Lockheed Martin Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 23 Aug 2019

3.4
Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

"The Good, The Bad, and The Very Very Ugly"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good salary and benefits. Significant projects of national importance. Extremely accomplished, talented and intelligent colleagues. Respected employer.

Cons

Lockheed Martin’s current and long-term business outlook is very poor due to government budget cutbacks. Mostly under the radar, up to 30,000 layoffs have happened in the last several years, and more layoffs are coming. My LM colleagues are looking over their shoulders for the ax; morale is absolutely terrible in Sunnyvale, CA, and likely at most other company facilities. Just last week, LM targeted several new... facilities for closure, with another several thousand jobs lost. There used to be many development and educational programs available, but most have been cut in the last couple of years (or dried of support), so many fine employees are now left on their own, with little or no support (outside of their manager's advice) in their efforts to advance. Work/life balance varies wildly, some are lucky to be working a normal and easy 40-hour week. For my first five years, I worked between 55-70 hours a week; my last eight years have averaged 48. Some very senior managers (or those on proposals) work seven days a week, and haven’t had a day off in a year, or more. For the last 8-10 years, the company’s mantra has been “We never forget who we’re working for,” urging even more hard work and sacrifice from you, all because the company supports our government and military (which I also strongly do). But, in the end, it’s just propaganda; LM has turned out to be just another company wanting to make money, and (in the words of a company VP) they “will get everything they can from you.” The only things proven to be really important to LM are profits, the shareholders, and the customers buying the products. Those customers end up calling many of the shots in project engineering and management, and on many occasions, they have ruined an engineer's, manager's, Director's or VP's career on a whim or a disagreement, or just a personal issue in a meeting. Employees are disposable to Lockheed Martin; those that are truly valued and respected are rare. Running afoul of a company policy is just fine when the company does it and it benefits the company, but when an employee does it, it's big trouble, and likely termination. I've seen (and heard of this) many times. And finally, watch your back with HR – they have a very long history of protecting select people (especially those within HR) who blatantly and frequently break the rules or mistreat their people. For years, I’ve seen far too much wrongdoing (and stood up against what I could - I likely was laid off because of it). LM surely does not want those things coming to public light, so with your (pretty good) severance package comes with a big string and a very strong warning – you saw nothing, and you will say nothing.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, and really start valuing employees.

Lockheed Martin2013-11-18
  2. "Great if you live in DC Area"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Respected large company, many opportunities in different areas of government / defense. Review process is good (take hold of your career) and rating system is very transparent.

Cons

If you don't live in DC you miss out on a lot of opportunities

Advice to Management

can't think of any

Lockheed Martin2013-10-10

"Interesting."

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

9/80 work weeks are great, remote work and telecommuting is ideal, great big family style workforce, awesome people to work with.

Cons

Tough times having the gov't as your #1 client does not help keep staff busy, some management need to learn better communication skills.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, and keep us busy.

Lockheed Martin2013-10-08
  4. "Definitely not boring. Lots to do in very little time."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits Telecommuting if manager feels comfortable with it Work/Life balance with flex time options

Cons

Have less personnel to do the work since many layoffs happen Too many managers and not enough workers Not fair treatment to all

Advice to Management

Take notice of who is really doing the work and make sure they get the kudos and incentives. Not just who give good lip service.

Lockheed Martin2013-02-14

"Get experience and get out"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot of experience gained from my time with LM

Cons

Poor salary Poor Senior managers support No opportunity to advice unless you play politics well

Advice to Management

Focus more on your people

Lockheed Martin2013-02-07
  6. "Stable company that's a bit slow moving"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- great leadership program - great financial support for advanced degrees - lots of in-house trainings for employees (six sigma, lean thinking, etc.)

Cons

- a bit slow moving - low incentive to get a lot done - confined to process because "that's how we've always done it"

Advice to Management

- create quicker turnaround time for projects to engage the younger workforce. - compensate based on whether things are moving the needle vs. time served @ company.

Lockheed Martin2012-11-14
  7. "Lockheed Martin - big picture perspective missing"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, interesting work, flexible with work home balance

Cons

company is not loyal to their employees, quick to make decisions without thinking them through poor second line managers

Advice to Management

Second line managers you need to treat your mid career and longterm employees with more respect.

Lockheed Martin2012-10-09
  8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company that can afford to keep a bench of talent. Room to grow, train, and improve. Get paid every week.

Cons

Corporate culture resembles that of its biggest client - government. Can be a slow moving behemoth.

Advice to Management

Break into smaller teams to move more quickly

Lockheed Martin2012-09-25

"Highest level Sr Management role of my life"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of experiences, lots of work, lots of experiences. Good at winning contracts lower than actual costs then they do not want to spend money to deliver promises and want contract requirements to be met using shareware.

Cons

Too little acknowledgement for Too much work

Advice to Management

Diversity is Good. You can learn a lot from people you think very little of.

Lockheed Martin2012-08-16
  10. "Great Company before...tough times are changing the company..."

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great leadership at the top....Stevens is the best. Time will tell if his replacement will be as good. Fair benefits....good 401 k. Pay has been good but getting tougher.

Cons

The defense market pressures to lower overheads and prepare for sequestration are making this a tough environment to work in. Lot of pressure to reduce people, especially high-paid salaries with lower cost employees. Lots of fear and uncertainty at this time within the company. There used to be a time when the motto was "Employer of Choice" and Lockheed valued the older more experienced employees. Not any more...we... feel like we are targeted and the sooner we leave the better. Younger less experienced managers are being put in place that think they know it all and are making stupid decisions.

Advice to Management

Please value your experienced employees. Where is the loyalty to these long term employees? Be smarter with the reductions....offer better incentives if you want volunteers for layoff. The standard package is not an incentive. Might as well wait for the forced reductions. Why is it that the directors and VPs get a sweet deal going out....the rest get lower than what most other companies would offer for time in... service.

Lockheed Martin2012-06-07