Method Studios Reviews

Updated 9 Aug 2020

2.8
Method Studios President and GM Ed Ulbrich (no image)
Ed Ulbrich
Pros
  • "Great atmosphere also nice people and the stuff(in 12 reviews)

• "mostly good people (especially the Reception/Production staff)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "nice for income bad for work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "some long hours, some pipeline issues nothing too serious(in 10 reviews)

"No complaints"

5.0
    Current Employee - Lighting Artist

I have been working at Method Studios full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice people. Reasonable work hours when not on crunch.

Cons

The same as everywhere else.

2. "Method Studios"

Former Employee - 3D Modeler-artist in Melbourne

I worked at Method Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Iloura/Method Studios Melbourne, and I am a bit suspect to say that as it was one of the best places I worked on so far. I can't really complain. Really good team.

Cons

But of course nowhere is perfect and the last few years with the studio growing bigger, it got a bit more disorganized, not enough people in some departments like pipeline, etc.. was making things not going super smooth, and I know a few people really having problems with short contracts, and visas.

3. "Layout supervisor"

Current Employee - Layout Supervisor in Melbourne

I have been working at Method Studios full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people and good projects

Cons

Lot of work. Overtime increasing

"Too unstable"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Method Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Talented artists -Friendly staff -Free food from the kitchen -Catered lunch on weekends -Ergonomic workstations -Free beer on Fridays

Cons

-Short contracts -Low wages and inconsistent salary between staff with equal experience/skill -Poor planning -No shot breakdowns for showreels -Too corporate - focused more on rewarding management and production than artists -No opportunities for professional growth -No wrap parties The combination of low wages and short contracts means staff are unable to plan ahead, and even staff who have worked there for years are unsure if they'll have a job in a few months time. Many work overtime and have no time for professional growth or personal projects, so when the inevitable layoffs come they're also stuck with nothing for their reels.

5. "Great team of people"

I have been working at Method Studios full-time

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere. great quality of work.

Cons

Can be a little corporate sometime

"Tries to be inde and cool, but is most definitely corporate."

1.0

I have been working at Method Studios

Pros

- Free fruit - Free toast - Free parking (in lane cove lolz) - Free shirts - Free pens - Free water

Cons

- Shuts down office’s overnight - Massive lay offs. - Loves corporate, micro managing. - Crap location in Sydney - Aged and tired office, a relic of Deluxe.

7. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Layout Artist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Method Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, fun shows, seems like they want the company to move forward and are taking necessary steps with new leadership etc

Cons

The investment in doing fun things around the studio started to go downwards a bit, but I think everyone is going through a rough time right now

8. "Optimistic but cautious"

Current Employee - General

I have been working at Method Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun projects (mostly) Lots of OT because of production Good benefits if you're staff New management seem better than the last two

Cons

Old pipeline and systems issues cause too much pain and frustration Local management and production are terrible Each site works as if they are independent Pick a communication tool, we have too many Very difficult to push shots through pipeline Poor project planning means too much OT and artist stress Little to no benefits to contract workers

Continue reading
  9. "Don't care about Production"

2.0
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Montreal, QC

I worked at Method Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people are supportive and nice - Snacks and free food and drinks - Casual and chill work environment - Good benefits - Yoga and art classes at lunch

Cons

No work/life balance. They do not tell you that you are expected to work overtime until the last minute. Very poor organization. Inexperienced management that listens but never changes any problems. The artists are paid way more and treated like royalty whereas production is expected to work 60-100 hour weeks with no recognition. Artists are valued way more. Promotions are all very political. They promise you will move up and grow but they do not offer support nor do people who deserve to move up fast. Deluxe/Method are also going through leadership change, there is no end to the amount of changes that happen, new news everyday and the leadership seems sketchy.

10. "Great Studio"

Current Employee - Roto/Paint Artist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Method Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great studio with cool projects, nice people and good culture. It’s managed very well

Cons

No major cons to say

Found 95 reviews