of options for promotion and everything is clearly defined from the outset.

Cons

Quite a bit of ongoing change, though not unusual with rapid growth.

CEO

Many thanks for your review. Wishing you all the best in your new venture, Ian

3. "Work hard, play harder"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

People Challenges Rewards and salary Nice offices Opportunity to grow is massive as long as you put the work in

Cons

Pressure Endless micromanagement Working hours High commission hurdles

"Kings of Recruitment"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you have the social skills of a normal human being and the work rate of a dog on steroids, then you will in no doubt enjoy the best thing about Hydrogen which is the 'work hard; play hard' attitude that runs throughout the business - Hydrogen offers a clear path of progression which takes you from Digital Researcher all the way through to Senior Manager and beyond - Tailored training approach according to niche market you operate in, as well as an extensive universal training and development programme for the whole of the company (including management) - Strong reputation and market share within respective niches, particularly within Business Transformation, Legal and Life Sciences, which offers exposure to work with some world and UK leading brands - Good performance incentives - Good work/life balance with the aid of the 9-5 working hours, although you are still expected to stay until the work is done - From my experience, most teams don't hire because they need to, but rather hire because they consider you a good fit in terms of work ethic and social fit. If you are hired, and take on advice given and work hard like you promised in the interview and take on criticism well, you will be rewarded, recognised and have a very good time (and wage). If you go there, expect the world, moan and don't succeed, you will leave in 6 months and post a negative review on glassdoor. Your choice.

Cons

- The new company incentives. The new half yearly incentive should be replaced by the old quarterly lunch. The incentives used to not only reward those who regularly perform well but also give a taste of what success feels like to the trainees and rookies; now it's virtually impossible to get on unless you are top billers - Internal recruitment function doesn't function. - MPA is KPI's small sister

CEO

Thank you for your review! Wishing you all the best in your new adventure - Ian

"All to play for"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working. 9-5 is unheard of in recruitment, and if you bill enough you can get away with it with minimal fuss. Transparent commission structure Incentives on the rise - free breakfast, corporate discount cards and discounted gym, dress down fridays (based on targets) etc. The Operations team proves that we've made the shift from old boy's club to meritocracy, internally promoting the Head of IT to COO was a great shout - someone who knows and actually cares about the business. Payroll team are great, run by a cracking manager who is always willing to help (and has numerous sweet treats at her desk). Social aspect - I doubt i'd have stayed this long if I didn't have a laugh with the people I work with. If you're not a recluse or social outcast you'll make some good mates. That goes for a few of the Seniors as well, who balance the professional / joker line quite well. Particular shoutout to the Director of Bus Tran. No KPIs.

Cons

MPAs are re-branded KPIs. Stats can sometimes take precedent at the expense of real work - but that's life. Occasionally have to stay a little past 5pm and get a slightly later train.

CEO

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review about your time here at Hydrogen. I completely agree that’s it’s the people here who really make the difference! Our staff truly are the heart and soul of Hydrogen. Ian.

"Started off as a great place to work and ended up being somewhere I wouldn't recommend even to the most desperate"

2.0

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, sociable place to work Hours of work were not too bad, what you would expect from recruitment Good location

Cons

Management are completely uninterested in supporting or developing individuals within their team, everything is about making themselves look good. There are an awful lot of unnecessary staff with people who are in roles that clearly shouldn't be. It's a company with no loyalty, no interest in what you're doing daily and a place that seems to be going downhill rather quickly! The HR team are also laughable, quite often patronising and do not seem to know what to do next in order to help improve things, constant restructuring! Training needs to be massively improved! Just generally not a good place to work and would not recommend at all.

marketing coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees, so I am disappointed to hear about your experience. We value and consider all feedback, and continue to find ways to improve, but I wanted to address a couple of your specific points. The personal and professional development of our staff is something we take seriously. We have recently made some significant changes to help our staff develop their careers with us, including new and improved career pathways, and new training modules. We have provided the means – it’s now up to each individual to take advantage of what’s on offer and own their journey at Hydrogen. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed the sociable culture we have. I think our people are some of the best in the industry, and are what makes our company great. I’d be keen to speak to you more about your experience, so please do email me at iantemple@hydrogengroup.com.

"Unemployment may be better"

1.0
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Location (two minute walk from Monumenf) - Offices (across 3 floors if I recall correctly. Nice kitchens which are fully stocked and each have fancy coffee machjnes). - Smoking breaks (permitted to step outside 3/4 times a day for a smoke)

Cons

- Everything. I'm only writing this to genuinely warn people before they start. I came to Hydrogen Group in Dec 2015 & left by Jan 2016 (that should tell you something considering it was the Xmas period and it's generally expensive). Anyway, I joined the finance practice and the first thing that puzzled me was the amount of (unnecessary) managers present. They had Associate a Directors, TL's, Assistant TL's, Head of Practices', etc. - just ridiculous. They were ALWAYS in meetings but never about anything practical apparently. Training is poor and a first year college student would think of a better training programs. Dragon Den style activities do NOT make you a good recruiter. Pointless presentations on Hydrogen Group as a company is very, very tedious. It was like a massive immature playground. People dressed any way they liked (unsure of what the dress code actually is), took ages on lunch break and some just simply never returned (management never seemed to care but then again they were normally in meetings), the smoking breaks were a massive distraction with people constantly getting up (I'm a smoker and still thought it was ridiculous) and the on boarding is non existent. Once you start, that's it - no more contact with HR until you're leaving I suppose. You're shown your desk, 'team' who are already in a clique and given your log in details. Huge and enviable client list but absolutely no business development is done. In fact, jobs which seemingly do not exist seem to be the ones chased. Witnessed two cases of 'back stabbing' in my ten weeks of employment here. Colleague lost out on a promotion / commission due to someone else claiming her placement (it blatantly wasn't) and the Manager, sorry 'Associate Director', done nothing. Needless to say she quit soon after that. The entire finance practice team from 2015 either left or got fired. I reckon most left and I was the first. Really, really, terrible place to work. I was a young grad on £20k basic salary + benefits but I still felt unemployment would be better than that mess.

marketing coordinator

I’m sorry to hear about your experience at Hydrogen. The company as a whole, went through a lot of change in 2015 and I took over as CEO during this period so unfortunately, I am not surprised by your comments. It must have been a difficult time to join the business and hence you decided to move on. I am pleased to say the business has refocused and restructured. We’ve also put in place an induction day to welcome every new starters and a career path framework for all employees . I am sure if you were to come back you would find a very different environment today, with a better morale. We still have work to do to make Hydrogen the best place to work in recruitment, which is our goal. One thing I am passionate about is individuals being responsible for their own workload within a target driven framework and all of us creating the environment. If you’d like to share more details about your experience, please email me at iantemple@hydrogengroup.com and I’d be more than happy to set up some time to talk. I really value feedback from current and former employees, as it helps us to make Hydrogen a better place to work. Ian

"Reputation in Niche markets"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perseverance, hard work and good work ethics are often noticed and rewarded. Fellow consultants in the office are helpful and cooperative when collaborating. The Operations team is efficient with queries: there is always a solution for any situation. The working environment in Singapore's office allows one to work with different personalities and working styles. Consultants in niche areas are well respected in the industry by clients and candidates. Clients often seek for consultative advice in implementing their own policies.

Cons

Hours may be longer than usual but nothing unusual in recruitment.

"Good grad Job"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Fun, good training Good starter training for anyone entering sales. OK benefits package. Good location.

Cons

Long hours with average days 8am to 7pm Target driven, with a lot of micro management Management heavy, not always needed.

Continue reading

"Hydrogen Group - Life Sciences"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Saint Albans, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am a consultant in the Life Sciences practice of 5 months. I have come on with 3 years recruitment experience and was promised in my interview “to look after a warm desk”. The truth about this is that Hydrogen is a major player in the recruitment game, on a global scale. For the first time in my short recruitment career I have transformed from a recruiter into a specialist consultant recruiter, trust me there is a huge difference. // In 5 months I feel totally comfortable in my role – with colleagues, managers and believe it or not my director. Hydrogen is split into a few sectors: Life Sciences, Business Transformation, Finance, Legal, Oil & Gas, Technology & Power – each of these have their own Director. I can’t comment on other senior management but I can certainly approve of the Life Sciences Director, Steph Murtagh who backs every consultant in her team completely (around 25 people – 15 contract recruitment – 10 perm) // So, pro’s of working for Hydrogen? The big one.. Money. Yes, get ready to double your paycheque every six months. It’s ridiculous. The commission’s structure is fantastic. There are incentives for everything to keep on achieving.. With hard work you get rewards. Simple. I’m not unrealistic though I appreciate money doesn’t just fall into your lap – but if you work hard like all Life Sciences do in a year you will be easily on an OTE of £60k/70k+. I’m serious.// Realistic targets – I don’t need to elaborate on this. But the best part is.. in a 1-1 with your manager you can move your KPI targets depending on what you need more focus on (EG. Candidate short market, more candidate calls than manager calls) // Another pro? Location. 2 minute walk from Monument station – tubes are never ‘overally crowded’ on that circle line therefore getting into work is hassle free (but then again, no excuse to be late). // I mentioned earlier transforming from a recruiter into a specialist. I absolutely mean this. If you want to be better, Hydrogen have the tools to make this happen. The team, the connections, the experience, the continual development training, the directors, the investments, the international business trips, the dedication and the time from everyone ensures you can make it as a specialist and get away from being a “high street recruiter” like I used to be. // I genuinely love coming to work. Things are going very well for me and Life Sciences team members.

Cons

Not every job is perfect. Even more so in a sales environment. We are salespeople and there are cons. // The length of hours. ANYONE in a sales environment should know recruitment is not a 9-5. If you’ve assumed it is, think again. But Hydrogen is notorious for early starts – late finishes. If performance is dropping, hours need to be made. I work a minimum of 10 hours a day, my social life for most week days have gone. // Large divide between the Hydrogen. I mentioned earlier that Hydrogen is split into a few sectors: Life Sciences, Business Transformation, Finance, Legal, Oil & Gas, Technology & Power. I hardly know these people unless they happen to cross my path or I’m located near them in the office. // The coffee machine provides rubbish coffee (we’re next door to Pret though).

Found 35 reviews