LABUR Reviews

Updated 21 May 2020

4.5
LABUR CEO and Co- Founder Darrin Lang (no image)
Darrin Lang

"From one budding recruiting leader to another: LABUR is a great place to be."

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at LABUR full-time for less than a year

Pros

My story early on here at LABUR has been exciting, challenging, rewarding and everything I had hoped for (and more). I started out by inserting myself into the LABUR culture and process and offering up my industry experience to better that process as well as the delivery team. I was drawn initially to LABUR because of the way they describe partnering with clients and bridging the gap between strategic and tactical execution. That really spoke to me; a relational approach to business, while rare in the staffing and recruiting industry, is how I like to operate. Since joining, the leadership team has been open minded and creative about how to use my skills. While plugging in where the business needs me most, I am also being asked mindful questions, like “What’s important to you?” Internal relationships here are managed with care and precision, just as much as the consultative, strategic relationships we have with our consultants and clients are. Like the business, the consultants are elite. This means it takes longer to build meaningful relationships, but they’re long-lasting and deliberate. LABUR has been the ideal place for my skill set and priorities.

Cons

Nothing glaring, I enjoy going to work at LABUR every day and the focus on continuous improvement is constant!

Continue reading
  2. "First-Year Associate: What I’ve Learned and What I’m Excited About"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at LABUR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to work closely with the CEO of the firm every day still hits home with me. The fact that my business and the work I do hits his desk on a day-to-day basis has resulted in huge opportunities for me – but it also meant overcoming a pretty big learning curve. To be successful, I’ve matched the senior associates all around me to be better and learn more. Overall, it’s been a very constructive first year, and the amount I’ve learned, in general, cannot be matched. My favorite part about this job since day one – and it still holds true today – is that we get to talk to really great people every day, and that’s what keeps me going during my most challenging moments.

Cons

As a company, we’re working on more day-to-day wins for all associates. It’s a lot of hard work and late days, but I’m excited about where we’re heading.

Continue reading
  3. "Relationship focused, a great place to work and grow"

I have been working at LABUR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When I joined LABUR the company was less than a year old. What drew me in was the opportunity to be a part of something that was new and growing, to develop relationships and partnerships, and to help people in their careers. It was exciting back then (nearly 11 years ago) and it’s still just as exciting. Each day is different but there’s a lot of stability in the way we do business – which is to put people first and to focus on delivering a quality experience. What I love most about LABUR is the opportunity to grow. There aren’t any lanes you have to stay in, there’s flexibility and ownership in what we do. There’s also problem solving, and I really enjoy helping people find solutions to the challenges they’re facing – for clients that can be finding a highly niche technical professional and for consultants it can be finding them the ideal contract with a great company. You can see our commitment to relationships by the tenure of the individuals who stay here, they stay longer than what is ‘industry norm’ and that’s because we take the time to get to know the people behind resumes – that’s true internally and with our consultants. We drill down to ask the right questions, and to get to know people on a personal level. I love my job.

Cons

We’ve come a long way in our processes and operations. No cons to speak of, just looking forward to continuing to grow while staying true to our roots of being a relationship-based business.

4. "Excellent Experience"

Current Contractor - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at LABUR for less than a year

Pros

I was with my previous company for over 15 years, so I didn’t have any current contact with consulting firms. LABUR reached out to me over LinkedIn and my skills matched what they were looking for. Plus, it was with an employer of interest for me. It’s been a pleasant experience working with LABUR. What helped me most when interviewing through LABUR was the interview prep I received. I also got general best practices and tips, but it was LABUR’s knowledge of the hiring manager and interview preferences that enabled me to stand out. I remember the .com boom and getting phone calls from IT recruiters constantly. Now it’s all over email. What stood out to me about LABUR was their precision and care. They caught my attention with the quality and length of their consulting opportunity, and all communication since then has been top notch.

Cons

I don't have any cons from my experience with Labur

5. "A thoughtful, committed, hardworking team"

Current Freelancer - Marketing & PR

I have been working at LABUR for more than 3 years

Pros

From every consultant communication to hiring manager meeting, the LABUR team works tirelessly – and thoughtfully – to provide a great experience to the people they work with and for. Their level of care is what has enabled them to move from traditional consulting opportunities to serve as a true advisor to the client companies they partner with. Their relationships run deep, and when you’re part of the LABUR circle you’ll feel their commitment to you in every interaction. For veterans of the industry, like myself, to recent college graduates, there is an opportunity to learn and grow from the way LABUR does business.

Cons

I wouldn’t classify these as cons of the business, but areas of opportunity where success can continue to grow from: - Continue to build your learning and development program to add to the growth and development of mid- and senior-level associates, managers and directors; the onboarding and training program for new hires is excellent - Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s always good to keep track of competitors, but what makes LABUR unique, and, quite frankly, better is what can’t be found in the marketplace; the co-founders are great about building on what the business was yesterday to better position themselves and the team for tomorrow

6. "Great Place Grow"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at LABUR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

LABUR’s approach is truly relationship focused. We believe in being objective in helping both our clients and our candidates, and I don’t know that to be industry standard. When I reach out to consultants, it’s not to pitch them on a job but to better understand what they’re doing on the job; what are their career aspirations and how can I interpret those in such a way that I can be the best eyes and ears on the marketplace for them? I, and the rest of the team at LABUR, work hard to always keep their best interests in mind. We also never just work off of a job description. We take the time to understand the business challenges of our clients and work beyond matching bullet points on a job description to bullet points on a resume. I like to try to figure out, how has this person solved this challenge in another role, for another company? Nobody ever hits every bullet point of a project or a job description, so I look for transferable skills. This is the part of match making where I feel like we’re light-years beyond our competitors. Because what’s most important is what you’re going to be doing but also who you’re going to be doing it for, and we have a great list of client companies doing business with us. The biggest opportunity for us at LABUR is just to continue to grow. We have a good message and we’re well-received by the people who know us. Now, we just need to continue to get our name out there and continue to give people positive experiences when they work with us. Baked into our team is a lot of comradery and healthy competition, which also fosters a lot of collaboration and an environment where there’s always something new to learn. Everyone here wants to help each other out, because we all understand that if each of us are doing well individually then the company is doing well. One of the things I like most about LABUR and our team is the dedication to volunteerism. Our philanthropy is fun to be a part of and we have some pretty special partners that make giving back really meaningful.

Cons

There are one to speak of.

7. "Top Notch Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at LABUR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My role, in particular, speaks well to our mission and the value we place on relationships. My main focus is to keep in touch with our clients, and to help facilitate anything they may need. I’m a regular touchpoint so they know we’re here and that we care about their business. I got into LABUR really by a stroke of luck when Darrin messaged me on LinkedIn. I started out recruiting and did that for two years before evolving into the sales role that I’m in now. Recently, I’ve also been tasked with internal recruiting, which has been a unique opportunity to learn yet another side of the business. I’m loving it, and it’s an attribute of our size – where roles evolve and there’s opportunity to wear multiple hats. I appreciate the value that gets placed on each person’s individual success. We weight a person’s personal success as equally as we do the firm’s, because we know the two are very closely connected. There’s an investment, just like there is with our clients and our consultants, to position everyone to be successful. Our passion around delivering high quality service to our clients and our consultants is relentless. It’s one of my favorite qualities about our business. We make sure we’re sending the right person who’s going to be the right fit for the job. Similarly, on the consultant front, we want to make sure it’s the right job for them, which is why we place a high importance on reference checks. These enable us to get an in depth look into the person, not just their technical capabilities but their emotional intelligence and their people skills. I highly encourage anyone looking for a rewarding career to check out LABUR. There is an endless amount of opportunity to learn here and it’s a great place to invest your talent.

Cons

None that come to mind - it's an outstanding place to work!

Continue reading
  8. "What really brought me into LABUR was the family-like feel of the team."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Intern

I worked at LABUR part-time

Pros

What really brought me into LABUR was the family-like feel of the team. I didn’t just feel like an intern. It felt like I had the whole world in my hands at LABUR. I got to learn so much while I was there. I got to work with new tools and technology, like Photoshop and InDesign, and hone my experience with other technology I had used before but not to the extent that LABUR taught me, like Bullhorn, Microsoft Office and OneNote. LABUR is in the best part of Boston too. I absolutely loved working in the Financial District, and it’s so close to South Station that it made commuting in really easy. My overall experience working at LABUR has been phenomenal.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

9. "Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at LABUR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a number of things we do at LABUR that I have not seen before in the industry and sincerely value in both my employment here, as well as in my career overall. Integrity: The first is our core values and our focus on integrity, honesty, ethics, and transparency. These are not traits that are commonly found in other firms that I’ve seen or competed against. To start a business vision with those ideals really sets the pace for the team and how we conduct business. In a market that is remarkably fast-paced and challenged to blur the lines, we’re doing the opposite. We don’t cut any corners. It’s freeing to be a part of that. At the end of the day, you know that what you’re doing is right and that you’re doing the best job possible. And it makes living with the results easy, no matter what they are, because you’re operating honestly and with integrity. Relationships: The interactions managers have with us feel different, because they are different. I recently had a manager say to me, “It feels like you guys really want to understand more about what’s going on here and about the challenges we’re facing. You’re not just searching for buzzwords.” We’re after real solutions. Clients feel that, and so do our consultants. Those types of relationships – and our focus on rapport and getting to know the best people on the market and what they want and need and not what LABUR wants and needs – really set us apart. Exciting: The excitement of building this business and this culture and trying to disrupt how traditional firms handle staffing and solutions is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. And, being on the ground floor of what that disruption looks like speaks to the opportunity and the excitement around what’s going on here. It’s palpable. I’m energized every day to be in the office and to be generating marketable change. Opportunity: When you’re as small as we are and you want to be as big as we want to be – the opportunities are everywhere. Whether it’s to build your own book of business or a contact list of consultants, manage an office, or lead a division, all of those opportunities exist here. But what’s also great is the exposure to skills and responsibilities that come from working in an intimate environment like ours. You’re not a cog in a wheel; here, everyone’s a family member. You’re going to learn a lot, get exposed to a lot, and do a lot. And to me, that’s exciting. Great people can break the mold, and we love growing our people.

Cons

No negatives come to mind.

10. "Great contracting company"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at LABUR for less than a year

Pros

In my experience, most recruiters are just scanning resumes and searching for keywords. They contact you not really understanding the opportunity in it. LABUR was much more thorough. They looked into the work I had actually done. They did their homework on me and it showed in the first conversation. LABUR has documented processes and an agenda to make consulting for them a seamless transition. When I started working for them as a consulting Salesforce Business Analyst, I knew about the projects before I got started, communication styles and preferences of the team, and the company cultures of where I would be working. I knew everything I needed to be successful, and I was able to start being productive very quickly – which is good for everyone.

Cons

I haven't seen anything bad so far.

Found 31 reviews