Luxury Retreats Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.4
Luxury Retreats CEO Joe Poulin
Joe Poulin
Pros
Cons
  • "Luxury Retreats is a micromanaged startup company, with all the growing pains that implies(in 5 reviews)

• "Extremely high turnover, making it impossible to get anything accomplished since we are in a constant state of change(in 5 reviews)

1. "Good overall experience"

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Great team to work with... collaborative! Excellent benefits with Airbnb. Dental, health, vision, travel credit fertility options and much more 4 weeks off plus volunteer days and sick days

Cons

Upper management has no idea of the work being done at the lower levels. Too high stress and pressure . Low growth opp and incentive.

Advice to Management

Get a better understanding of the time it takes to fulfill the tasks.

Luxury Retreats2019-03-28

"Airbnb turned LR into a liberal leftist company"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few cool people will keep you going but thats about it.

Cons

LR/Airbnb is a complete leftwing company who plays a massive role in identity politics. If you are a straight white male, you better not dare express a different opinion than everyone else because you will be immediately alienated. When there is an issue, the manager has complete control over you and HR stays out of the process. If your manager doesnt like you, your done for and most of them are generally unhappy.... People will try to take advantage of you and your manager will also take credit for your work. For performance reviews, I was told by my manager that my peer comments dont matter and only what he wrote should be should be taken into consideration (Extremely authoritarian managers & e-staff is completely non existant when it comes to interacting with the regular employees). Its sad to see what airbnb has turned LR into - please do not work here unless you are a leftist who enjoys identity politics - what a shame Joe, you completely let me down for allowing them to do what they did to me.

Luxury Retreats2018-12-23

"Manager"

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Hmmm... well, the cafeteria was great when I worked there.

Cons

The turnover rate is ridiculous - I have never seen anything like it

Luxury Retreats2018-04-17
  4. "Application Architect / Team Lead"

Former Employee - Applications Architect in Montreal, QC

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked there in the product engineering department a few years ago. Great set of innovative products to always work on at the time. There was always something to learn so don’t worry about getting bored. Team collaboration is amazing, you always feel the sense of commit from your colleagues. Great benefits couldn’t ask for anything more.

Cons

There were extremely tight deadlines some more unrealistic than it should have been. Management didn’t know how to set limits to ensure that the people developing would never reach to a point of saying “I had enough”.

Luxury Retreats2017-12-17

"Look elsewhere."

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

-Some of the people working there are welcoming and friendly. -The company can offer decent benefits. -The office itself is pretty, although quite old and worn-out

Cons

-The place of business is located in a depressing area of town. -The company's structure is way too manager-heavy. -Some of those managers have no idea what they are doing. -Generally disorganized and all over the place in almost all aspects. -Very, very bad work schedules, depending on your department. -Questionable business philosophy. -Unpleasant clientele.

Luxury Retreats2017-10-10

"Ridiculously horrible and horribly ridiculous"

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual dress code, looks good on your resume.

Cons

No communication, ridiculous expectations and workload, low compensation and they will take every advantage of changing your schedule, high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Advice to management: How about treat your employees like actual people and not robots; be honest with your employees about what their work schedules will be from the beginning; start paying your employees a decent wage...I could go on, but since when has management listened to lower -level employees? Advice to prospective employees: This company is an absolute mess. Things change very quickly, which is all well... and good, but generally the person who most needs to know about a new development is the very last to know. They will ask you to do two jobs at once. No, literally. They will tell you that you are to simultaneously perform the tasks of two unrelated jobs and not offer you any extra compensation, and if you can't meet their ridiculous expectations then the problem is all on you, of course. Oh and if they tell you that your schedule will always or mostly be Monday - Friday, 9 - 5, take this with a huuuuge grain of salt. Advice to current employees: Document everything and stop taking crap from those above you.

Luxury Retreats2017-10-05
  7. "Awesome Company, Best Is Yet To Come"

Current Employee - Manager, Revenue Management in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having 21 years of professional experience spanning 6 industries and as many companies in the Fortune 500, I find myself well positioned to have a solid benchmark against which to review Luxury Retreats. I can say without any reservation, that Luxury Retreats provides an outstanding working environment. I am part of a company that can be defined as youthful and energetic yet guided by the wisdom of a leadership... team with a proven track record for sustained growth. Having recently joined the AirBnB family, Luxury Retreats has embarked on a new path to become a juggernaut in the luxury hospitality rental market. At Luxury Retreats, we are given numerous opportunities to grow the business in a meaningful way. If your objective is to make a difference and build a solid career with tangible work experience, Luxury Retreats will provide those opportunities in spades. Simply put, this is not a large corporation whose mandate is to keep the ship sailing in calm seas. Luxury Retreats is a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial company exclusively emerged in ecommerce. With regards to benefits, it is simply unbelievable. Great bonus, vacations, on-site bistro with a bona fide professional chef, gym, professional development, and state of the art hardware and software and much more.

Cons

None that are worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

A lot of hard work and leadership built Luxury Retreats from an idea to an amazing company. My advice to Joe Poulin and the leadership team is simple, let's build upon the wealth of knowledge and resources our colleagues at AirBnB have offered us. Things can only grow to amazing heights.

Luxury Retreats2017-07-30

"Great place to work"

I worked at Luxury Retreats full-time

Pros

Great place to work with some awesome benefits.

Cons

No room to move up within the company.

Luxury Retreats2017-07-25

"The fun perks will fade quickly."

Current Employee - N/A in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Beautiful office - Great young dynamic team - Onsite cafeteria with healthy food - Wild Christmas parties - Employee appreciation (deserts on your birthday, gift cards, outings, etc.) - Company bus pick-ups and drop-offs from metro station - Great insurance plan

Cons

- Extremely high pressure and even higher stress (especially in the concierge and sales department) - Growth is more lateral than vertical - 3 weeks holiday/year (no possibility of extended, unpaid time off)

Luxury Retreats2017-07-09
  10. "Happy here"

I have been working at Luxury Retreats full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I actually don't mind going to work in the morning, I actually don't dread Mondays (yes, these jobs exist!) Actually I'm kind of excited to work on my projects, and that's why I've stayed. Throughout my time here I've seen a lot of progress and can truly say I'm happy here. I was great opportunities to develop my career. I have a manager who recognizes my work and gives opportunities to develop my skills and learn... from others. I like the fact that the company is medium sized and hits that nice balance where you're not micro-managed and dont have to go through too much bureaucracy to get your ideas in action. Also very happy with the boost in baseline vacation and the fact that we can now depend on yearly salary reviews. Those are the kinds of things that make an impact. As for the atmosphere, this is something you don't find everywhere - really nice, feel very comfortable in the office which has really high ceilings and big windows, enjoy the healthy meals and snacks at the cafe, use the shuttle every day, very convenient, don't use the gym but a lot of people do. Love my coworkers, feels like home.

Cons

I would agree with previous reviewers about there having been growing pains, and this was mostly due to needing more leadership roles filled. But sticking around during those times paid off, because this company is going places and it's exciting to see us continue to position ourselves even better to dominate this sector of the industry.There have been some strong additions to the leadership team lately, and I've... already seen their guidance have a positive impact on overall organization and satisfaction - this has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Based on the continual positive direction we're headed and the way we're growing I would recommend the company to anyone considering working here.

Advice to Management

Empower employees by having a clearly communicated plan and expectations, they may even surprise you. We want to know not only where the company is going but where we’re going as individuals in our own careers. No such thing as over communication, value it and take concrete steps to promote it. Trust your employees' expertise, challenge them and reward them in ways that count.

Luxury Retreats2017-02-09