MapR Technologies Reviews

Updated 12 Nov 2019

3.4
MapR Technologies CEO John Schroeder
John Schroeder
  1. "Great company that is headed in the right direction"

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

1. John Schroeder (founder) is back as CEO 2. World-class product 3. Huge market opportunity 4. MapR has the talent to execute and become a massive player in this space

Cons

1. The previous executive leadership group was absolutely clueless. This doesn't seem to be an issue with John back.

"Gut check time for MapR"

2.0

I worked at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

I think the reviews here show consensus that the technology is good, and the marketing has big room for improvement. ##work from home flexibility ##not a lot of egos, generally speaking ##market is big and still immature

Cons

##Does not feel like there channels to provide input to senior leadership, and that even if there were, they would embrace the ideas. ##

3. "Great company"

4.0

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

Leading technology that is cutting edge.

Cons

Very technical and complex product which the business user has a hard time understanding.

"Sales"

I worked at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

Great people and advanced technology. If you like to work, there is more to do than you can get done every day, and that's a good thing when you are building something from the ground up.

Cons

This Company could benefit from a Sales-led culture, given their stage in the VC-backed timeline (late stage, should be high growth). It appears that they are uncertain about who they are and where they are headed.

Continue reading
  5. "Great company, great technology, great people"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

The culture and office environment make it very enjoyable to go to work everyday. Not to mention, the compensation is very good. Finally, the company has very innovative technology.

Cons

I will admit that with innovation brings challenge, the technology is hard to learn. Finally, similar to all small/start up type companies, there are a lot of changes.

6. "Bleeding edge technology, driven by customer focus! Great people to work with - very high density of talent!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Meal credit, Chair massages, fun events, happy hours etc 2. Generous HSA contribution 3. Some of the smartest engineers 4. Massive market opportunity 5. Unparalleled technology experience 6. Executive team focused on the right objectives 7. Refreshing companywide transparency

Cons

Engineering management has room to improve - understand the pulse of the employees, causing talent erosion. Enable them to do the best work of their lives without worrying about incentive.

"May 2018"

Current Employee - Build and Release Engineer

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You may have a chance to touch all sorts of hot new technologies. This company has an above-average chance of giving you some much needed keywords on your resume. You will get opportunities to see multiple variants of full Big Data software stacks, and compare their strengths and weaknesses. Both the CEO and the customers are technical people who dislike excessive marketing BS. The product is used by the Devs and IT groups of other companies, so customer bug reports are much easier to read. The customers make buy-or-reject decisions according to highly-technical standards.

Cons

OPEN OFFICE ENVIRONMENT with no environmental noise cancellation. This will drive a lot of people insane, and may even cause physical harm due to stress from the environment. Nearly all process is improvised, everyone is in "immediate" mode where things are done on a basis of who can grab who at any moment. This is despite the fact that it is an enterprise software company that is supposed to produce reliable and stable software. If word gets around that you are competent, then everyone will immediately try to pull you into everything. The top talent seems to inevitably leave, sooner or later. It's one of those kinds of environments.

Continue reading

"The Gift Wrap Can Be Deceiving"

2.0
    Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at MapR Technologies for more than a year

Pros

The interview process was fantastic! The recruiting team orchestrated a seamless process and implemented extra touches to make the candidates feel welcome and appreciated. The time from first contact to offer letter was fast, and communication by the hiring manager was great until the first day. Employees are given flexibility with their schedules. Many people drive in from the East Bay and North Bay and often work from home, so work life balance can be a real bonus for employees, depending on their position in the company. Many employees have young children and often during holidays and school breaks you can find kids in the office. It's nice to have employers who welcome children during these times, as it makes employees feel appreciated for their efforts to not interrupt their production but at the same time take care of family. Free lunch used to be provided in the break area when we were in San Jose. We now receive a lunch card that gives us funds to be used in the shared cafeteria in our building. Funds are added to our card twice per month, and any funds not used in that two week period are lost. This system is fair and works out well. In addition to lunch we are supplied with all of the drink varieties and snack options imaginable from yogurt, fresh fruit, cheese, carrots, and nuts to chips, health bars and beef jerky. The drawback to all of this is that many employees have claimed to gain weight from never taking time out of the office during the day. Free massages are available to employees weekly. There are limited openings, so it's hard to get scheduled; however, HR has been rotating the openings to different groups each week to help solve that dilemma. Other perks include: monthly birthday celebrations, good full health benefit packages, an EAP Care program, legal services, monthly gym and cell phone service reimbursement, 401K (although not matching,) reasonable salaries in the industry, an enormous amount of equity for some positions (although right now not likely to be worth anything since the company seems to no longer be heading toward going public,) and the option to work from home. There are very smart employees here (many at the line level and some at the leadership level) who care about the company and want to see it succeed; however, they don't feel like leadership cares about or appreciates them.

Cons

Day 1 of employment and the onboarding experience were less than desirable. There wasn't anything special on the first day that made me feel like I was a part of the team. Since lunch is free to all employees and everyone races downstairs to get in line just shy of noon, I was left at my desk and no one bothered to invite me to a conversation. A lot of employees eat at their desk. This makes it very difficult to fit in here and get to know people, as I'm naturally shy in introducing myself to others. Regarding bonuses and equity: Leadership is compensated well, especially those who seem to be longtime friends of the Founder, most of whom come from Oracle. All roles in the company are not viewed as important to the business yet they are all expected to "sell." As a result, not everyone is awarded with a fair bonus or equity increase. It seems the lower your salary the lower your bonus percentage. It does not make one want to work hard and remain loyal and dedicated. We all pay a high cost of living in Silicon Valley. Be fair when distributing bonuses. How would you feel if the shoes were on your feet? When I first joined the company all of the executive leaders were based in other states in spite of headquarters being in Silicon Valley. Imagine the communication in that scenario - between executives and down the chain! When leaders were in town they hid in offices and only communicated with one another. It was very much like a club. The demographics of the company is very obvious to the eye and from department to department. At the leadership level, they are all men of a particular race and age with many of them having a long friendship and history together. It's the first company I've worked at where the age group is skewed to the older generation. There isn't a healthy balance across all age groups, genders and cultural backgrounds. Leadership lacks female representation, and ideas from women are often ignored. They are not proactively involved in meeting with the customer and leading key projects. In December just before the holidays, we had a Town Hall meeting and were told that morning that everyone (close to 200 people locally) had two days to pack all of their items in the office to move to a new location that would be disclosed that afternoon. There was no forewarning for employees to internalize their new commute and how it might potentially impact their family life. Those who were traveling or on vacation at the time of the notice had to have their possessions packed by a coworker. This was the most disorganized and costly move I've ever experienced, and it's clear the executive in charge of this had other priorities. This should never have been managed by someone working in another state. On Day 1 in the new building, employees were scrambling to figure out where their desk was set up and how to connect everything all while trying to notify external guests of an address change for meetings that week, host visitors, scrambling to reserve a conference room (which was not yet set up in Outlook because we didn't have names for them and didn't know what furniture or audio/visual equipment was in them nor did we know how many people the rooms could accommodate. In January, the board made drastic changes to the leadership team, letting the CEO go along with his strategy partner. The founder returned as CEO, and everyone was excited at first. Many employees shared how great the company was when he was at the helm, and since the previous leadership model clearly wasn't working this seemed like the right change for the company. Just before our sales kickoff they let more executive go and had a small RIF. The communication surrounding their actions wasn't frequent enough or consistent with leadership's behavior, and this is what makes it difficult for employees to believe what is said. Morale is terrible, and leadership isn't actively walking the halls to engage with and motivate employees. There are sections of the building that are completely empty of people and visible to customers and partners visiting the office. There are departments who work from home often, and always on Fridays. It's very difficult to feel motivated to come into the office with this type of environment.

9. "The hidden momentum"

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great technology and challenging work. - Happy to read on internal forums how the product is differentiated and competition is still far behind - Increased transparency of late. Sharing the good and the bad makes me feel part of the story writing. - New logos continue to be big names within their industry.

Cons

Management downplaying importance of cash flow for employees. Local market is hot and opportunities abound with more immediate cash-gratification.

Continue reading
  10. "Lots to learn, lots to do!"

I have been working at MapR Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots to learn about a field that will be relevant for a long time to come Remote work available for some positions Good benefits (great for local people) Global, diverse environment Fast-paced environment Good communication from executive level, after CEO change in 2018

Cons

Fast-paced environment (good, and bad!) Priorities can change quickly 401(k) available, but no match

Found 160 reviews