Kool Smiles Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Kool Smiles Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 270 reviews

3.4
Kool Smiles CEO Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth
  1. "Expanded Duty Dental Assistant"

Former Employee - Expanded Functions Dental Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Kool Smiles part-time for more than a year

Pros

A good company depending on the higher up coworkers and how you get along with them.

Cons

Not enough time to clean a room especially if a lot of blood has come in contact with non-removable surfaces and too much micro managing with that area as well. Hygiene is kind of the same when it comes down to cleaning not enough time. Unless you don't care and that can make you a faster worker, but also get you in trouble.

Advice to Management

Allow more time to clean and print ALL necessary forms to be signed for consent before treatment. That way workers can grow without unnecessary pressure. Thanks

Kool Smiles2017-09-19
  2. "Get them in, get their money, get them out!"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Kool Smiles part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work with many underprivileged children. That's about all I can honestly say. I'm out as soon as I get another offer.

Cons

Owners and management only care about the bottom dollar. HIGH turnover in staff and doctors. Health insurance (if you are able to ever get to a full time status) is TERRIBLE.

Advice to Management

Don't make empty promises to your employees. I was told I'd be full time. Months later and I'm still part time. Im a single parent! I turned down several FULL TIME job offers to work here because of what I was told.

Kool Smiles2017-09-19
  3. "Being qualified for the job."

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Forest Park, GA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn a lot. Hard work and fast paced.

Cons

Favoritism. Lack of management abilities.

Kool Smiles2017-09-14
  4. "Ortho Assistant"

Former Employee - Orthodontic Assistant in Jackson, MS

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to experience orthodontics and a dental corporate world.

Cons

They were very strict and I felt like a minority.

Advice to Management

N/A

Kool Smiles2017-09-12

"Unorganized and little communication about the position."

Former Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team members on location. It was refreshing to work with people who care about what they do. You don't get that in a lot of business settings.

Cons

Again, the corporate relationship with people on the ground was a bit frustrating. It felt like we were people on the side.

Kool Smiles2017-07-31

"Avoid if you can. This company will drain you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO, short term disability insurance if you need it, and usually some food as a reward.

Cons

Long hours, constantly being understaffed while overbooked, little room for growth. The environment can become catty and favoritism does come into play. Management does not always come through on what they say they will do.

Advice to Management

Focus more on job performance instead of facilitating friendships and coddling feelings. Also, have management who actually comes to work and doesn't take vacations and time off every week.

Kool Smiles2017-08-10
  7. "Great job"

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

They were great gave me options

Cons

They helped me and my sister

Kool Smiles2017-07-19

"Patient Services Rep"

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

Monthly bonus Great staff Awesome hours

Cons

Must work 1 weekend a month

Kool Smiles2017-05-17

"Not a great work environment"

Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time

Pros

Pay is ok for Office Managers. The company really does have a good mission and intentions and provides a service to people who otherwise might not have anywhere else to go.

Cons

Because Medicaid pays so little and the patients have a very low show rate (due to the fact that you cannot charge them a no show fee), Kool Smiles perpetually overbooks their patients to compensate. When there is a low show rate, it's fine. But certain times of the day (especially when kids are out of school) it is a perfect storm and everyone shows up and you have 12 people booked when you have 8 chairs in hygiene... and 7 people booked when you only have 4 spots in operatory. You cannot possibly see everyone on time for their appointment. You constantly have to deal with patients and parents who are angry that you are always behind on schedule. Their call center verifies commercial insurance and patients show up ALL THE TIME and the call center hasn't verified their insurance yet so they sit and wait and cuss you out. When you call the reps to see when it'll be done they get attitudes and tell you they don't know and maybe the patient should reschedule. The call center books appointments all the time and doesn't bother to take insurance information so when the patient shows up you have to put it in the computer and again wait on the call center. They book extensive appointments at the last hour of the day so you are either there very late or you have to call the patients and reschedule and get cussed out on the phone. Not to mention patients get pissed any time you call them because the call center calls, texts, and emails them NON STOP to confirm their appointments. And the patients don't know or care that it is the call center doing these things and not the office, because we are the same company. The company pays dental assistants lower than anywhere I have seen so you are forced to hire people with no experience and then they are poached by better practices for more pay after they get the experience under their belt that you gave them. There is little to no support for office managers from upper management.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people more. Increase pay for dental assistants. Find a better way than to constantly over book. RETRAIN YOUR CALL CENTER TO DO THEIR JOBS BETTER. They make the jobs in the offices so much harder than they should be.

Kool Smiles2017-05-20
  10. "Dentist"

Former Employee - Dentist in Houston, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for less than a year

Pros

No exams are paid for

Cons

Great benefit like 401k and medical

Advice to Management

Hope exam fees are paid

Kool Smiles2017-05-09