Innovate UK Reviews

Updated 16 Jul 2020

3.3
  1. "Great company to work for"

4.0

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Long hours can be required

2. "Does not like to support their own"

2.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Innovate UK part-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefit and other members of staff are great to work with

Cons

does not like to hire 'up' internally when you do get this opportunity, refuse to match salaries to others who came into the exact same position externally. Was offered a management position for my current pay despite others coming in for higher salaries. Like to spout that they are a work/life balance friendly but had two requested for alternative work arrangements shut down when I had to get a recommendation for a Dr, and HR proceeded to make my life difficult during this transition.

3. "Good Place to Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Management Accountant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly and supportive organisation with good training opportunities, lots of opportunities to develop and progress, great managers.

Cons

As with any public sector organisation, decision making and change can be slow.

4. "Not as good as it should be"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Innovate UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and conditions, work life balance, variey

Cons

Its more like a government department than a business. No connection between activity and mission (no numerical KPIs so how do you know if you're doing a good job?) Management is cliquey, senior management even more so, and so promotion is based on relationships not merit.

Continue reading
  5. "Supportive and interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance Executive

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training opportunities, lots of opportunities to develop and progress, great managers.

Cons

benefits are changing and we have lost our bonus

"A dynamic and worthwhile organisation"

4.0
    Former Employee - Head of Corporate Communications

I worked at Innovate UK full-time

Pros

Sense of mission and reward; surrounded by bright and enthusiastic people; a dynamic and challenging environment.

Cons

Many competing priorities; uncertainty pending merger into UKRI.

7. "Interesting"

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time

Pros

interesting and wide ranging work, great colleagues

Cons

none that i have experienced

"Rudderless, self-serving management, bullying culture, crooks paid off."

1.0
     in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Innovate UK for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent supposed mission - if only some of the staff knew what it was like to a startup or early stage SME!

Cons

Where to start?! The CEO that came in around 2014/15 was out of her depth, but felt that she was royalty. She remained too remote to ever understand the organisation and ended up simply slavishly adhering to the whims of the sponsoring government department. A lack of transparency in appointments saw bizarre promotions - particularly for those close to the CEO or whos faced fitted, irrespective of ability. The remote CEO and weak HR department (whose sole purpose was to obey, rather than challenge, management, hushing up grievances, bullying cases and whistle-blowing reports, paying off the guilty with 5-figure sums, while sacking the complainants. A woeful shower, particularly given that there are many talented individuals within the organisation.

Continue reading

"Let down by weak leadership"

2.0

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time

Pros

If you're working in the innovation areas directly, there's a lot of flexibility and you basically design your own job. No-one's checking up on you, so there's a high degree of trust involved. The annual leave allowance and additional expenses allowances are pretty good

Cons

- The organisation has been through constant change, sometimes reversing direction, and with no clear vision of the organisation's future. The culmination of this is that it's been absorbed into UKRI which is tragic. - The staff haven't been well engaged in any of the changes and there has been any external support to manage the change or culture. - The culture has elements of machismo and hero worship (except what heroes there are, aren't in the leadership team). As a result, staff, many of whom are highly experienced, get treated as junior hires. - Bullying is rife and the bullies seem to be rewarded with promotion - Career development is almost non-existent, except for the favoured few and it's far from clear why they are favoured At least partly as a result, wellbeing scores are shockingly low. In fact, people are having breakdowns and going off sick, long term - It's becoming ever more bureaucratic

"Disorganised and corrupt"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colchester, England

I have been working at Innovate UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Home based-so some flexibility

Cons

How long have you got...! Promoting incapable people to authority positions. The rot starts from the top-turf out the corrupt rubbish at the top and weeding out the lazy so and so’s will follow-paving the way for a more productive business.

Found 19 reviews