K&L Gates LLP Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.5
K&L Gates LLP Global Managing Partner James R. Segerdahl (no image)
James R. Segerdahl
Pros
Cons
  • "I enjoyed working at K&L Gates and would recommend it to anyone looking for a big-firm experience(in 10 reviews)

• "Zero work life balance if you are on call(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great company"

5.0

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company, flexible work options and one of the best maternity leave policies I have seen.

Cons

Everyone sits in individual offices

2. "Profits over people"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Internal training and external events were well run. People are generally friendly.

Cons

Partners and HR don't care about staff. Slow to no career progression. Below market salary increases. Diversity and Inclusion purely lip service. Toxic people rewarded and promoted. People complain about them and nothing gets done so good people end up leaving. BD team are useless. A revolving door of people that take no responsibility for their work.

3. "Shameful"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Sydney

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- good social club committee events - fun Christmas parties - 24/7 WP service - helpful office services

Cons

The absolute truth here is, is that they don't care about you unless you're making money. Assistants and secretaries are considered bottom of the heap, and unless you fit into "their mold" you'll be out. They protect senior lawyers over young and juvenile staff and if you're unhappy with treatment by other staff they pretty much tell you to suck it up or move on. I knew people personally bullied for years by their direct manager and even the practice group leaders knew they were an issue and bullied people yet did nothing about it. HR are absolutely ruthless and will categorically lie to you to get what they want, unless you're best buds with them don't trust them. they will throw yo under the bus quicker than you could believe. If you have any kind of personality or identity, be prepared to loose that in order to keep your job here. I wouldn't recommend working here to my worst enemy. the best day of my life was getting offered a job else were and leaving!

4. "Typical international law firm"

Current Employee - Lawyer in Sydney

I have been working at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

External and internal events and workshops, people are nice and easy to get along with

Cons

Office politics, some people are too controlling/judgmental, lacking leadership, too much involvement from US

5. "Client Operations Manager"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time

Pros

Quality office fit out, global reach

Cons

No culture and team initiative are false

6. "Well taken care of"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at K&L Gates LLP full-time

Pros

- Corporate discounts with health insurance - Subsidised gym membership - Flexible working arrangements - Central CBD location

Cons

- Centralised international management chain - Lacking clear career prospoects

7. "Lawyer"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, nice offices, culture

Cons

Too much involvement from US

Continue reading

"If it looks to good to be true, it probably is!"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

* You will meet a few like minded people, to whom I suggest you hang on to; * Friday night drinks once a fortnight; * Extra-curricular sporting activities to sign up for; * Paid social club (Nb: There is no real advantage to this, as you still end up paying more money to participate in social club events); and * Nice view from offices.

Cons

* Very little work/life balance – both paralegals and clerks are expected to stay back late and work weekends; * No overtime, time in lieu or bonuses, even when staying back late and working weekends; * Lawyers, clerks and paralegals are expected to use their own phones, internet, computers, etc. and check emails around the clock; * Toxic working environment in many practice areas; * Many senior lawyers allowed to behave appallingly without any consequences except to those that speak with HR; * All talk regarding equality, support, flexible work environment as there are consequences to taking advantage of these; * Career progression is non-existent in some practice areas; * Senior lawyers wanting to train and mentor others are few and far between; and * Pay is NOT commensurate with hours worked, unless at Partner level.

Continue reading

"Completely regret working here"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

24 hour word processing

Cons

The IT systems are horrific (very clunky and slow - as everything goes through the US); the office is very dirty (no cleaning for days of kitchenettes etc); HR are unhelpful, rude and condescending; The culture is very hierarchical and stuffy. Partners do minimal work and are rarely in the office and junior employees are at breaking point very little support; lawyers are not given laptops or phones (yet you will be required to work 7 days at all hours on your personal devices); There is no transparency in bonuses (being senior and male = definite bonus. if not, very unlikely); Poor work / life balance and no flexibility (work from home or part time etc).

10. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate Lawyer in Sydney

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good quality matters, opportunities to work directly with partners and clients on complex matters

Cons

Some technology used by firm can be outdated and frustrating

Found 249 reviews