Macquarie Telecom Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Macquarie Telecom Group Reviews

Updated 26 Aug 2019

Found 90 reviews

2.7
Macquarie Telecom Group CEO David Tudehope  (no image)
David Tudehope
Pros
  • "some smart people and u get a decent paycheck to take home every month(in 6 reviews)

• "Great place to work for those who are happy to roll up their sleeves and make a difference(in 5 reviews)

Cons

"Why do they keep coming back?"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

More and more staff who leave decide to return to Macquarie Telecom. Why would they choose to do that if the culture is as toxic as some of the reviews suggest? I returned for two reasons. First, because I felt like I could influence and go beyond my role, something which I could not do elsewhere. Second, because of the people - I have never worked with a better team of individuals in any other place. Although I... respect some of the points in the below negative reviews, many of them are cheap shots on exit from people who refuse to take any individual responsibility and prefer to play the victim. Over the years I’ve had both success and failure at Macquarie, and although there have been times where I could have been given greater support, these times were far fewer in number than the times I had my amazing team and manager fully behind me when facing a challenge. And don’t even think about suggesting this is a planted review. I’ve worked at Macquarie long enough to see both the good and the bad of this organisation. Overall this is a wonderfull place to work for someone who wants to make a difference and run counter to the plodders who blame others when they can’t cut it. I’m just tired of reading the acidic crap without any counterbalance to explain why so many people keep coming back!

Cons

This company isn’t for everyone. If you’re more accustomed to a process driven organisation where each function is outlined by procedure and requires six people to oversee and approve your next step, then this is not for you. Process is not at the centre of this company - which is both frustrating and liberating at times. The business can pivot between personal empowerment and requiring excessive oversight on... decision making, but this is not an unusual challenge. As for political games within the leadership team, anyone who tells you that their company is free of such things is naive. They exist at Macquarie, but no more than other organisations.

Advice to Management

Stop responding to the Glassdoor trolls intent on exaggerating and trashing you - haters will be haters. Trust that any intelligent person who is considering working for Macquarie will be able to see beyond the trash-talk and speak to others who still work there and are happy being part of something different to the others. Also, many of the answers you seek can be found within your best people.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-06

"Great Place to Learn, Bad Place to Live"

Former Employee - Cloud Support Engineer

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn, great team and engineering knowledge.

Cons

Engineers are overworked and not paid enough.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-08-26

"Tough to maintain work life balance"

Former Employee - HMC Engineer

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

- a lot to learn

Cons

- not a great deal of training provided

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-07-02

"Smart people go here to be stretched, lots to learn, but you may be on your own."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free food and coffee on demand, helps to keep the wheels turning and get that extra commitment from the team which is required to make this machine run. True camaraderie thanks to strong focus on culture and team building events, unlike any other company I have seen, they get this so right. Great customers, who really seem to appreciate that they won't be dropped into a call queue for the next three... days. Everyone here is trying to help, genuinely, and it shows. If you're an intelligent committed hard worker who doesn't get fazed easily, you will get out what you put in. Be prepared to own it.

Cons

Promises made at interviews are sales pitches to get you on-board, then unfortunately you are on your own and have to fight tooth and nail for funds, personnel, or training. If you're not an expert at presentations, you won't get what you need. Even when your manager understands and accepts what needs to be done, you will have to prepare an extensive business case for the boss, which is a waste of everyone's time.... You will be too busy. The culture is that anyone who questions their working hours will end up being blackballed - it's just how this place works, if you're a whinger about putting in the extra time to get a job done, this isn't for you. It would be cheaper to have more resources than to keep burning through good people, which is what this place does. The $$ seem good at first, but 30% more pay sounds good until you realize you're never going home again. Prides itself on being unbound by process, so instead has a lot of clever people trying to figure out what broke and what to do about it. They don't see the value in planning and preparedness, which would be easier to manage in the long run. Waiting until it burns down is the only strategy I witnessed which gets attention time after time, and it's one fire after another. Hat's off to those who can do this everyday. however it's an unnecessary waste of resources because nothing is being learnt each time... sticking plaster after sticking plaster will be put in place to avoid spending on a solution to the issue. Guess which costs more in the long run? Priorities growth in $$ over common sense measures which would secure the future, and is now getting to a size where they cannot adequately manage all the failures occurring to systems which weren't planned for disaster recovery adequately. You will frequently, and unexpectedly be back-stabbed and thrown under the bus, get used to it.

Advice to Management

Support your growth, and remove the culture of people being too scared to talk to the boss. I witnessed senior managers who knew what needed to be done but would not talk to the man in charge. The business is being weakened and stifled by this fear to speak the truth to power, and too many good people (with the best company interests at heart) have walked because their point of view wasn't getting across because of... a fear barrier. This hurts the company when it should be a pillar of strength that others would struggle to match. It is a real shame to make an employee love your company but decide to leave because you're a bad marriage partner who failed to meet your promises. Having said all this, there is much being done right and well, the people work hard to keep customers happy and at the end of the day the happy customer wins. It is just disappointing to see so many missed opportunity and repeated mistakes due to a lack of decision making at the top. Learn from past mistakes instead of making them again. Listen to your people, and if you don't like what they're saying then give them a reasonable explanation why. You cannot employ smart people, tell them they're empowered, then refuse to listen to them because you're scared to spend some money, it doesn't seem to be a problem when chasing a customer or on marketing. As someone who (despite what it may sound like) thinks this is a great company, it is wounding to have to be critical of it. It is like looking at your children who have so much potential, and you love so much, yet being immensely frustrated that they keep licking the window.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-05-28

"HMC Engineer"

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lot of different technologies available to learn. - High level of access available to junior employees.

Cons

- Minimal training provided - Low pay compared to rest of the industry - No work, life balance.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-28

"good Place to develop and leave to work in a properly run company"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to shine as an individual, access to new technologies . Great place to be a non manager

Cons

Politically toxic at senior levels, senior management team is a Brady bunch of back-slappeds Everyone butters the chairman/owner

Advice to Management

Advance based on current merit not past performance or friendliness with chairman/owner

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-06

"Not breaking new ground"

Former Employee - Sales in Melbourne

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some genuinely great people who work there and are brilliant at what they do.

Cons

Great people are often overlooked in favour of those who shout the loudest and stamp their feet. There is an awful high school mentality which runs through the executive team.

Advice to Management

This is a multi-million dollar company who provide other companies with communications, connectivity and security. Act like it.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-04-09

"Good and Bad with MT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

can learn a lot new

Cons

lack of life and work balance; lower pay than industry level

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-02-21

"The deaf leading the blind"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get fed good food sometimes

Cons

Products are not standardised and constantly need engineering support. No processes in place to manage delivery. Inter-departmental issues. Little to no on-boarding, so all employees are constantly learning while being loaded with work.

Advice to Management

Please train your people, invest in training resources, support your people to do the job they were hired to do.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-04

"Well intentioned, poor execution and oversight"

Former Employee - Sales in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and professional when in times of low stress or success

Cons

Lacks oversight on middle management allowed toxic cultures to build up within specific teams and has allowed poor overall strategy to fall on employees (after I left the organisation due to the first point).

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate sales and product strategies heavily. Leadership should show greater oversight and ownership of the organisation.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-01-30