Motley Fool Reviews

Found 192 of over 268 reviews

4.6
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix(in 22 reviews)

• "Relaxed and modern work environment(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time(in 10 reviews)

• "Your career path is not laid out for you(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Awesome

Jan 9, 2021 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best place I’ve ever worked

Cons

No real cons in my book

Human Resources

Ah, thanks, Fool! We’re so glad you’re enjoying your time at TMF. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to waste your time and career

Jun 20, 2018 - Senior Financial Analyst in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

You learn nothing no exposure perfect place to ruin your career

Cons

Check the pros for cons

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working here is like a dream

Aug 23, 2021 - SEO Content Strategist in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

WFH options Open communication from management Excellent health insurance Competitive salary Incredible investing education. Seriously floored by how much I’ve accumulated simply by learning at work and using my employee benefit of access to premium services. Great coworkers (Our hiring process is not easy—and Fools collectively benefit from that, as we are surrounded by people who really want to be here.) CEO Tom Gardner is not only brilliant and forward-thinking, but he is a sincerely kind, caring person who is passionate about making others’ lives better. True servant leader. (And I’d say the exact same thing for co-founder David Gardner—I love David’s mentality of “investing for the world you want to see.”)

Cons

We are, at the time of this review, not as diverse as we need to be. (The company is currently hard at work to create more diversity and foster inclusion among Fools. Unfortunately there’s no magical overnight remedy, but during the time I have been here, there has been a consistent and significant focus on making improvements on this front.)

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to learn investment writing

Sep 8, 2021 - Investment Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

They paid a soli rate per article. I had a great editor --learned a lot about writing well.

Cons

You have to stick to a formula for the articles. And you can't really go in-depth as it's geared more towards getting "clicks".

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Employees are treated like royalty

Jun 28, 2021 - Managing Editor in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel like an abused puppy finally finding her forever home. I am blown away by how generous and supportive the company is to its employees. The compensation is great, but it's more than that: unlimited vacation time, flexible scheduling, programs for mental health and wellness, reimbursement for health and wellness, incredible insurance and dental, a system for rewarding coworkers, and just overall an encouraging and supportive environment. I didn't know it was possible for a big company to treat its employees so well, and it kind of has me waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm sure I'll be introduced to the head of the department for clubbing baby seals any day now.

Cons

Things move incredibly fast. A tool that was standard practice when I was hired, is now being phased out less than 6 months later. There's always something going on, and if you can't keep up with the pace in which decisions are made, you'll get left in the dust.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Culture unlike any other company

Jun 1, 2021 - SEO Content Strategist in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Fool really tries to walk the walk when it comes to company culture, more so than any other company I've ever worked for. Benefits are incredible and there is an emphasis on bringing your whole self to work everyone. Plus, you've got autonomy to work on what you're passionate about.

Cons

You might get whiplash from all the pivoting, and while the autonomy can be a good thing, it also can lead to a bunch of people working on stuff in silos and not really connecting the dots.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for bringing your authentic self to work each day, Fool! We're dedicated to ensuring that all Fools have the opportunity to be autonomous and will always aim to thoughtfully and strategically improve our organizational structure to better serve our members, at scale.

7. 5.0

Absolutely the BEST

May 24, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

AMAZING Benefits/Pay Company Culture Management actually cares! Dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion They listen to everyone and constantly ask for feedback They really want their employees to be smarter, happier, and richer

Cons

Nothing, truly. There really are no cons.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company - never leaving!!

May 15, 2021 - Content Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

We are treated so incredibly well here. Beyond the countless benefits offered to us (incredible health insurance plan, pet insurance, access to mental health resources, wellness reimbursements, unlimited PTO, $1,000 to put into your brokerage account when you start, company equity, etc.) there is so much to say about the care our leaders and people team have for the rest of the company. We're surveyed several times a year about our happiness and professional satisfaction. We're encouraged to get to know others at the company in whatever ways we can and management has done an incredible job of making this possible during Covid. I plan to stay here for as long as possible. If you're wondering if everything you read online about TMF's culture is true, I can assure you, it is. It's been so life-changing to work here.

Cons

Sometimes, things are so laid back that important work gets pushed to the side. But other than that, none.

Human Resources

Thanks for the glowing review, Fool! We're excited to offer all Fools the tools they need to lead happy and healthy lives – and thank you for your participation in our bi-annual engagement surveys as they help us continue to improve Fooldom. Once a Fool, always a Fool – we hope you stick around for as long as possible!

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great benefits if you can maintain toxic positivity

Jun 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are SOLID. If you have kids, need physical therapy, and appreciate the gift of company stock. There is an environment conducive to learning new skills if you mingle well with the right people at the right moment. There is flexibility to try different tasks, which can lead to shifting positions in new departments. If you are someone who thrives on pivoting to implement changes, you will not be bored. Mix with the right people, and you can find opportunities to switch departments.

Cons

If you decide to take one of the opportunities to work with a different department, be prepared to work on your normal full-time job and the additional tasks without any firm commitment to a position elsewhere. If you do receive a desired promotion, you may later be handed another ‘promotion’ into a new position where they simply need bodies. It may not be the best fit for you, and it is tricky to decline such moves. The culture that initially functioned to serve a much smaller company. Activities were designed to foster a sense of knowing everyone at the company, including activities (frequently alcohol centered) offering a somewhat casual, even party-like atmosphere in the office. Unfortunately, the bedrock of the company culture and the way it is implemented is frequently seeded with toxic positivity. Newly promoted management is given little to no training for functioning with direct reports, and as a result there are near constant issues with communication throughout the company. Accountability for anyone in higher management is also extremely difficult to obtain. The primary company messaging is convoluted, as employees are told loudly to express ideas and come forward about any issues without worry of job loss. However it is not unprecedented to arrive back at work post leave and find that the job once held has changed or simply no longer exists. Again, this is tricky to resolve short of simply complying with the change. The benefit of developing friendships that with the hiring of many interesting people is much tricker to maintain. Since the pandemic hit, the company has transitioned to an almost entirely digital presence. Many of the touted culture benefits are lost in the process. All of that said, if you keep your head down, you can enjoy nice healthcare, gain some new skills and financial knowledge, and meet some cool people. Be guarded with any feelings of discontent.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Place

May 8, 2021 - Member Services Representative in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Fools that really look out for their members and fellow Fools.

Cons

Could pay me more. But I'd say that about any place.

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Fool! We absolutely aim to make all employees and members smarter, happier, and richer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 192 Reviews