Kinder Kids International School Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Kimiko Nakayama

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Day Care Assistants"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time

Pros

It's been wonderful when you get a second chance, then full support, help and insights are provided. Always!

Cons

The schedule is quite tough and partners are changed often. Different school has different rules. You need to adjust yourself to it as quick as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep making improvement :)

"Daycare Assistant"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time

Pros

Paid transportation, you don't have to be a native English speaker as a part time worker.

Cons

Lack of staff, can be very busy.

Advice to Management

Hire more regular workers / part timers (not only cover teachers).

"A bit depressing."

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time

Pros

Easy to take time off.
    Great kids
    Many Locations
    Easy to get hired
    It did feel nice to be in a big company. Kind of a secured feeling.

Cons

This job will take over your life. Being a substitute teacher was kind of awful. They would send us to schools that would maybe be a two hour commute from my apartment. Doesn't matter how far away you are, if you are scheduled then you gotta go. You never really got a chance to connect with any of the kids because you'd be shipped from one school to the next. The kids would sometimes recognize you, but at best you'd be looked at as a "playmate". In my experience as a substitute teacher, you never actually get to "teach" a class. I would be scheduled as the class teacher, but usually the partner teacher would take over. Honestly it felt like I was disposable. Just a stand in play partner for the kids and someone to mop the floor.

The management wasn't horrible but I was frustrated with them. There would be major lack of communication from them when I needed to ask something. Also to note, sometimes there would be holiday events for the staff. All of the class teachers would get invitations to them via email, yet us substitute teachers were "somehow" left out of those mass email invites. Like I said in my earlier notes, I felt very disposable.

Also to note, the job takes over your life. Our shifts are supposed to be from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm. Yet I would see teachers stay after hours to create lesson plans. They would stay at the school (with unpaid overtime) to work on lesson plans they had no time to work on during the day. I met a teacher that came in on his day off to work on his lessons because he was tired of coming back home so late during the week. Everyone is in a constant rush during the school. You have to be because your working with babies and young children. But by the end of the day, you just want to pass out. Thats what the life is. Wake up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, sleep. That was the routine for most of the employees at the company.

It wasn't a horrible job. It was just exhausting and for me personally, a bit depressing.

Advice to Management

Please give teachers more time for prep.
    Please try to remember that the substitute teachers are employees too. We are not any less than the class teachers.
    Please work on communication.

"Best Job I've had in Japan"

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Above average salary, lively workplace, a highly detailed and developed in-house curriculum that continues to evolve and improve, awesome co-workers & social opportunities, comprehensive training and support for new teachers.

Cons

Not recommended for those looking for an easy job to fund their Japan experience. Engaging with and teaching children can be hard work - be prepared to put in the work and you will reap the benefits, don't be prepared and you might not enjoy yourself or the work so much. Don't expect to come in and change the game year one - even with a qualification and experience you should earn your stripes by proving you can follow and meet expectations.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, maintain the humanity in management. In my opinion it has been this trait that has helped the company to the success it has thus far had.

"Average Wages, Fewer Work Hours/ Days and Higher Expectations"

Current Employee - Part Time Teacher
    Current Employee - Part Time Teacher

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A new teacher with no experience would get exposed to a better than average curriculum.

Cons

The volume of work asked of the students exceeds the time allotted, so there is often a lack of time to finish all the activities in a way which produces deep learning. There is also a lack of time to finish non-teaching responsibilities within the time allowed.

The wages are average, in fact, I earn the same amount as I did nine years ago at any average part time English teaching position. The biggest drawback of working here is an unusually high number of unpaid holidays compared to most employers in this industry.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Positioning yourselves as a top school should come with the reality and commitment to deliver it. Your expectations for your students and employees exceeds your willingness to deliver appropriate resources from your end to achieve said expectations.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - English Teacher
    Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comprehensive training, upper management encourages feedback and idea sharing about curriculum and policies, performance reviews are helpful, sufficient days off and sick days per year, the pay is fine/slightly better than average

Cons

You may get sick a lot in the first year, behavior management techniques seem straightforward but they take practice (the kids can be crazy at times), as a cover teacher you have to travel a lot and your schedule is unpredictable

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I feet supported and respected as an employee. I heard some bad rumors from a female employee about the owner of the company. Not sure if they are true, but it might be something to try and mitigate.

"Working at II Kids"

Former Employee - II Kids Teacher in Tama, Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - II Kids Teacher in Tama, Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At II Kids the team were extremely friendly and welcoming, full training was given via shadowing other teachers and having supervised lessons. The support team to the teachers are also exceptional answering any questions or providing any Japanese language assistance.
    Work days varied and were fun changing on a daily basis, from cooking to science, kids can learn English in a accessible and progressive way.
    Pay was great for a part timer and travel was included.
    Working alongside fully qualified teachers gave invaluable experience and all the way up to senior staff were available to help me get to grips with any queries I had.

Cons

My school was bit far from city centre, but there are several sites and I quite enjoyed the commute.

"A job with many challenges and many rewards"

Current Employee - Class Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Class Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You are the teacher responsible for your class. Interpersonal skills grow. Creative international coworkers. Children are awesome. Paid Government Holidays.

Cons

Many different nationalities under one roof, disagreements arise. Interpersonal skills are tested.

Advice to Management

Show a more united front between Japanese and Foreign Management to inspire the same in teachers and school staff.

"Lots of time and effort = More Rewards"

Former Employee - Full Time Kinder Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Full Time Kinder Teacher in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids! Teaching a fun age within a kindergarten is more rewarding than ALT and standard Eikawa schools. Good collection of staff from around the world.
    Put the effort and you will be rewarded with salary increase and satisfied parents and children

Cons

Very hard to get to grips with, though Localised Education Chiefs and Head Teachers help out where possible. Not a good job if you like an easy paced day- however I like to be busy. Can be hit and miss depending on the team you work with as internal transfer often occur

Advice to Management

Have more Education Chiefs and Supporters to help the newer teachers

"Good If you like long hours for low wages"

Former Employee - Nursery Teacher in Toyonaka (Japan)
    Former Employee - Nursery Teacher in Toyonaka (Japan)

I worked at Kinder Kids International School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers were supportive
    -relocation bonus
    -professional development
    -the children were the best part

Cons

-Training was not catered to all levels
    -Do more cleaning than teaching
    -Illegal clauses in contract
    -2 faced head teacher/education head
    -Trades good reviews on glassdoor for recommendations

Advice to Management

to decrease turnover of teachers stop running your company like a business and more like a school.