Motley Fool Reviews

Updated 29 Apr 2021

4.9
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix(in 22 reviews)

• "Relaxed and modern work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time(in 10 reviews)

• "Your career path is not laid out for you(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The best place I’ve ever worked

Cons

No real cons in my book

February 24, 2021Human Resources

Ah, thanks, Fool! We’re so glad you’re enjoying your time at TMF. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

"Best place to waste your time and career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn nothing no exposure perfect place to ruin your career

Cons

Check the pros for cons

3. COVID-19

"Excellent benefits - working for an employer who cares about you"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

TMF cares about its employees. They work hard to ensure that they know the levels of employee satisfaction, and putting forward improvements as a result. This applies to benefits, working conditions, your work environment, all the facets of work. They also believe that it is important to have a good work-life balance. I got hired during the pandemic - the company really tries hard to make everyone feel included, even new employees, and constantly puts together virtual events to share internal news, chat with your fellow employees and develop the company culture. We had a cooking class last Friday afternoon.

Cons

There's no bonus program based on performance, if that is what you like. Instead, additional compensation is given equally to all permanent employees, in the form of shares. This organization is very flat, people love to work here and therefore sometimes there aren't clear paths for progression - make sure you figure out what you want your career progression to be - they will help facilitate your progression, but you need to put the work in to get there. You might need to work on your own time to acquire new skills for the position you are targeting, and perhaps assist that other team with some additional work - but this is all voluntary, and its main goal is so you can get that new role.

Continue reading
  4. "In the Company of Fools Indeed"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

If you are looking for a company with an incredible purpose, an award-winning culture, and fellow employees who genuinely care about your authentic self, The Motley Fool is the place you need to be. With other reviews, frequent pros include great people, amazing perks and benefits, and flexible work hours. And it's all true! But did you know that there is a Slack channel with an amateur meteorologist who updates Fools on the weather? Or that we were one of the first companies to go fully virtual in early March 2020 and our People and Tech teams worked hard to make sure we had what we need to work remotely? To this day, Fools work tirelessly to make sure we are staying connected in fun, engaging ways. Or that we have monthly company-wide huddles where Fool leaders review our business numbers and priorities? In those same meetings, there's an open Q&A where anyone can ask any question anonymously or not. Everywhere you turn, there's another reason why the Fool is a wonderful place to work.

Cons

We aren't the best at saying no, so Fools might end up taking on more than they can handle at times. In addition, it can be tough to turn off work, especially with remote working. These cons are not specific to the Fool though.

March 29, 2021Human Resources

Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of the ways our Foolish efforts over the past year have helped support you! And as we continue learning what it means to be a Virtual First culture, we aim to help Fools better balance work and home life.

"A place where people truly care"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Every single person at the company truly cares for each other and our customers. People go over and above to support one another. The love blows me away on a daily basis. More than a job. A community.

Cons

Fast paced work environment of high achieving people. Come prepared to be at your best.

"A-M-A-Z-I-N-G culture with tech perks"

Current Employee - Money Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

Motley at heart! The Fool embraces DEI at its core. it has a vibe of anti-corporate, anti-boring, anti-drama to it. People (aka Fools) are super bright and brilliant at what they do, yet are truly down-to-earth and collaborative. Usually, the Fools were already successful in their fields in the corporate world. They intentionally chose to come to a less corporate, happier environment at the MF. The company is focused and invests in its culture and employees. The perks are really generous, and are meant to help the Fools become smarter, happier and richer. Thus, people stay with the company for a very long time (more than 10+ years), which is rare these days. The hiring process is generally quite thorough and long, which helps them vet and hire the right folks who work well together and get along nicely.

Cons

This employer is definitely not for every employee. If you are more comfortable with structure, suit & tie, and/or traditional finance, you will not like working here.

March 29, 2021Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, Fool – we do believe we have some of the best and the brightest in the world. And Fools regularly cite their fellow Fools as one of their favorite aspects of Fooldom! Thank you for all that you do to help us put the world, and your fellow Fools, on the path to smarter, happier, and richer!

"They actually care!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Worker Bee

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

They legitimately care about you as a person and your well-being. It’s a really fun environment Best place I ever worked by far!

Cons

Benefits are top notch, but base salary is average to below average

"Great benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits/401k Company is performing very well Work/Life balance is a premium

Cons

Tension between company values and marketing Unclear path to progress within company

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The Motley Fool has a great culture (including truly excellent benefits) and an awesome purpose (to make the world smarter, happier and richer) -- in the world of finance, the Fool is a bright spot in that we really do care about helping people/our members do well and have high ethical standards. It's a very optimistic company, and also very geared towards learning and growing. Although it doesn't always get everything right (pretty sure no company does), leadership definitely does legitimately try, and listens, which are very positive attributes. Last but not least, it has a super smart, friendly workforce so you make great friends there as well -- the company does a great job of encouraging connections not only for work collaboration purposes but also for social connections and a sense of belonging. It often feels like a family.

Cons

The business moves fast and things can be a bit fluid -- sometimes arguably too fast and fluid. I think that can be a difficult thing to overcome for people who prefer routine and more rigid structures in their workplace. Things are definitely not always exactly the same.

February 24, 2021Human Resources

We’re blushing! Thank you, Fool, for these kind, thoughtful words – we’re so glad that you’ve settled into the Foolish family and are making friends along the way. We will always continue working toward making our employees smarter, happier, and richer -- while we do the same for the world. Fool on!

"Motley Fool Ventures"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for that truly values their employees who they lovingly refer to as “fools”

Cons

None to mention at this time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 183 Reviews