Morrison Child and Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 5 Dec 2019

3.2
Morrison Child and Family Services CEO Drew Henrie-McWilliams
Drew Henrie-McWilliams
  1. "Good job to start at"

Former Employee - Child Care Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

This position was very rewarding in terms of knowing that a lot of the children’s parents were struggling with substance abuse, or had a hard time with parenting in general, but they still attended parenting classes with the hope to secure their children’s lives. I not only enjoyed seeing the parents attend classes, but I was also happy to know that they were trusting us with their children. My supervisors were very... supportive and it was easy to get close with coworkers because of how much we had to depend on each other during groups.

Cons

I see the wage has not raised much since I left the company 4 years ago. I understand that the employees in this role do not have to have a college degree, but $12.50 is a low wage for caring for the groups of children that they do. I worked with many children who had emotional and behavioral trauma almost every shift and I remember how hard I had to work to show them they could trust me. The groups that I worked... with other coworkers weren’t as bad because I had the extra support, but the groups that I did independent care took a toll on me as I attempted to comfort multiple children at once who needed than I was able to give them at times.

Advice to Management

Raise the wages for all workers.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-12-05
  2. "Working for Morrison Child and Family Services"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Portland, OR

I have been working at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

I work with good people for a good cause. The youth we serve are generally grateful for the services they receive while in our care. I

Cons

We are at the mercy of ORR regulations, so we don't function like a normal high school. It takes some getting used to.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-11-09
  3. "Enjoy working with diversity of children and their families."

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Multicultural, diversity and LGBTQ safe

Cons

Working with children in special needs.

Advice to Management

Let former employee advance in their personal career. This will open doors to many possibilities of advancing.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-11-20
  4. "good"

Former Employee - On-Call

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

The heart and philosophy behind their work is inspiring.

Cons

Some funding instability at times.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-09-20
  5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very diverse setting. Joy of working with many different children.

Cons

Lack of consistent staff. High turnover

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-09-11
  6. "Good work experience, terrible pay, high stress."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the laid back environment with supportive coworkers along with generous schedule flexibility. The work with the families was rewarding and it was good work experience. The CEO is outstanding!

Cons

There is little to no room for career advancement. There are erratic budget and program cuts- I never felt my job was secure. Positions were cut to save money at the expense of overworking remaining staff. Some locations are in unsafe neighborhoods. The pay is insulting- seriously, most starting pay here is what HUD would classify as low income or very close to it, but the positions require bachelors or masters... degrees and the raises are nonexistent. The turn over is incredibly high because people simply cannot afford to stay. The health insurance is alright but be warned, though they're a family service agency they don't offer any maternity leave which is beyond hypocritical to their mission. Constant stress at work over my job being cut and constant stress at home over low income level pay made this a very unpleasant place to work.

Advice to Management

Rather than looking to the Sanctuary Model to address turn over issues, pay your staff an actual living wage. No one should have the qualifications that they're required to have at Morrison and be struggling to make ends meet.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-05-15
  7. "Fair Working place"

Former Employee - Youth Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offered a lot of hours, thus could rack up a good amount of overtime. Nice people to work around, enjoyable culture.

Cons

At times they’d hire people that really didn’t help the team at all.

Advice to Management

Not much really, possibly hire better personnel.

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-04-30
  8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and positive environment. They really work to build their leadership and listen to make improvements

Cons

A lot of turn over, but its a large organization

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-04-07

"Wonderful Organization to Work For!"

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker/Milieu Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Morrison for nearly 6 years and held a range of positions and I must say all my time there was extremely enjoyable. I thought all my supervisors listened and really sought to create a quality work environment. I also felt as though upper management really cared about the mission, which was helping youth within the ORR programs. Fellow coworkers were also a pleasure to work with. Lastly, the benefits,... such as; vacation, sick leave, medical, and dental are competitive within the non-profit sector.

Cons

Though my overall experience with co-workers/teammates was a positive one, I must say that as a Youth Care Worker, co-workers can be difficult. It is the recurring issue of a large team, where a small percentage of that team ends up doing most of the work. Then, it is those who don't work as hard did the most complaining. Ultimately, those employees tend to leave. Again, this is seen most often, almost solely, at... the Youth Care Worker level, where a small but vocal contingent of unhappy employees who aren't motivated to work hard can really have a draining effect. If a person can stick that out, do their work, and ensure all policies and procedures are being followed, then you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing; supporting the leadership in the ORR programs, providing opportunities for people to move up and around in the programs, communicating as transparently as is possible, keeping up with pay, and providing quality services to the youth in the programs!

Morrison Child and Family Services2019-03-05

"Great experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds but quality leadership is severely lacking."

I worked at Morrison Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

I worked at downtown shelter and left in good standing but fed up. The thing I enjoyed most was working and learning with the youth. Many demonstrate resilience, patience, grit, compassion and strength. They're teenagers so some were cruel to eachother, petty, and demanding sometimes but most we're great kids. They have a lot of rules they need to follow so it can be rough. You'll get your creative abilities... callenged constantly. (Ex. come up with and lead an engaging dinamica or activity to a group of 20 youth who speak one of 3 different languages and a few of them can't read). This job attracts a lot of really great compassionate people unfortunately not many stick around for long because of the lack of support and training from higher ups, frequent turn over puts a constant strain on entry level staff. There is a considerable budget for clothes events and outings which makes it nice to provide kids with fun things to do and nice clothes to wear.

Cons

Cons: It's an entry level job that can provide good experience but... Expect to be under trained, under valued, under paid and under mined. Milue admin frequently jumps to conclusions and asks loaded questions to start disciplinary  conversations. They constantly ask too much without giving workers the tools to make it happen. I frequently saw staff getting reprimanded in front of other  staff and youth... for things that they weren't properly trained to do (this happens to even the hardest working and  eager to please staff, it was embarrassing and sad to see). Rebecca, the ADP, a good person but has a lot to learn about being a good leader, she micromanages constantly and is very passive aggressive. She gets things done but one often comes away from a conversation with her feeling talked down to and demoralized.

Advice to Management

Advice: I'm sure you're spread thin, but please listen to feed back you get from those you manage and work to treat them as valued parts of the organization rather than subordinates that need constant oversight. Invest in good quality training and once the staff knows what they're doing back off and trust them to do their job.

Morrison Child and Family Services2018-07-28