Illumina Reviews

Found 1,224 of over 1,413 reviews

4.1
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza
Pros
  • "The work is fast paced and always changing depending on evolving needs(in 89 reviews)

• "The company encourages a healthy work life balance(in 88 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance could be better(in 74 reviews)

• "It is fast paced and can be crazy(in 67 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company

Apr 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Care about employees Cutting edge technology, progressive and innovative

Cons

Expanded very quickly over a few years, internal processes still catching up

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great benefits

Mar 28, 2021 - Quality Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits for all employees

Cons

Slow career growth, big organization

3. 2.0
      Former Employee

Room for Improvement

Oct 25, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to build significant business networks. Technology market leader for NGS Huge unrealised potential

Cons

Arrogant and not customer focused Atrocious internal management and zero career opportunities - a prime example of promoting a few from within regardless of competence. This was by far the most disappointing let down and life lesson for me. Too much internal politics Very US focused - other regions don’t count as much.

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's OK

Jun 2, 2020 - Commercial
      Business Outlook

Pros

Industry leader in genomics sequencing

Cons

Lack innovation. Product pipeline has stagnant.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working in Illumina

Apr 23, 2019 - Associate Director in Perth, Western Australia, Western Australia
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illumina is a great company to work for. The staff are friendly, open and collaborative. We share a common goal of improving human health by unlocking the power of the human genome and are very passionate about working towards that goal.

Cons

Working in Illumina is very fast-paced and working with colleagues across the globe is challenging. Having said that, if you enjoy those sorts of challenges (which I do), then the disadvantages are not disadvantages at all. Working remotely can also be challenging for those people who are not used to that type of work environment.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

One of the better place to be

Feb 7, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great focus on new outcomes and pushing boundaries A drive to improve Human Health A company focused on giving back to the community

Cons

Balance of changing demands/focuses High role change over company, due to rapid growth, means constant reinvention of strategy

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

So much potential yet to be realized

Sep 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

NGS technology is cutting edge and 80% market share Starting to implement nice employee programs, but still very US centric

Cons

Talk about international opportunities but woeful relocation help or benefits Struggling to become a clinical company because mindset is still RUO in many areas Business processes and systems are very inefficient and restrictive

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A People Focused Company Focused on Innovation and Culture

Jul 26, 2021 - Talent Acquisition Specialist in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Illumina for a little over two months and it has been everything promised and so much more. The mission statement of unlocking the power of the Genome is the true lifeblood of the company as every single employees knows the differences they are making in the world. Being in Talent Acquisition, I know I have a direct affect on our Innovation as I could be helping find the next great inventor to help drive early cancer detection through our research. Ultimately, the culture is amazing and I could not be happier that I found my dream company to work for!

Cons

There isn't much that I dislike at Illumina, but, I can't wait to be able to get back to campus and work alongside my fellow colleagues. The campus is gorgeous, but, due to Covid, we are still working in a remote capacity.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great culture, but Poor compensation for technical talent

Jul 25, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The campus is beautiful - Great teammates, great managers who care about their teams - Lots of smart people - It seems easy to move up in this company provided you show potential and demonstrate your worth

Cons

- Employees work too much - poor work-life balance - Illumina seriously underpays its technical employees, especially in Software Engineering. If you look at any salary website such as Glassdoor or levels.fyi, you will immediately see that Illumina pays often about 50% of what other companies are offering in the same geographic location. It is difficult to negotiate a better compensation package to match the market. The stock grants are much smaller than you can get anywhere else - seriously, my other offers gave 15-20x the amount of stock I received in my Illumina offer. I'm sure that the below-market compensation is the reason why during company meetings employees always point out how large numbers of people are leaving the company and joining competitors for better compensation. Illumina offers bottom-of-the-barrel compensation yet expects to recruit and retain top-level talent.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Jul 26, 2021 - Engineer II in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits- inexpensive healthcare, 401k matching, ESPP, yearly equity grant, health and wellness stipend, onsite gym, great work life balance, great company culture, intramural leagues, open minded environment Chance to work on incredible products that actually help people in a market that's only set to grow

Cons

Can still feel like a start up sometimes Constant "reorganizing" which can disrupt workflows and disband established teams

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,224 Reviews