Macy's Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 27 Jun 2020

3.3
Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette
2,168 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "They make you push credit cards when many people either already have one or dont want one(in 957 reviews)

• "Some sales goals were unattainable due to low foot traffic in area of the mall(in 566 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "ABC Accounts an OK place to begin your career."

Former Employee - Accountant in Sydney

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and nice environment.

Cons

Long hours and inflexible attitudes.

Continue reading
  2. "Supportive Environment for Intercompany Growth"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

The manager role has a great deal of autonomy that requires you to really use and sharpen your creativity and problem solving skills. The quality of customer interaction is high. The company is fun and flexible, the colleagues are team oriented, the tasks are challenging, the work force is diverse, and the managers are sharp and supportive.

Cons

Some long hours are required, staffing issues are a challenge, and rigid corporate structure sometimes slows down decision making processes.

Continue reading
  3. "assistant store manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

good pay, good benefits, ample time off

Cons

long hours, have to work weekends and holidays

4. "A Typical retail job"

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set hours and shift bidding

Cons

Long hours, management, goals, pay

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work work life and good managers

Cons

Long hours and have to work holidays

6. "Hard Company to Work For; Under Appreciated"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Northeast, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good discount, usually good sense of teamwork amongst Sales Managers and selling Supervisors. MTMs and OPS typically try and treat group poorly (I was very tenured with company and worked in 4 stores for a lot of years-left on my own without being reduced, so not bitter). You will learn good retail standards working for a Macy’s.

Cons

Long hours, especially during holidays. Lots of weekend obligations and late nights. With fewer managers in stores over the years, less people to switch with. Went to teams and Store Managers started wanting you to switch only with your team which literally was 1-2 people, so while they opened schedules greatly for associates, continued to beat managers down with schedule. Only viewed as promotable if you agree to move, and that could mean cross country. I was a highly awarded manager, trained numerous managers, but would have never been considered for a store manager, as they tend to have a career path you must follow. Sales Manager, MTM, District Team, then possibly Asst Store Manager/Ops and then your own store, but the problem is, jobs were constantly being lost, so no one really ever had a chance to shine. Regional Team visits could be brutal...I was in stores big enough to get major corporate visits and observing the way very senior management spoke to their subordinates was really inappropriate.

7. "Macy's Review"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

fun culture, always lots to do

Cons

long hours, especially during holidays

8. "Great People Make Great Workplaces"

5.0
    Former Employee - Holiday Ringer in Manchester, NH

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The team of sales associates and vendors who worked during the holidays were very welcoming and helped me learn the ropes as a holiday ringer. The team atmosphere created a sense of camaraderie instead of competition which was conducive to a fun work work day. The hours were relatively flexible, and I was able to cover shifts for others, allowing me to pick up extra time. The associate discount was especially nice during the holiday shopping season.

Cons

The long hours were initially hard on my feet until I got better shoes. Occasionally you would have to deal with a difficult customer, but with a supportive team it wasn't so bad. The transition from holiday position to regular associate is not straight-forward.

9. "Run"

2.0
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Good discount, union pay, consistent hours

Cons

Terrible management, terrible commission, worst team work, managers would pit teams against each other, terribly long hours.

10. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and good people

Cons

Long hours, I can’t complain

Found 561 reviews