Motley Fool Reviews

Updated 1 Jun 2020

4.6
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix(in 20 reviews)

• "Relaxed and modern work environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time(in 10 reviews)

• "Your career path is not laid out for you(in 9 reviews)

"Best place to waste your time and career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn nothing no exposure perfect place to ruin your career

Cons

Check the pros for cons

Continue reading

"Proud to be at The Motley Fool"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is always working to serve customers and employees. Even in times of debate the goals and desired outcomes are shared. There is a passion for doing the right thing in every corner of the business. The Founders are always available, always listening, and care deeply for humans. Leaders at every level work hard to serve. I have never seen a place where people cared for each other so deeply.

Cons

The pace and growth are always on such that it can be hard to pull yourself away from a job you love, people you care about, and a full Trello board. Taking time off takes focus.

"Cares about its people"

Current Employee - Writer Analyst

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, work at home if you need to, lots of small perks that add up, extremely generous with health insurance.

Cons

You won't make an industry leading salary to start and you'll need to define the job you want to do -- no one is going to give you precise guidance.

Continue reading

"A Safe Haven from Corporate Toxicity"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible work schedule (some remote work is an option for most teams) - Strong manager/employee relationships - Autonomy to independently manage your workload - Fantastic benefits (great healthcare, vacation, sick, and personal days are not counted, subsidized lunches, robust mental and physical wellness program, free personal training, A NAP ROOM, subsidized massages, and MORE) - The company is an exciting growth period and the business outlook is strong. - Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix.

Cons

- Your career path is not clearly defined and low turnover means advancement opportunities may not be directly laid out. - The open floor plan office space can get a bit noisy. - The fun, Foolish, and entrepreneurial spirit here means that sometimes older Fools disregard process and structure as overly corporate.

March 3, 2020Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective, Fool! We’re grateful for this glowing endorsement and love that you’re feeling cared for and empowered to do your job. No workplace is perfect, but we strive every day to be the best place to work in the world -- and we’re thrilled to have you aboard this ship of Fools! Thanks again, and Fool on!

"Finally Looking Forward to Work"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't express enough the joy that I get to come work at the Fool; I'm empowered to make my own decisions and I feel as though those decisions are valued at a bigger scale. The people I work with are top notch, and so I'm constantly learning from them - not only in how to improve at my job, but learning across the company as well. Even when I first started, people looked to me for advice and suggestions which made me feel immediately like a valued member of the team. Leadership does a great job of informing the company of changes and priorities, so we all know where to best focus our efforts. As far as work culture goes, I haven't experienced anything that comes close. Teams go out of their way every day to recognize the successes of others, events are hosted to foster collaboration across business lines, and I'm still learning about new perks/benefits regularly. The insurance is incredible and my boss encourages us to take advantage of the flexible work options/no vacation policy. "Fun" as a core value is actually taken seriously. I finally feel like I'm encouraged to bring my whole self to work.

Cons

There's not a lot of structure regarding advancement which can pose a problem if that's something you're looking for, but if you're happy to drive your own career, the company offers a variety of options for that. Also, vegetarian options run out quickly at the twice a week subsidized meals.

February 21, 2020Human Resources

Hi, Fool, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It’s our goal that all Fools feel able to bring their whole selves to work, and of course, enjoy some Foolish fun (despite falafel shortages) along the way. We’re just thrilled that you’re looking forward to work each day and that you’re thriving in the collaborative culture we’re proud to have built over the last 27 years. Thanks again, and Fool on!

"Choose your own adventure and wake up WANTING to go to work."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Competitive perks and benefits: no vacation policy; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) company match; work-life balance; subsidized lunch multiple times a week; health and wellness initiatives (physical and mental); tuition reimbursement; learning and development programs - Mission-driven purpose to help people. - Open door policy to leadership and managers. - Fun culture and incredible work events (including +1 events) - Feedback is encouraged. - Casual work environment. - Professional co-workers who actually care about you as a person. - Focus on Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. - Celebrations of Fooliversaries and culture of rewarding and recognizing. - Free food and swag. - Growth-focused company.

Cons

- Your career path is not laid out for you. You need to be your own self-driver and make it known what your intentions are in your career. (This may be a Pro for some people.) - Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time. Growth opportunities are higher now as the company grows, but constant growth and hiring won't happen forever. - Your starting salary can be higher at other companies.

February 21, 2020Human Resources

Hey, Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Our purpose to make the world smarter, happier, and richer begins with all of our Fools internally, and we’re thrilled to see that you feel cared for as an individual and are thriving in this environment. We’re excited about the growth and opportunity these next five years hold and look forward to you continuing on this Foolish journey with us! Thanks again, and Fool on!

"Great place to work and learn with others"

Former Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are intellectually curious and open to new ideas. This makes for a great environment to learn and expand your thinking on all sorts of ideas. Company has a learning culture that crosses departments and allows people to learn about all aspects of the business.

Cons

There's not always a clear path for advancement. Sometimes great talent is underutilized.

February 21, 2020Human Resources

Hey, Fool! Thank you for taking the time to share your Foolish experience and for the years you spent with us, adding to our culture of growth, learning, and fun! While we sometimes take a non-traditional approach to career advancement, we’re committed to working directly with Fools to help them find their Foolish path to success and fulfillment. Thanks again, and Fool on!

"Great place if you can self-manage your career"

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Relaxed Environment with ample freedom for time off -Many opportunities to work in new areas -Your career will advance as fast/far as you drive it, but you have to demonstrate command of your assigned work and crush it

Cons

-Rapid growth is causing a cultural shift, the jury is out on whether it's for the better

Continue reading

"I don’t ever want to leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is an employer that has given me everything I was missing in previous jobs. Yes the salary is good and the job perks are there, but what’s really special here is the autonomy you’re given not only in your role but in your career progression, and you’re surrounded by fellow ‘Fools’ who have a positive, supportive and collaborative attitude - not to mention a very smart bunch. We work for a great cause, making the world Smarter, Happier and Richer. We have leaders who genuinely have our best interests at heart, and by doing so they’re people who you want to work for - you want to prove them right to run the business with such an unwavering moral compass.

Cons

There’s two ‘cons’, but they’re more like symptoms of the pros: - It is hard to get a role here... vacancies are limited because no one seems to leave! Thankfully we’re growing and this opens new roles. If you get the chance to work here I suggest you grab it with both hands. - If you want a structured career plan this isn’t the place for you. There’s is no career progression plan, the company requires you to look around the business and communicate upwards a desire to move into new areas, or even spot opportunities that the business can move into that we don’t even have yet. This doesn’t suit everyone.

"Could i"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

You’re given considerable autonomy as long as you do the work. In fact, the benefits are endless so long as you do the work. If there’s a dream job, this may be it.

Cons

No bananas left in the kitchen last Friday. :(

Found 166 reviews