L.E.K. Consulting Senior Consultant Reviews

Updated 5 Jun 2020

L.E.K. Consulting Global Managing Partner Stuart Jackson
Stuart Jackson
  1. "Hard work but rewarding culture"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fast progression, fun culture

Cons

Long, draining hours with an obsessive work culture

2. "Senior associate consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks, good communal feel, nice CBD location, great learning opportunities

Cons

Long hours, high expectation to perform

"Excellent business experience. Best first job out of university"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent training ground: L.E.K. has what can loosely be considered a 3-year training program. At the associate entry level (first 1-2 years) you pick up core quantitative skills (financial modelling) and qualitative skills (primary/secondary research, analysis and synthesis of information). At the AC/SAC level, you will pick up very valuable high-level strategic/commercial thinking and problem solving skills. AC/SACs will also take on junior management responsibilities. It's a lot to learn in 3 years but there's typically pretty good support from senior team members as this progression is pretty well-ingrained - Generalist approach (apart from life sciences specialists): I was there for a bit over 3 years and worked on over 22 projects across a large number of industries. I worked on projects in technology, media, general industrials, healthcare, pharma, and private equity. - Swap (L.E.K.'s 6 month international secondment program): I was able to swap to both New York and London. This isn't typical but it was possible because the Partners are supportive of the swap program. - People: Everyone is very very bright. Fantastic place to learn from very analytical and very commercially savvy consultants, managers, and partners. Most people are also generally down-to-earth and very approachable. - Business school: L.E.K. are supportive of those wishing to pursue an MBA and have a good track record of alum getting into the top schools, both in the US and Europe. The firm also sponsors (cover tuition fees and a living stipend). - Exit opportunities: Exit opportunities in the UK as well as Australia are very comparable with MBB. Successful placement in blue-chip corporate strategy is common. PE opportunities are also a plus given transaction work has traditionally been a big L.E.K. strength. - Other: There is less travel than other consulting firms, which 1) allows for better work/life balance and 2) creates a tight-knit culture especially at the junior levels. This may be changing as the firm moves into more strategy activation/project implementation and management work. Overall, this was the best first job to have out of university (same can be said of other top strategy consulting firms). I had previously interned in a large investment bank but had nowhere near the same level of exposure to high-level strategy and commercial issues, which (in my opinion anyway) is ultimately what's most important.

Cons

- Uneven quality of senior management: Some posts have alluded to very negative experiences with people at the partner-level (especially in London). I would sympathise with some of those comments but I would say that from my own experience, those negative experiences are generally the exception, not the rule. It's true that Partners who are poor managers can make a huge difference to team morale and the quality of the experience on the project. Having been on the negative side of this experience before, it's very unpleasant when your time is being wasted in an entirely avoidable way. It's clearly something the firm is trying hard to get right (especially in London) which is encouraging. However, it's not there yet so there is still the off chance you will be staffed on a project which is not being managed well and the job feels like a terrible chore for that period of time. - "Luck of the draw" project staffing: I want to preface this by saying that I suspect this is the same at many other consulting firms as well. Project allocation can come down to luck, although you can influence the type of project you want to be staffed on to some extent. This can result in being staffed on projects in industries you have absolutely no interest in or on projects with Partners that are bad to work for. - Low-key brand internationally: Although exit opportunities are comparable to MBB, MBB alum definitely have higher visibility so you may need to work a little harder to get the quality of your experience across to headhunters, recruiters and even business school admissions officers.

4. "Good place to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel, fast growing, autonomy, small team

Cons

Long hours and high workload

5. "Wonderful learning and team; long hours"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible learning opportunities, wonderful team members

Cons

Very long hours, highly hierarchical

"Been here 3 years, planning on more!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Low travel Interesting work MDs invest in you (once you show interest, and commitment) All growth strategy and commercial due diligences Never have to sit in useless meetings Pay is well above most other consulting shops (ex-MBB)

Cons

A1 year is rough - little control over your life, and lots of grunt work - but it gets better! Long hours Some projects just suck Promote through timeline is way too long

7. "Tons of opportunity and learning, but tough culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time

Pros

A ton of opportunity to learn Exposure to many industries and teams Constantly being challenged

Cons

Difficult lifestyle that inevitably leads to burnout

"Avoid at all cost"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot. Still good brand name. Very smart and driven colleagues.

Cons

The 1-2 star reviews are true. It is a sweat shop that doesn't care about its employees at all. Most people hate their jobs and are miserable. Alums (the ones that I talked to) feel very bitter about the company. Look for the comments under a 2017 Poets&Quants article that ranked LEK as #2 best copmany for MBAs.

9. "Consultant"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steep learning curve prepares you to solve strategic business problems and manage talented, intelligent teams Interesting, impactful cases using traditional and novel market research and analytical tools Early and broad client exposure at the C level

Cons

Long hours and high expectations

"Woof"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few good partners if you look hard Smart colleagues Allocations does its best

Cons

Sweat shop culture / under-staffing HR (and everyone knows it)

Found 33 reviews