Metroland Media Group Employee Reviews about "newspapers"

Updated 26 Mar 2020

2.9
Metroland Media Group President Ian Oliver
Ian Oliver
Pros
  • "Great people and clients to work with(in 10 reviews)

• "Friendly people for the most part, 3 weeks vacation to start (which now appears to be the standard anyway)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "sent work outside which caused quality to go down, low pay, no chance for real advancement(in 12 reviews)

• "Newspapers and commercial printing is not a growing business in our new digital world(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "newspapers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Metroland Media Review"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Smiths Falls, ON

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very close to my home, the company allowed me to gain production, estimating, purchasing, quality, health & safety, environmental & maintenance experience.

Cons

Newspapers and commercial printing is not a growing business in our new digital world.

Continue reading
  2. "Metroland review - newspaper carrier"

5.0

I worked at Metroland Media Group

Pros

Last employment year was *2007. The work is straighforward. Metroland had occasional company events that are family-friendly.

Cons

The nature of the job - physically sorting ads into newspapers, and carrying and delivering them to numerous houses - may not be for everyone.

3. "Newspaper Carrier"

2.0

I worked at Metroland Media Group full-time

Pros

Easy job, you don't need to submit a resume or have an interview.

Cons

Extremely low pay, you'll have to carry around heavy newspapers in the burning sun and freezing cold.

"Advertising Sales Representative"

1.0
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in Burlington, ON

I worked at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Variety of products to sell.

Cons

Newspaper industry declining rapidly and management team has no idea of how to recover.

5. "Supervisor"

4.0
    Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Metroland Media Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team to work with, really good benefits compared to other companies. 3 weeks vacation from the start

Cons

Newspaper industry is struggling, constant restructuring of the organization. Company needs to invest in more digital and social media content

6. "Paper boy"

Former Employee - Carrier in Markham, ON

I worked at Metroland Media Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work independently, and on your own time once a week.

Cons

Over three years of working, the Newspapers get; thicker, heavier and Larger without out much change in pay.

7. "good start-up job for kids"

4.0
    Former Employee - Newspaper Carrier

I worked at Metroland Media Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

- the pay is pretty decent, especially as a child (I was a Newspaper Carrier) - they send your paycheck directly to your bank account - the community of people is very nice - supervisors are usually pleasant - workload is scheduled for certain days

Cons

- workload was heavy and tedious - often the newspapers or flyers weren't delivered to our house for bundling on time - the driver would often not give us enough for the route - I frequently ran out of elastics and didn't always receive replacements on time

Continue reading

"Good company can be great company with progressive leadership"

Sales in Richmond Hill, ON

I worked at Metroland Media Group

Pros

Large company with a well-known reputation for delivering community newspapers, location of offices are found throughout south central GTA which allows employees to work closer to home and commute less. Most of the people are very nice to work with and is a pretty good atmosphere. Depending on which department you work in the pay is mostly fair to average and avergage to good in sales. Their newpapers are a recognizable brand in every community. This division is part of Torstar who have resources to move this company into the future.

Cons

Advertising rates are way too high for most small independant businesses and they are now resorting to internet marketing and e-commerce which is more affordable and effective.Some bad products that no one reads or wants ie. business times, city magazine. Sales people know where and how to place ads but most do not have knowledge of marketing in order to generate leads for a business. They focus too much on their sales and not enough on customers. The sales peoples biggest competitor in the market place is their own associates who go after existing clients and undercut pricing just to get a sale which causes resentment between co-workers. Some of the Managers like-to micro-manage and many of them are just incompetant at managing and motivating people properly. Some prefer to use old school fear-based tactics to increase revenues from sales people. The graphics department uses very few artists who know how to properly design an ad to get results for a customer. They have basic-average knowledge of programs and software resulting in errors, inconsistencies and no results. The newspaper business is on a downward decline to the growth of the internet.Although the editorial department is pretty good, the editorial is very water-downed and is drowned out by all the in-paper advertising and inserts. Plus, it is very old news. Who knows where this company will be in 10 years as their stock continues to decline.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews