MAC Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.5
MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey
Pros
Cons
  • "Needs to have a better work-life balance(in 159 reviews)

• "Sales goals can be a bit high even though less people are shopping at the brand so be prepared to hustle(in 108 reviews)

1. "make up"

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time

Pros

it is huge worldwide company that can give you much chance to learn make up skills . it was really good there.

Cons

I don't really find any downside when I was working in there.

MAC Cosmetics2019-05-05
  2. "Fun job, no career progression though"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Adelaide

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team, discounts great and gratis

Cons

No work life balance. Barely make commission due to unrealistic targets which lead to unmotivated employees.

MAC Cosmetics2019-07-29

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Sydney

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The access to doing makeup on clients is amazing as well as the free products. Stay in for a year to get the practice if you're looking to be a makeup artist and then get out.

Cons

Literally everything. The managers don't care at all, they're getting stingier with the benefits, I regularly had to go 5 hours without a break and without a bathroom on the floor that was a bit of a challenge! They want you to come in early for team meetings and stay late to clean the shop.

MAC Cosmetics2019-07-17
  4. "Great product benefits"

Current Employee - Retail Assistant

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous quarterly product allowance

Cons

Poor management and expectations to undertake tasks outside the scope of yours ordinary hours without pay.

Advice to Management

If you wish for staff to successfully partake in themed events, maintain morale and avoid exploitation, you should be paying them for the time wherein they are expected to arrive onsite well before their shift commences to prepare/fulfil other duties.

MAC Cosmetics2019-06-08
  5. "Retail Aritst"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Sydney

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

I gained a huge amount of training both in makeup and sales. Loved working here

Cons

Sometimes the hours may be unsociable , but its retail so

Advice to Management

Set roasters / hours instead of monthly roasters

MAC Cosmetics2019-04-17

"Never What Anyone Expects"

Retail Makeup Artist in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics for more than a year

Pros

Free and half priced goods twice a year Great team, meet great people Cool brand Good quality makeup Development as a makeup artist Decent training

Cons

Moronic customers Certain members of hr No room for progression Very low pay Unrealistic expectations for artists Emotionally draining Understaffed Bad hours Embarrassing, late to the party product releases (MAC girls palettes, good lashes about 8 years late, crappy contour palette about 4 years after the trend, next to nothing ‘face colour) Obviously very out of date/out of touch/tone deaf people working in... product development, we get products for makeup trends years and years after the general public is so over it, the packaging is so stupid and cheap, the colours and pigmentation is mediocre, price high, colour pairings in palettes are absolutely random, mismatched and unflattering Do not come into MAC hoping to progress or that it will progress your makeup career from within the company specifically. It will help you grow as an artist, learn how to deal with clients, your technique on customers will grow via appointments, you’ll learn to work quickly and efficiently, and develop communication skills. But at the same time, it can drain you of any interest or passion of being a makeup artist you may have had. My store has had a turnover of 20+ people in the few years I have worked there. Everyone just wants to go into recluse and not talk to people and get the hell away from retail and customers because it is the most emotionally draining job you could do. You truly do not know how stupid people are until you work in retail. I’ve known people who have quit within working for the company a few weeks or a couple of months. MAC is not about being a makeup artist, you must understand that. It’s about selling makeup, which sounds easy enough, but it’s so draining dealing with 40+ customers on a daily basis who want to rag on, be rude, passive aggressive, or just plain idiotic. It’s just about making sales People literally lick people from head office’s holes as well. If you don’t lap up every single thing a hr member says to you, smiling and nodding blindly and not questioning anything, they really don’t like that. If you dare to be critical of any of the products (which there are quite a few to be critical of) then they get severely triggered They try to enforce and teach counter artists how to act with customers in a really unrealistic way, but I guess it’s easy to just tell people what you think will work in your head when you’re in an office all day and worked at a secluded counter for 2 years in 2004 Whenever hr comes to visit they stand around like hawks forcing you to follow and talk to customers even though the customer’s made it apparent they just want to look. They force you to go talk to the customer multiple times and there have been so many times where customers get seriously agitated. Hr in store will shred apart every little thing you do if you don’t act like a robot with a stick up your hiney

Advice to Management

-You need to realise that half the stuff you teach us at update seriously is not applicable on counter -stop showing the FISH video -stop blindly taking the customers side each time -realise you have it SERIOUSLY easy when you’re in store for 3 hours only in a morning and get to just leave and it’s not an actual insight of what it’s like working in what feels like an actual hellhole sometime. In my store, bounce... + just sometimes doesn’t fkn work!

MAC Cosmetics2019-02-18
  7. "Retail artist"

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time

Pros

Get to play with makeup

Cons

None! It’s a great job

MAC Cosmetics2018-10-06
  8. "MAC part time"

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team Training opportunities Opportunity to grow Great discount

Cons

Work life balance Working most weekends

MAC Cosmetics2018-09-18

"Mac artist"

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Brisbane

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Artistry training Working with great products Free product/gratis

Cons

No work life balance Management unreasonable Cliquey environment

MAC Cosmetics2018-09-18
  10. "Make up artist"

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time

Pros

Team support and the relationship you build with other make up artists. Gratis. You get learn industry focused advanced make up skills.

Cons

Management. Working hours can be bad but depends on location.

MAC Cosmetics2018-08-13