International Committee of the Red Cross Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated 3 Feb 2020

International Committee of the Red Cross President Peter Maurer
Peter Maurer
Pros
  • "Want to go more higher in another working environment to aquire more knowledge and skills(in 16 reviews)

• "I am a proud former employee of ICRC in Baku, Azerbaijan(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you love humanitarian work and ICRC mission, please go for it(in 14 reviews)

• "Difference between local staff and expats(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Medical advisor specialist occupational medicine"

Current Employee - Medical Advisor in Geneva

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

company with highly diversified professional challenge and international working environment

Cons

moderately disorganized stile of work , discontinuity of strategic choices which prevents employee to acquire full maturity in their endeavors

Continue reading
  2. "Great work environment"

Former Employee - Field Officer in Beirut

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly professional working environment and ethical

Cons

Might sometimes lack monitoring old managers

Continue reading

3. "Great organization to work for"

Former Employee - Diplomatic Adviser in Addis Ababa

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ICRC is a fantastic work environment. A lot of hard work and lessons learned. The organization offers capacity building and education fund.

Cons

For national staff, the room for growth is limited as is salary.

"Great organisation with mission"

Former Employee - Communications Officer in Geneva

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Motivated employees. Highly professional and hard-working environment.

Cons

Might be too hierarchical.

5. "Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Port Harcourt

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cons

It will improve me more higher

Continue reading
  6. "Protection Field Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biu

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

A challenging environment to work with

Cons

Working to help the needed becoming the order of the day

7. "ICRC`"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross

Pros

I believe that ICRC is best environment to work.

Cons

I believe has no Cons

"Big organization and small people !"

Former Employee - Water/Wastewater Engineer in Damascus
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you enjoy good working environment , international colleagues , good Salary, useful training and the satisfaction coming from doing your daily work in saving the world

Cons

some times you have to work with unqualified or fresh expats with different attitudes about the mission country ( duty station) .... too much work pressure especially in emergencies .... too much neutrality often mixed with becoming passive ..

"Toxic working environment, backstabbing culture"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

Starting salary is good, but that being said, there is little room for advancement. Generally flexible working environment. Good for someone with busy family life.

Cons

Some managers are simply inconceivable. They don't like you during the many rounds of interviews but they somehow decide to hire you and later decide that they still don't like you so they do everything to make you feel uncomfortable and force you to leave. Totally insane. Managers are self-contradictory and refuse to acknowledge problems let alone solving them. They will just blame new comers who point out the problem and punish them for being a headache. I have the impression that they expect new comers to be geniuses with supernatural power who can solve the long-standing conflicts between some of the departments without asking for inputs from the conflicting parties. They don't want problems but they don't want to solve them either. All they want is a miracle. The working environment is extremely toxic as your every move is closely watched and if you have one tiny little mistake, some really sick managers will be literally thrilled. They also encourage reporting on each other so they will have more opportunities to be thrilled. Seems that good work is the least important thing and making sure employees suffer a lot and have mental breakdowns every day is their major concern. I still can't believe a well-respected humanitarian organization can have such mentally deranged managers, and not just one as such management style is not punished but encouraged. If you don't cooperate with the mentally unbalanced senior manager, he will use all the above mentioned tricks to make sure you live in hell. Cooperate with him and you become part of that sick team. I totally agree with a previous post, save yourself therapy time and don't apply. It seriously affects your mental health.

Continue reading

"Great for people who are adaptable"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross for more than a year

Pros

Meaningful work; clear operational structure and internal ethics; diverse and dynamic work environment

Cons

Very little decision-making power in first two year; hierarchical and bureaucratic; high-stress high-risk work environment

Found 15 reviews