MediaMath Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated 24 Jun 2020

3.7
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "They trust in their employees, and the work/life balance is really good(in 63 reviews)

• "There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "This is a bigger issue than just growing pains(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews

"Toxic work environment"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Smart people Global organisation Can learn a lot very quickly

Cons

Toxic work environment - extremely political and can't trust anyone Lack of progression Lack of leadership direction and very bad management A complete lack of culture and team work

Continue reading

"Learned a lot but very little work/life balance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

This is a fast-paced and constantly evolving industry, which provided great learning opportunities. MediaMath has a lot of smart people, and I enjoyed collaborating with individuals across different business units.

Cons

There was very little work/life balance. There were not enough resources for the volume of work.

MediaMath Response

August 7, 2020Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you experienced learning opportunities and enjoyed collaborating with Mathletes across the business. Though we are continuously evaluating our business and resourcing needs as we work to transform our company, there are times in which we all experience heavier workloads. At the same time, we aim to provide employees with flexibility and a healthy work/life balance, so we’re disappointed to hear that you did not experience that quality of life at MediaMath. We would appreciate hearing more from you so that we can be sure to improve in the future. Please reach out with any further comments directly to people@mediamath.com.

"Great Program!"

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Marketing Engineer Program is a fantastic program to jump start your career in Adtech. There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet! And ample opportunities to learn and grow your programmatic knowledge and technical skill sets.

Cons

If I had to mention one, I think maybe providing more job search support to make this piece of the program less stressful.

Continue reading

"Think about your other options"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MediaMath is a 10+ year old startup that still requires investment capital. Why? If you look at ad tech's growth and MediaMath's competitors set, they should be profitable and in a growth trajectory. What will you learn joining this company? You might get the opportunity to fix internal processes, save an account, fill in tech gaps with human power, try different roles, and meet smart people. If you like working for an underdog company, this could be a good fit. You will always be up against Google or other companies that have stronger engineering talent. If you like having constant change, this might also be a good fit. There are reorgs almost every year or reorgs still carrying on from the last reorg. Adtech is always changing and companies like MediaMath need to adapt to both trends and changing political climates.

Cons

If you are coming from a more established technology company and you are not looking for an aging startup environment, this will likely disappoint you. You are used to larger organizations with smart people who make logical decisions. There are checks and balances that keep large orgs with good products and market viability in a positive trajectory. This is not that. Instead of making decisions on behalf of future success, many people in power like to go on power trips and set up the company to fail. Read other reviews here. Do your research in the ad tech space. Look at the companies that grow year over year. Dollars are flowing to the companies that have viable solutions for advertisers. Also look into what type of investments ad tech companies take. Some go public (IPO), some get venture capital, some take private equity. Those investments are not all equal. This information is available with a quick Google search. Do you want to work long hours, make meaningful changes in your small sector of responsibility, and be a positive change agent but never receive any praise or reward? You might enjoy it here. MediaMath is medium sized business. That gives senior leadership an unhealthy amount of power. They are a group of like minded individuals that like each other and their own ideas. They do not like outsiders. They do not like to hear constructive criticism. They are quick to adopt a trend or mindset without deep thinking. The middle manager sector of the company is large and unwieldy. Do talk to current or ex employees. Do the same for other ad tech companies. Ad tech firms are struggling as most marketing dollars go to the top three companies. Be aware of double-speak in your interviews. Are they just talking to talk? Are they saying anything of value in succinct sentences?

"Senior software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Smart people who are genuinely ready to help - work life balance - best views of the city ( in the Boston area) - snacks and perks

Cons

- maybe the internal wiki can be more organized

Continue reading
  6. "wonderful company if you like constant change!"

4.0

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great perks and benefits, super smart people in all roles, industry leading tech and opportunity for growth if you want it

Cons

this isn't really a con but as of a year or so ago they hadn't really figured out how to be a big a big company, structure and management were changing CONSTANTLY which is fun if you can handle it. i'm sure they will figure it out, the bones of the company are solid.

"Exciting challenge1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leader and innovator in exciting growth sector. Building the marketing platform of tomorrow. Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal.

Cons

Navigating a complex sector, so priorities can change quickly.

8. "Inspiring Company"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

I learned so much from MediaMath and would have worked there forever if I didn't have to move out of state. I am truly appreciative to the CEO and all the smart people that taught me so much, thank you!

Cons

None at all.....whatsoever.

"Junior"

Current Employee - Junior Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

Pros

- smart people; pockets of brilliance - work is engaging, projects are stimulating - offices are beautiful - industry can be a rush

Cons

- high attrition - below average pay - Prioritization

Continue reading

"Started off very good but has lost its way"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible working arrangements. A degree of WFH is no problem for most engineers. Very smart people with a good engineering culture. Sometimes the engineering work can be interesting.

Cons

The company feels like it's lost it's way compared to three years ago, and it's been clear that senior management still haven't figured out what direction they want the company to go in. Layoffs last year were really poorly handled and shook the confidence of those who stayed. Not enough time for engineers to resolve mounting technical debt, due to the pace of new feature work, yet at the same time huge resources have been poured into internal projects that should help engineers radically improve the product, but no-one will take the decision to properly implement.

MediaMath Response

February 3, 2017SVP, Engineering

I recently joined MediaMath (3 months now) and made the decision to come over because I realized early on that the engineering culture here is amazing and quite rare. More importantly, I was super excited about the strategic direction that I heard from the leadership team and I felt that our potential for success is absolutely huge! I think we’re making great strides in communicating that direction internally and in our plans for achieving it. I appreciate your feedback and we will certainly try even harder to improve on the messaging. I’m really impressed by this recent evolution in maturity at a company that is serious about its next stage of growth, and I’m thrilled that you are as passionate about our success as I am. Thank you for your feedback and please don’t hesitate to reach out to me and Wil directly to discuss your ideas and feedback. - Steve

Found 39 reviews