Kool Smiles "dentists" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Kool Smiles Employee Reviews about "dentists"

Updated 14 Oct 2019

3.4
Kool Smiles CEO Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth  (no image)
Dr. Dale Mayfield & Dr. David Vieth
Pros
  • "We stand behind our core values and make decisions through our priority pledge and work to give the best service while providing quality dental care(in 18 reviews)

• "Senior leadership understand clinical issues and concerns because they are dentists themselves(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset(in 13 reviews)

• "Scheduling from the call center would become a problem due to not scheduling considerately(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "dentists"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Get ready to work for a year of two then find a new job."

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. They were young, fun, and overall tried to make the office a nice place to be.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid would basically sum up my qualms with this position. High volume offices regularly missed lunch and worked late. The dentists were struggling to keep up with the patient load making the wait times ridiculous and patients upset. It all came down to poor scheduling. It was not uncommon to have 10 patients scheduled an hour in hygiene and only 6 chairs with the next hour having no patients. If... they just shortened the columns then patients would be more equally distributed throughout the day.

Advice to Management

Fix your scheduling!! It will help you keep your staff!

Kool Smiles2019-05-03
  2. "RDA"

I worked at Kool Smiles full-time

Pros

Good management, great teamwork, helpful and nice dentists

Cons

Overbooking, outrageous expectations, no growth for learning other procedures besides basic for children due to most dentists are new

Kool Smiles2017-12-08
  3. "Dentist"

Current Employee - State Dental Director in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good teamwork & communication with partner doctor, office manager and assistants. - Autonomy in dentistry as a doctor. - Clear company policy in dentistry as well as office management. -Good training and continuous learning opportunity.

Cons

- have to accept specific insurance. - considerable workload. (in some part, can be good experience for the new dentists)

Advice to Management

I believe it is possible to build up smarter time schedule for patients if call center cooperates with each office.

Kool Smiles2016-10-19
  4. "KS Doctor"

Area Dental Director in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

I started working at KS right after I graduated from dental school. I was worried about working in a corporate dental atmosphere as the things you hear in school are less than positive but I can honestly say that I'm so glad to have chosen KS to further my career as a dentist. Our mission to serve children and adults in areas where access to care is lower aligned with my ideals as a practicing dentist. I think that... our support system is wonderful, especially for a new dentist who still may be unsure of themselves. Not only do you have mentors, but also have access to CE courses through the company and a stipend to use elsewhere to further your education. In addition, I love that high quality care is their mission. I'm continually receiving feedback on my work to make sure it's in line with AAPD Guidelines. For me, I never plan on leaving Kool Smiles.

Cons

This isn't a con to me, but it could be to some people. Kool Smiles life is fast paced, but I love it that way.

Kool Smiles2016-10-06

"Worst place to work"

Dental Hygienist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kool Smiles

Pros

The coworkers were the only good thing about this place

Cons

They only care about numbers. Dentists salary is based on production so the more pts they see the more money they make. Very stressful environment and employees are not appreciated.

Advice to Management

The reason you lose employees is you do not value them. You lost multiple hardworking dedicated employees because you did not value their worth. You give promotions to employees that do not deserve them and bypass the ones that work their butts off for you and you do not recognize them . Shame on you !!!

Kool Smiles2016-08-31

"Dental hygienist"

Current Employee - Dengal Hygienist in Greenville, SC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes you have fun days. Working with kids at times can be very rewarding, they say things that make you realize why you do what you do.

Cons

Some Horrible dentists that are too rough for kids and miss a bunch of Visible cavities. They overbook pts and don't have the staff to cover it so everyone is over worked. Not everyone is a team player.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your staff so everyone doesn't want to leave

Kool Smiles2016-07-02
  7. "Not so cool"

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

They hire people that are coming out of school. Giving them a chance to gain experience.

Cons

They aren't kid friendly like they advertise. The doctors aren't pediatric dentist. Lack of professionaconduct

Advice to Management

To focus more on being professional instead of being about the money

Kool Smiles2016-06-22
  8. "Progressive company w/ steadfast commitment to worthy vision"

Area Dental Director in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

This year is my 10th year w/ KS, and it has been an amazing journey. Dentist-focused organization that has not wavered in its vision of serving kids and parents in under-served areas and improve access to care for those in dire need of services in smaller cities. Senior leadership understand clinical issues and concerns because they are dentists themselves.

Cons

Working with children every day is a blessing - you always wish you could do more for the kiddos.

Advice to Management

Amazing job focusing on developing your leaders and please stay doctor-centric by keeping the current clinical leadership structure. Smile On!

Kool Smiles2016-05-07
  9. "Flexibility"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Houston, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kool Smiles is extremely flexible for a part time employee. Working PRN is excellent and in my experience, the OM works to get you hours when asked. Kool Smiles will train you in front office duties, and different specialties. This is good for those who want to gain experiece from a 1st job. CPR certification, Nitrous Oxide Monitoring, Sealant Certification are all expanded duties an assistant can take advantage... of. Networking works well here, since many traveling dentists work in the office. Full time employees have benefits such has health insurance, 401k, and discounted dental for family members. PTO and paid vacation.

Cons

Fast paced, which may be good for some, but can be too much at times. If over booked, many times employees may work into lunch hour. Over time is not acceptable. Many different dentists with different expectations, so you have to learn many different personalities and ways. Sometimes promises from OM or above is not fulfilled. Not enough time for patient education or rapport. Expected to be quick and turn rooms... over, which can lead to non stop working until the end of the day. OM runs the office, not the dentist. They do not understand patient care, so this can be difficult. They tend to favor front office employees ratber than clinicians.

Kool Smiles2016-05-11

"Area Dental Director"

I have been working at Kool Smiles

Pros

Being with the company for 8 years, I have seen our company face many challenges from our communities and peers. We recognize that things are not always perfect and we will continue to face challenges as any organization. However, Kool Smiles and those who truly believe in our mission have the resiliency to see these challenges through to make things better, not only for our patients, but for our employees. This... company encourages and expects growth in the development of our staff. They have challenged me to become a better doctor, a better leader, and a better mentor to other dentists. Because of these lasting skills, I will be able to help make a significant, positive change for the oral health of our communities and the patients we serve.

Cons

Work/ life balance is a continuous challenge, but manageable.

Kool Smiles2016-04-12