Macquarie Group Analyst Reviews

Updated 10 Aug 2020

3.8
Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Shemara Wikramanayake
Shemara Wikramanayake
  1. "BFS is a great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexibility, mental and physical well-being programs, intelligent coworkers

Cons

Constantly changing priorities means wasted time and effort

2. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice facilities, colleagues are friendly

Cons

Not many opportunities for quants in Sydney

3. "Junior Credit Analyst"

4.0
    Former Employee - Junior Credit Analyst

I worked at Macquarie Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great facilities, very inclusive culture and internal movement within the firm

Cons

The work of a credit analyst (BFS - retail lending) is very monotonous

"Employers Care"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

Employee care and flexibility in the workplace. Management team inclusive decisions made and open to answering questions.

Cons

Remuneration competitive and fast moving company. Company is quick changing and can make it very hard to keep up.

Continue reading
  5. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

Good environment to work in. Clear path for development

Cons

The hours can be long but that’s not unexpected

6. "Research Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Group part-time

Pros

- Abundance of opportunities - Good and enabling culture - Significant learning potential - Highly intelligent and qualified peers

Cons

- Cannot name any cons. It is a great company.

7. "Review"

Former Employee - Trade Support Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture and Team building are great

Cons

Hard to advance from operations

8. "Credit Analyst"

4.0
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very modern and forward thinking organisation

Cons

promotion structure has no direct correlation with salary

9. "Do not work for Tech Assist. They manipulate naive and desperate uni students into working to the bone."

1.0
    Former Employee - Client Support Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

They pay you a lot. But this is their incentive to make you put up with the toxic culture. There is free food and drinks in most offices and well-designed spaces to go and relax. The only other thing I can think of is that Macquarie, for some reason, looks good on a CV to other hirers. Most of my co-workers in Tech Assist were really pleasant because they were all fresh out of uni and still had morals.

Cons

A culture so toxic it gives cyanide a run for its money. Corporate Operations Group staff as a whole are treated quite poorly by other business groups as they aren't "money-makers". The company itself is deeply involved in the mining sector and other environmentally destructive businesses. HR's job is to clean-up and cover-up, never to hold people accountable. Working in Tech Assist opened-up staff to abuse for technical problems outside their area of control. If you could not fix a person's problem, you were reprimanded, even if you did everything you could to help that person. A lot of sexism towards female Tech Assist staff in our team. They also baited staff along with the promise of permanency and promotion, only to be told every roud that "we will consider you next time". They made the 'hardware' portion of Tech Assist work in offices that were in the basement, with no AC or windows. Staff were blamed for the room's smell and stuffiness multiple times and instead of providing better cooling, some staff were shamed for BO and sweating in rooms that were practically saunas in summer. One hardware team had a very old AC unit that would sometimes work, but would have to carry the water container to the men's toilet and empty it every day. The thing about this job that made me realise I needed to quit was when they made Tech Assist staff babysit and provide a daycare for staff's children at the 'Bring Your Kids To Work Day'. NONE OF US HAD WORKING WITH CHILDREN CERTIFICATES. We were desperate for promotion and approval so Macquarie saw a prime opportunity to exploit Tech Assist staff into literally caring for children, something that is so far out of their realm of expertise it could be considered comical. This was not the only time Tech Assist staff were asked to do things outside of their original contracted job descriptions. I'd say 30% of the job was doing things staff were not trained, hired or prepared for. The Tech Assist team itself is very disorganised. I started with 20-odd newly-hired people, and by the time I left, maybe 5 of those people remained. Some managers were fantastic in encouraging us, some were crippling micro-managers. Some managers would see your mistakes, but instead of pointing them out and helping you learn, would take pleasure in watching you make a fool of yourself. The only staff in the team who were recognised and promoted would suck-up to managers with praise and business and tech buzzwords (regardless if they knew the meaning or context of these words).

Macquarie Group Response

June 10, 2020Macquarie Group

We’re sorry to read your feedback about Macquarie. We pride ourselves on the culture of our organisation and take accusations of abuse and sexism very seriously. We aspire to have a promotion system which is fair, transparent, consistently applied and based on merit. We have also had many of our Tech Assist team members progress within their team or move into other roles at Macquarie. We aim to provide office space which is comfortable for all of our employees, and our ‘bring your kids to work day’, which is a benefit to support our working parents, is supervised by a professional, third-party vendor. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss your feedback and encourage you to reach out to careers@macquarie.com so we can arrange a time to speak.

"Pay low, bonuses hit and miss"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

Good team mates. Good brand.

Cons

there’s always extended hours and min rewards or thank you. Upper management have all been there too long - like a barrier.

Found 172 reviews