Hydrogen Group plc Employee Reviews about "commission structure"

Updated 23 Jan 2020

3.7
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple
Pros
  • "Hydrogen invest a lot of time and money into their employees, good training on offer with clearly define career paths(in 14 reviews)

• "Dynamic work environment with a commercial mindset(in 12 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "commission structure"

Return to all Reviews

"Good Training"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Its a great place to start your career, they have a good training scheme (UK only). They also work with some great clients (UK). There are some good leaders and people that really believe in the brand. Good commission structure

Cons

- Not much support to international offices - International offices need more senior leadership - Very competitive environment - Salaries could be better - The culture has changed significantly over the past few years

2. "Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to grow your career if you are willing to put in the work. Attractive and competitive compensation and commission structure that increases as you progress. Excellent training and unlimited resources are provided to ensure your success. Management is extremely supportive and cares about your development. Great company culture and work environment filled with some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Team atmosphere that motivates you to succeed. Would recommend to any entry level recruiter looking to start their career or an experience consultant looking to take it to the next level!

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

January 27, 2020CEO

Thank you for spending the time to leave a review of your experience working here. It's fantastic to hear feedback like this! Best Ian

3. "Wouldn't do it"

2.0
    Former Employee - Researcher in London, England

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a very big pressured environment which forces you to learn a lot quickly. If you dont learn you're fire within the month.

Cons

Very high pressured. I started as a research as didn't have previous experience in recruitment. You report to a manager who's commission is based on your performance. This make it very hard to step out of a researcher position, as the better you are at this job the more your manager will earn. The turn over in staff is outrageous, in the time i was there the majority of the team was let go, from director level down. Even employees which have been there 5 yrs, as soon as they have a bad month or 2 then they are out the door pretty quickly. The incentives are good, but again unless you have been in the company for over 5 yrs its unlikely you will become a top biller. It seemed that the market is now saturated and only the individuals who had been with the company for over 5 years could make any real money. They also changed the commission structure while i was there meaning it was even harder to achieve a good salary.

November 12, 2019CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We recognise that recruitment is not an industry for everybody as it requires patience and a lot of hard graft, and takes time to build strong candidate and client relationships. However, we take active steps to ensure our staff are fully supported and rewarded throughout the journey. We have a brilliant L&D programme, mentoring schemes, a competitive bonus structure and transparent targets for pay increases and promotions, across all levels. Your understanding of the manager bonus scheme is incorrect I am afraid. I do know that they want you to be successful and would explain and coach you in what you need to do to be successful in the industry. We pride ourselves on our incentive programmes which include a 'rookies' category, recognising and rewarding up and coming talent. We’re continuously reviewing our remuneration packages to incentivise a growth culture and none of these put the employee at a detriment as you have mentioned in your comment. Across Hydrogen, and especially EMEA, our staff attrition rate is the lowest it’s been in over 3 years, and is well below industry average as we have been significantly investing in our people and building a ‘great place to work’. I hope you have found a new role that suits you and allows you to achieve your career aspirations. Best Ian

4. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great learning opportunities, competitive atmosphere, performance and hard work is rewarded, good commission structure.

Cons

Company began to come apart at the end of employment there, tons of employee churn, old school KPI approach, employees not really treated like adults until they prove themselves.

July 24, 2019CEO

Thanks for your feedback – I’m really pleased you made the most of the learning opportunities here at Hydrogen, as I’m very proud of the growth mindset we promote. However, some of your comments are inaccurate. Our staff churn in H1 was the lowest it’s been in 3 years! Additionally, we have recently rolled out the ‘I own my time’ agenda to further enhance a flexible and adult working environment. The aim is to drive and promote a culture where productivity and accountability is key, as we empower our staff to progress their careers. Wishing you all the best for the future, Ian

"Great working environment and career progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

- Very clear, transparent and fair structure for progression (including a culture of promoting from within in the part of the business I work in) - Non-discretionary, uncapped commission scheme that rewards good performance. There is also no salary floor/threshold you have to hit before you start earning commission, which is rare in the industry, and great for new joiners in particular. - Great incentives - annual trip to places like Tokyo, Ibiza, Vegas, Cancun, Hvar, Goa etc - Minority Interest Scheme that allows ambitious managers to earn a real stake in their business - Other benefit perks like £10k interest free loan for first time buyers - We now have a much clearer and credible vision from leadership than previously - CEO and COO really believe in the company - Continually improving performance - reflected in share price increase

Cons

- I've not always been impressed with some of the senior (e.g. AD-D level) external hires in other parts of the business - I don't think we have very good internal recruitment processes - Whilst I think the commission structure is good when looking at the bigger picture, I do think the bandings can disincentivise senior staff from launching new incubators as it takes a while to build those new businesses to a point where you can benefit from the higher commission bands.

September 24, 2018CEO

Many thanks for the feedback. It's really good to hear! Best Ian

"Poor Leadership & Management. Recruitment Playground"

1.0

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Generally fair commission structure & sales support

Cons

It is a pity to see a great company like Hydrogen evolve to who they become today. The promise of effective managing has diluted along with time and the leadership team seems to be having fun rather than building the business. Senior managers are working on permanent placements despite focus being on only contracts. The teams moral running low because a colleague was made to leave without a valid reason despite having good billings and attitude towards work. Till today people were confused about the decision and it has caused much insecurity within the team. As those who had worked with successful teams before will know, the sense of being in an effective and dynamic unit is a rewarding one. But unfortunately you will never get to experience it again in Hydrogen Group Singapore. Your management team is destroying the business step by step, little by little.

October 26, 2018CEO

We are aware that an ex-employee who was sad to leave has posted on a forum that they will pay others to write negative reviews about our business. On the one hand, I’m pleased that people feel so passionately about working for our company that they are disappointed to leave. On the other, I’m astonished that people will cut and paste fake reviews for a bribe.

"Glory days are long behind us"

1.0
    Current Employee - Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We used to be a great place to work, with supportive senior management who contributed to the business and great incentives, until 2015 when the current COO started and is trying to turn what was a niche, specialist recruiter into his old company. Contractor care are great but over worked so things slip. IT are the best team in the company and hugely under valued. If you're going to join, join as a researcher, get your experience and leave, any level higher than that I wouldn't bother, you'll be valued and better paid elsewhere.

Cons

All the Directors bar two contribute nothing and piggy back off of their teams successes. One director even tried to steal a placement off of a consultant so she would hit her own targets. The hot headed COO changes targets and his mind on a daily basis. He's also just taken over Legal practice and everyone knows his 90s recruitment approach will not work in this sector. If you have to shout at and threaten staff then it's because YOUR management technique and business acumen is poor. New commission structure was rolled out this year which sounded good at first, but they conveniently kept bad aspects of it quiet hoping people wouldn't notice. Finance needs overhauling and they don't even reply to contractors a lot if the time. And yes I have raised these concerns and many more but nothing gets done.

September 5, 2017CEO

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. The issues you’ve raised here are very serious, and I’d like to investigate them further. I’d appreciate if you could contact me directly on iantemple@hydrogengroup.com Thanks Ian

"All to play for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working. 9-5 is unheard of in recruitment, and if you bill enough you can get away with it with minimal fuss. Transparent commission structure Incentives on the rise - free breakfast, corporate discount cards and discounted gym, dress down fridays (based on targets) etc. The Operations team proves that we've made the shift from old boy's club to meritocracy, internally promoting the Head of IT to COO was a great shout - someone who knows and actually cares about the business. Payroll team are great, run by a cracking manager who is always willing to help (and has numerous sweet treats at her desk). Social aspect - I doubt i'd have stayed this long if I didn't have a laugh with the people I work with. If you're not a recluse or social outcast you'll make some good mates. That goes for a few of the Seniors as well, who balance the professional / joker line quite well. Particular shoutout to the Director of Bus Tran. No KPIs.

Cons

MPAs are re-branded KPIs. Stats can sometimes take precedent at the expense of real work - but that's life. Occasionally have to stay a little past 5pm and get a slightly later train.

June 22, 2017CEO

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review about your time here at Hydrogen. I completely agree that’s it’s the people here who really make the difference! Our staff truly are the heart and soul of Hydrogen. Ian.

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Really friendly people and a fun place to work.

Cons

-Hours - Commission structure - Training/ Ongoing support

Continue reading

"Highly supportive, challenging & fun place to work"

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Great people, culture and values Business recognises, rewards and develops talent Hydrogen Group has many successful Practices with market leading propositions Progressive business, open to ideas from people at all levels Very competitive commission structure and benefits Generous incentives Senior management team are visible, knowledgeable and credible Organisation significantly invests into Learning and Development

Cons

Complacency in some areas impacting results Lack of consequence for under performance Levels of ownership and accountability

Found 21 reviews