Kinder Kids International School Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Kimiko Nakayama

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Native English teacher"

Current Employee - Native English Teacher in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)
    Current Employee - Native English Teacher in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is always paid on time.
    Get to spend the whole day with the same children allows a strong bond to develop.
    An excellent base curriculum.
    Time off in spring, summer and winter. Plus an additional ten days a year ( at the companies discretion).

Cons

Curriculum has become bloated in recent years, stifling creativity.
    A strange corporate culture of ridicule rather than support.
    Micro managed like children.
    Difficult to be yourself.

Advice to Management

Allow teachers more space to bring their skills into the classroom. One way is not the only way.
    Understand that we are not all motivated by money.
    We need more preparation time ( and we are fed up of you saying you hear us, before adding more online forms for us to complete ).
    Too much reposibilty is now in the hands of too few managers. They are not as good as they think they are.

2. "Working at Kinder Kids!"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonding with the students and parents is unlike any teaching job you will experience in Japan. The company has structures in place to let people (who are willing and capable) rise up the ranks into management positions. The company provides detailed training in all aspects of teaching, as well as management training. I came away with many skills I did not have before. Great pay and holidays!

Cons

Very busy workload sporadically through the year, can be very high pressure at times. Things get easier the longer you work for the company though.

3. "Daycare Teacher"

Former Employee - Daycare Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Daycare Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity for non-experienced in teaching English to children. They provide good training for the beginning. Flexible schedule for part-timers is also a plus.

Cons

Very low salary even when you compare with exactly the same position in a different company. At the same time, they require high multitasking while teaching/taking care of children.

4. "Fun and friendly learning environment with considerate teammates"

Current Employee - Daycare Teacher in Yokohama, Kanagawa (Japan)
    Current Employee - Daycare Teacher in Yokohama, Kanagawa (Japan)

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company provides trainings and workshops especially for those are newly-hired to help teachers become more skillful and resourceful. It’s a good opportunity to learn more about teaching and child care.

Cons

Great place to work but it’s Physically demanding and challenging.

Advice to Management

Daycare assistants deserve more raise since they do lessons and child care.

5. "Great place to work with room for improvement"

Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a fun and tremendously rewarding experience. I will never forget the four the years I spent teaching with Kinder Kids. But be warned -- you will work, and you will be tired. This is not a job for someone who wants an easy English teaching gig. If you are truly passionate about it and put forth your best effort, keep a positive attitude and are willing to adapt to change, you'll have a great time and love what you do. And if you're not? Abandon hope all ye who enter.

The management in the company works incredibly hard to support and provide resources to teachers. They want you to succeed. Many of my fellow teachers had been with Kinder Kids for nearly a decade when I started. It was amazing how passionate and hard-working everyone was. Nowhere else I worked in Japan had quite the atmosphere of enthusiasm and creativity.

Cons

Not so much a criticism as an observation -- Many of the Japanese staff complain that they are working harder than the native staff, and for less money (which is in some cases very true). Obviously, there's a lot more to it than arbitrary income disparity, but it doesn't seem like the issue is being addressed in a way that seeks to appease those most affected. When half of the employees feel that they're being under-compensated without any avenues for voicing their opinions other than staff-room chit-chat, negativity ensues and begins to spread.

One more thing to note is that the staff assigned to your school at the beginning of any given school-year will greatly determine whether your Kinder Kids experience is a positive or negative one. You might have a group with wonderful camaraderie and enthusiasm, who support each other and want the best for the team, in which case you'll have an amazing time. You might, however, get something far less desirable, and you'll be stuck with it for at least a year. I wish there was a way to change this, but it's probably just the nature of the beast. Same goes for your teaching partner. I had the good fortune to partner with some funny and talented people during my time, but a bad match can be miserable.

Advice to Management

If I really must pick something, emphasize improving what you have over expanding and opening new schools. It seems like more could be done to improve the quality of schools and well-being of teachers before developing beachfront property. Kindergartens don't need swimming pools, but they do need happy people working in them. Maybe that's not the best business model, but then education isn't all about business.

"Loved my students, Head Office can be disappointing sometimes"

Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Ibaraki (Japan)
    Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Ibaraki (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are amazing
    Most co-workers are fun
    Time outside
    Ability to create

Cons

Lack of follow-through
    Lack of consistency

Advice to Management

Make sure all teachers are on the same page, stop bribing for reviews. I completed 4 contracts successfully, never got the letter of recommendation I was promised.

7. "good experience, sometimes very demanding, but worth it!"

Current Employee - Nursery Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Nursery Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-the children!
    -co-workers and management
    -you are always busy (i like being busy!)
    -well organized curriculum
    -very supportive environment

Cons

-not enough prep time
    -some school buildings look old/not enough space for kids
    -old toys
    -work/life balance can be challenging
    -company seemed to be focussed on how to make more money although at some point the managers should think about investing more in the kid's wellbeing (more/new toys, better playgrounds outside)
    -too many rules (if you compare it to other preschools)

"Great employee benefits and a good curriculum"

Former Employee - Full-Time Teacher in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)
    Former Employee - Full-Time Teacher in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good salary
    - Generous amount of annual leave
    - Great kids
    - Good amount of freedom around activity planning and structure
    - Freedom to be creative with kids

Cons

- Different schools operate differently and have different standards and ways of doing things which can create issues if you are covering or are transferred to another school.
    - I observed some bullying.
    - Overtime hours, especially around events can be demanding.

"Day Care Assistants"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time

Pros

It's been wonderful when you get a second chance, then full support, help and insights are provided. Always!

Cons

The schedule is quite tough and partners are changed often. Different school has different rules. You need to adjust yourself to it as quick as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep making improvement :)

"Daycare Assistant"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time

Pros

Paid transportation, you don't have to be a native English speaker as a part time worker.

Cons

Lack of staff, can be very busy.

Advice to Management

Hire more regular workers / part timers (not only cover teachers).