Macquarie Telecom Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Macquarie Telecom Group Reviews

Updated 9 Feb 2020

2.9
Macquarie Telecom Group Chief Executive David Tudehope  (no image)
David Tudehope
Pros
  • "Great culture, good people, really knows how to celebrate, work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• "Everyone knows everyone, can be quite chilled at times and good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Middle management are not willing to challenge CEO's thinking(in 6 reviews)

• "Most people hate that sort of thing so are departing in record numbers, no-one needs that rubbish in their lives(in 4 reviews)

1. "Agile workplace"

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

Agile workplace, allowed a lot of freedom in creativity.

Cons

Not any that stands out in my opinion

Macquarie Telecom Group2020-02-10
  2. "Design hybrid cloud IaaS solutions"

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, good people, really knows how to celebrate, work/life balance

Cons

Small minded, Vision could be bigger,

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-12-16

"6 months in, enjoying my time"

Current Employee - P&C

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Values are lived and constantly demonstrated, not just words on a page. - Competitive work environment. - Successes are constantly celebrated

Cons

- High accountability environment, this might not suit everybody. - Playing a bit of catch up in terms of flexible working

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-10-04

"A great place to work if you like to be part of a hard working team!"

Former Employee - People and Culture in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to progress if you show the right behaviours and initiative.

Cons

It can be tough to navigate when you first start.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-10-03

"Toxic culture - incompetent senior management - shallow people - NPS story is false!!"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Filling space just because I have to write something here - this company offers no pros if you are looking to build a career

Cons

Living in the dark ages when it comes to internal systems. Lack of ownership and empowerment. Flawed reward schemes. Boys club - total imbalance in gender diversity.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-10-14

"Great Place to Learn, Bad Place to Live"

Former Employee - Cloud Support Engineer

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn, great team and engineering knowledge.

Cons

Engineers are overworked and not paid enough.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-08-26

"Tough to maintain work life balance"

Former Employee - HMC Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time

Pros

- a lot to learn

Cons

- not a great deal of training provided

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-07-02

"Smart people go here to be stretched, lots to learn, but you may be on your own."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free food and coffee on demand, helps to keep the wheels turning and get that extra commitment from the team which is required to make this machine run. True camaraderie thanks to strong focus on culture and team building events, unlike any other company I have seen, they get this so right. Great customers, who really seem to appreciate that they won't be dropped into a call queue for the next three days. Everyone here is trying to help, genuinely, and it shows. If you're an intelligent committed hard worker who doesn't get fazed easily, you will get out what you put in. Be prepared to own it.

Cons

Promises made at interviews are sales pitches to get you on-board, then unfortunately you are on your own and have to fight tooth and nail for funds, personnel, or training. If you're not an expert at presentations, you won't get what you need. Even when your manager understands and accepts what needs to be done, you will have to prepare an extensive business case for the boss, which is a waste of everyone's time. You will be too busy. The culture is that anyone who questions their working hours will end up being blackballed - it's just how this place works, if you're a whinger about putting in the extra time to get a job done, this isn't for you. It would be cheaper to have more resources than to keep burning through good people, which is what this place does. The $$ seem good at first, but 30% more pay sounds good until you realize you're never going home again. Prides itself on being unbound by process, so instead has a lot of clever people trying to figure out what broke and what to do about it. They don't see the value in planning and preparedness, which would be easier to manage in the long run. Waiting until it burns down is the only strategy I witnessed which gets attention time after time, and it's one fire after another. Hat's off to those who can do this everyday. however it's an unnecessary waste of resources because nothing is being learnt each time... sticking plaster after sticking plaster will be put in place to avoid spending on a solution to the issue. Guess which costs more in the long run? Priorities growth in $$ over common sense measures which would secure the future, and is now getting to a size where they cannot adequately manage all the failures occurring to systems which weren't planned for disaster recovery adequately. You will frequently, and unexpectedly be back-stabbed and thrown under the bus, get used to it.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-05-28

"Why do they keep coming back?"

I have been working at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

More and more staff who leave decide to return to Macquarie Telecom. Why would they choose to do that if the culture is as toxic as some of the reviews suggest? I returned for two reasons. First, because I felt like I could influence and go beyond my role, something which I could not do elsewhere. Second, because of the people - I have never worked with a better team of individuals in any other place. Although I respect some of the points in the below negative reviews, many of them are cheap shots on exit from people who refuse to take any individual responsibility and prefer to play the victim. Over the years I’ve had both success and failure at Macquarie, and although there have been times where I could have been given greater support, these times were far fewer in number than the times I had my amazing team and manager fully behind me when facing a challenge. And don’t even think about suggesting this is a planted review. I’ve worked at Macquarie long enough to see both the good and the bad of this organisation. Overall this is a wonderfull place to work for someone who wants to make a difference and run counter to the plodders who blame others when they can’t cut it. I’m just tired of reading the acidic crap without any counterbalance to explain why so many people keep coming back!

Cons

This company isn’t for everyone. If you’re more accustomed to a process driven organisation where each function is outlined by procedure and requires six people to oversee and approve your next step, then this is not for you. Process is not at the centre of this company - which is both frustrating and liberating at times. The business can pivot between personal empowerment and requiring excessive oversight on decision making, but this is not an unusual challenge. As for political games within the leadership team, anyone who tells you that their company is free of such things is naive. They exist at Macquarie, but no more than other organisations.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-06

"HMC Engineer"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Macquarie Telecom Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lot of different technologies available to learn. - High level of access available to junior employees.

Cons

- Minimal training provided - Low pay compared to rest of the industry - No work, life balance.

Macquarie Telecom Group2019-03-28

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 93 reviews