McMillen Jacobs Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

McMillen Jacobs Associates Reviews

Updated Nov 7, 2019

4.0
McMillen Jacobs Associates President Daniel Adams (no image)
Daniel Adams
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting and iconic projects with an intelligent , practical and energetic team.

Cons

No cons for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work, great job.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-12-07
  2. "Supportive, Collaborative, Fun place to work!"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

McMillen started out as a family business, and while it has grown, that family mentality stays strong and makes for a great work environment. Leadership is cognizant of a good work life balance and supports its staff wonderfully. I recently had health issues and was incredibly grateful for the support I needed to get well and not stress about losing my job. Incredibly talented engineers and staff to work with -... some of the best co-workers I've ever had that leads to great teamwork and project results.

Cons

Workload can be intense and challenging at times, but it is worth it. Seeing and contributing to good work provides great job fulfillment in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, hiring the right people, there seems to be great direction and great movement going forward that makes it a fun, collaborative, and encouraging place to work.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-11-07

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn about the industry from the most talented engineers in water resources. Interesting projects at hydro facilities, fish passage, and hatcheries. For those who are eager and want stretch assignments to broaden skills, management is always willing to let you give it a try. It's a great place to development your talents. Clients LOVE McMillen Jacobs which gives us a sense of pride to work... here. Also, the location on the greenbelt in downtown Boise is an added plus!

Cons

The workload can be intense at times--but then again, that's better than the alternative.

Advice to Management

I developed my career working for a very large corporation and find it refreshing at McMillen Jacobs to benefit from quick decision making that sticks, clear direction on our objectives, and a low tolerance for toxic employees--it's a joy to come to work everyday! Thank you for creating this terrific environment!

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-10-23

"Great leadership team"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boise, ID
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership team in the Boise office really care about their employees and it shows! They are constantly trying to make sure our work atmosphere promotes creativity, productivity and positivity …..which is one of the main reasons working at McMillen Jacobs has been so rewarding. As our company continues to grow, I am watching how we are recruiting and gaining talented enthusiastic people. Which leads to my... next point, I really appreciate my teammates! We have a collaborative and fun work environment which always helps to put me in a good mood. Also, the pay and benefits are of course another plus!

Cons

I am speaking from the heart, when I say, I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

To sum up my advice to management…….thank you for helping to create such a positive and fun work environment, where commitment and hard work are appreciated and rewarded.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-10-01

"Working at MJA"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Can be a friendly environment

Cons

Top executives in the company are all related to each other. The incestuous atmosphere is difficult at best if you are not "accepted" by the family. Technical success will not win out over the Family.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-09-19

"Chief inspector"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in , very collaborative , treat you like an individual Instead of a number.

Cons

Old guard can be a tight knit group

McMillen Jacobs Associates2019-01-14

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

Pros

Company is growing but not too big for itself.

Cons

Natural growing pains but organization does a good job to help employees through the stress.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2018-10-08

"Clearly on the path to being purchased"

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Awesome staff, great culture, super technically competent. Projects are very, very interesting. Ambition and grabbing more project is almost always welcomed.

Cons

Management thinks the staff is obtuse and tells some pretty blatant lies about stuff that "is to our benefit" but really is the company's bottom line protection. Promotion is rarely merit based. Obvious the merger was about one thing and one thing only - a 5 year path to resale and inflating the retirement of the higher ups. Cutting profit sharing, minimizing dividend distributions, minimizing bonuses, minimizing... raises, maximizing the number of staff on hand, cutting benefits, all speaks to one thing - a higher book price and a higher price when we sell. Buy stock if you work here. Get rich with them. Hardest workers are exploited/marginalized. Generally, there is an incredible resistance to cutting the dead weight when it starts dragging down offices, projects, and morale. Merger still hasn't gelled. It's two companies, it's going to continue to be two companies for a long time.

Advice to Management

Your staff isn't stupid. It's insulting to lie to us so obviously. Quit cutting benefits. Quit marginalizing the hardest workers. Hire staff that's appropriate for the number of management we have. 200 associates and 15 staff people is not the real number, but it certainly feels like the company is extremely top heavy. Poor recruiting and lack of foresight (quarter to quarter) mindset isn't getting us... anywhere when our projects last years to a decade on the engineering side. We're constantly overworked and stretched thin because of some "shortfall" looming in terms of utilization...total charade.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2018-01-03
  9. "A great place to learn"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to large, interesting, and global projects. Ability to take on as much responsibility as you can handle. Good pay. Great technical mentorship. Some travel opportunities.

Cons

Depending on what office you are in, you may get very little exposure to actual construction sites. Company bureaucracy/politics can get in the way of promotions (and hence your career progression). Not sold on the senior management team.

Advice to Management

More effort should be put in from the top levels communicating the company direction, mission, culture, and values.

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-12-29

"Decent company"

I worked at McMillen Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Good reputation, opportunity to work with industry leaders, decent enough benefits

Cons

Managers do not hold employees accountable for their actions, very poor communication, slow to respond to inquiries, made me feel like I was just a warm body filling a position rather than a valued member of a team

Advice to Management

Trim the fat

McMillen Jacobs Associates2017-10-06