International Committee of the Red Cross Employee Reviews about "humanitarian"

Updated 28 Jan 2020

4.0
International Committee of the Red Cross President Peter Maurer
Peter Maurer
Pros
  • "Want to go more higher in another working environment to aquire more knowledge and skills(in 16 reviews)

• "I am a proud former employee of ICRC in Baku, Azerbaijan(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you love humanitarian work and ICRC mission, please go for it(in 14 reviews)

• "Difference between local staff and expats(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "humanitarian"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing place to work at."

5.0
    Former Employee - Data Entry Operator in Baku

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved this place, the organizations mission, employees, salary. I am a proud former employee of ICRC in Baku, Azerbaijan. If not my relocation to the USA, I would not leave this company.

Cons

No cons to mention, really. If you love humanitarian work and ICRC mission, please go for it.

2. "Fantastic employer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

Valuable mission, sense of purpose, friendly colleagues, opportunities to experience the world.

Cons

Risky humanitarian work, hard work.

"Great humanitarian organization"

4.0

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Organization is restructuring its compensation package in order to retain employees as well as fostering hardship missions through added benefits. Salary and insurance are competitive if you hold a certain type of expertise with Masters degree: Medical, Engineering, Logistics, Finance, etc. Housing conditions are most of the time up to a very good standard.

Cons

Expect some hardship missions on the first two years so as prove your cope capacity and professionalism under pressure. As in any other context, there is no perfect humanitarian organization and the ICRC still has some "bad apples' among its workforce that believe in self-entitlement and privileges.

Continue reading

"Toxic working environment, backstabbing culture"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

Starting salary is good, but that being said, there is little room for advancement. Generally flexible working environment. Good for someone with busy family life.

Cons

Some managers are simply inconceivable. They don't like you during the many rounds of interviews but they somehow decide to hire you and later decide that they still don't like you so they do everything to make you feel uncomfortable and force you to leave. Totally insane. Managers are self-contradictory and refuse to acknowledge problems let alone solving them. They will just blame new comers who point out the problem and punish them for being a headache. I have the impression that they expect new comers to be geniuses with supernatural power who can solve the long-standing conflicts between some of the departments without asking for inputs from the conflicting parties. They don't want problems but they don't want to solve them either. All they want is a miracle. The working environment is extremely toxic as your every move is closely watched and if you have one tiny little mistake, some really sick managers will be literally thrilled. They also encourage reporting on each other so they will have more opportunities to be thrilled. Seems that good work is the least important thing and making sure employees suffer a lot and have mental breakdowns every day is their major concern. I still can't believe a well-respected humanitarian organization can have such mentally deranged managers, and not just one as such management style is not punished but encouraged. If you don't cooperate with the mentally unbalanced senior manager, he will use all the above mentioned tricks to make sure you live in hell. Cooperate with him and you become part of that sick team. I totally agree with a previous post, save yourself therapy time and don't apply. It seriously affects your mental health.

Continue reading

"Big machine, very ethnocentric approach to cultures and not the best HR management"

2.0
    Administrateur

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross

Pros

Unique experience abroad and meeting many people from different cultures in difficult contexts. Salary level very good with advantage from having very little charges to pay.

Cons

Totally ethnocentric approach: procedures and guidelines based on Swiss culture and transferred to other countries without taking any difference into account. Big gap between expats and local staff: expat houses and parties, money, etc - with often very little "mix" with local employees and even less with local people not ICRC employees. If you like having fun, go for it, but not don't expect "human" approach in a humanitarian environment...

Continue reading

"Colleagues committed to humanitarian work x committed to climb up the carrer ladder"

Protection Delegue in London, England

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross for more than 3 years

Pros

I met a lot of wonderful colleagues deeply committed to the humanitarian work, especially so called experts.

Cons

I met a lot of people in management who were committed to climb up the career lader rather then to any humanitarian principles. These people were very effective in getting others out of their way up. I have seen quite a few friends leaving the organization for another one. The management is not able to keep good ones. Salary i very high but it is not all after all.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews