Kool Smiles Dentist Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Kool Smiles Dentist Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2019

3.7
Kool Smiles CEO Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth

"A good place to start out."

Former Employee - Dentist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

Pros

Contrary to popular belief, the care about their patient and push for quality care

Cons

Untrained assistants. And Workplace drama.

Advice to Management

Train assistants well. Investigate work place issues properly before taking sides.

Kool Smiles2019-04-27
  2. "Fun working with children"

Associate Dentist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Kool Smiles for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping the underserved community Great experience with pediatric dentistry

Cons

They need to get more qualified than assistants

Advice to Management

South Carolina needs to be managed as well as Texas. The Texas clinic’s are more organized with better supplies

Kool Smiles2018-08-30
  3. "Only if you have to..."

Former Employee - Dentist

I worked at Kool Smiles part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are desperate for money, need help with a work visa or some student loan forgiveness, it is okay short term and part time

Cons

Treatment planning is determined by coverage not clinical indications. The "mission" is to maximize Medicaid billing. Providers are encouraged to perform procedures rather than provide real health care. There is little or no continuity of care or regard for the patients. Your clinical skills will deteriorate quickly.

Advice to Management

Provide real dental care

Kool Smiles2018-07-18
  4. "Dentist"

Former Employee - Dentist in Houston, TX

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

Pros

No exams are paid for

Cons

Great benefit like 401k and medical

Advice to Management

Hope exam fees are paid

Kool Smiles2017-05-09
  5. "Private practice versus corporate"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When things break in the office, you don't have to worry. When an employee decides to move, have a baby, etc., you don't have to worry. When you want something done, you just mention it, and it is taken care of. Working here is definitely less stress than owning your own. The benefits are nice, which is rare in private practice.

Cons

There isn't much paid time off given, but, if you are in private practice, you don't get any time off. That is really the only negative I can think of.

Kool Smiles2016-10-21
  6. "Kool Smiles is missions driven"

Current Employee - Dentist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with Kool Smiles for about 6+ years. I enjoy working here because it feels like I work with family, as you become united when you join together for a greater purpose, which at Kool Smiles is for the mission of providing quality dental care to under served communities. I really enjoy everyone with whom I work and it's a great feeling to know that what I do makes a difference.

Cons

As with any job, there are good days and bad days but I think it helps to know that the overall vision of what we do is positive.

Kool Smiles2016-10-17
  7. "Associate Dentist"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I particularly like the fast-pace during the treatment day. I consider my workday as a mix of Hygiene checks, Operative and Surgical procedures. The best aspect is the friendly, family atmosphere of the co-workers working to the common purpose.

Cons

Inability to schedule vacation or PTO days during the summer peak patient period. This makes family vacations difficult to fit in to school summer periods.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out to those of us providing care with office visits which allow insight into decision making. We enjoy putting faces with the names of those who affect our daily schedules.

Kool Smiles2016-10-06

"Kool smiles employee review"

General Dentist in Gretna, LA

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

Great support from co workers(doctors) and area dental directors. Don't have to worry about management of front office.

Cons

Don't get paid for hygiene checks which accounts for more than operative procedures.

Advice to Management

Paying doctors for hygiene checks might help y'all keep them in the company for a longer time

Kool Smiles2016-10-18
  9. "Good"

Dentist

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

Very nice people Free interview Nice place

Cons

Long working hours Less income Not clear

Kool Smiles2016-09-10

"General dentist"

Former Employee - General Dentist

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job that pays. After graduation, a new dentist with no experience needs somewhere to begin their career. This is where I began my career. I wanted to get more experience with kids and that's exactly what I got.

Cons

Seeing 40 to 50 patients a day (most of them were children) this WILL drain you Working through lunch...going home late Five days off a year Working every night after leaving the office (charts charts and more charts) Dental director that pressures you for more production Limited room for professional growth They don't mention this, but you will be expected to do comprehensive exams (hygiene checks) that you... will never be compensated for, this will annoy you once you realize how much time you spend doing them. It will also annoy you while doing operative (where compensation occurs), and you constantly get called for hygiene checks. Personally I didn't get many Saturday's off, working five days on and one day off occurred a lot, my schedule was never steady. There may be some docs that have worked for this company with a better history than I have had. Unfortunately this company was not for me. When I handed in my 90 day notice it was a long wait....but I found something better....way better. I enjoy work and my life outside of it now.

Advice to Management

This is actually advice to dentist considering a position with this company. Cooperate dentistry should be a last resort get in and get out. Look into 3r.net, the national health service corps, local community clinics.

Kool Smiles2015-08-16