Motley Fool Employee Reviews about "fools"

Updated 4 Nov 2020

Found 28 of over 259 reviews

4.7
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix(in 22 reviews)

• "Relaxed and modern work environment(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time(in 10 reviews)

• "Your career path is not laid out for you(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fools"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Greener pastures

4 Nov 2020 - People Team in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I cannot say enough about The Fool. I am continuously blown away and feel like I’ve found my “dream company”. • Employee centric: leadership truly care about the people at the Fool and have committed to creating a culture that truly allow you to be your most authentic self at work....The perks and benefits, including an on-site gym, subsidized lunches, a masseuse, robust mental and physical health resources don't hurt either. • Transparent: Since the beginning of the COVID-19, leadership has given regular updates and kept employees in the know about what is happening and have done a great job of transitioning us into a full remote company. • Community: The Fool is place where you will be challenged and encouraged to be a continued learner. With that, you have an internal community of Fools that make themselves available to lend a hand, to educated and take a vested interest in your career progression.

Cons

* With the growth, the company is experiencing comes typical growing pains.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Your dream company!? Stop! We’ve been dreaming of Fools like you that add to our fun culture and embrace the challenge of being lifelong Foolish learners. Thank you for all you do and for taking the time to leave a review, Fool!

2. 5.0

The Grass is Greener

1 Oct 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a dream company for those of us who are lifelong learners and intellectually curious. Not only is transparency sewn throughout every level of leadership, but Fools are so warm and welcome in sharing their skills, experiences and passions with you-- you only have to ask! It's also been wonderful to witness the adaptability and innovation that have surfaced through the current COVID landscape. From the precautions taken early on, to the flexibility and advocacy around what type of schedule works best for you and your family-- the Fool has had our backs.

Cons

With the innovative nature of this company, comes many changes and change is not everyone's love language. If you thrive in structure and knowing that your day to day is going to be the same for a long time, this might not be the environment where you'll feel you're being your best self.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

We love our culture of intellectually curious Fools – thank you for all that you bring to Fooldom! While we do value innovation, we strive to strike a balance that suits all Fools’ needs. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review – Fool on!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Choose your own adventure and wake up WANTING to go to work.

31 Jan 2020 - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive perks and benefits: no vacation policy; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) company match; work-life balance; subsidized lunch multiple times a week; health and wellness initiatives (physical and mental); tuition reimbursement; learning and development programs - Mission-driven purpose to help people. - Open door policy to leadership and managers. - Fun culture and incredible work events (including +1 events) - Feedback is encouraged. - Casual work environment. - Professional co-workers who actually care about you as a person. - Focus on Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. - Celebrations of Fooliversaries and culture of rewarding and recognizing. - Free food and swag. - Growth-focused company.

Cons

- Your career path is not laid out for you. You need to be your own self-driver and make it known what your intentions are in your career. (This may be a Pro for some people.) - Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time. Growth opportunities are higher now as the company grows, but constant growth and hiring won't happen forever. - Your starting salary can be higher at other companies.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Hey, Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Our purpose to make the world smarter, happier, and richer begins with all of our Fools internally, and we’re thrilled to see that you feel cared for as an individual and are thriving in this environment. We’re excited about the growth and opportunity these next five years hold and look forward to you continuing on this Foolish journey with us! Thanks again, and Fool on!

4. 5.0

A Safe Haven from Corporate Toxicity

19 Feb 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible work schedule (some remote work is an option for most teams) - Strong manager/employee relationships - Autonomy to independently manage your workload - Fantastic benefits (great healthcare, vacation, sick, and personal days are not counted, subsidized lunches, robust mental and physical wellness program, free personal training, A NAP ROOM, subsidized massages, and MORE) - The company is an exciting growth period and the business outlook is strong. - Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix.

Cons

- Your career path is not clearly defined and low turnover means advancement opportunities may not be directly laid out. - The open floor plan office space can get a bit noisy. - The fun, Foolish, and entrepreneurial spirit here means that sometimes older Fools disregard process and structure as overly corporate.

6 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective, Fool! We’re grateful for this glowing endorsement and love that you’re feeling cared for and empowered to do your job. No workplace is perfect, but we strive every day to be the best place to work in the world -- and we’re thrilled to have you aboard this ship of Fools! Thanks again, and Fool on!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I don’t ever want to leave

3 Oct 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an employer that has given me everything I was missing in previous jobs. Yes the salary is good and the job perks are there, but what’s really special here is the autonomy you’re given not only in your role but in your career progression, and you’re surrounded by fellow ‘Fools’ who have a positive, supportive and collaborative attitude - not to mention a very smart bunch. We work for a great cause, making the world Smarter, Happier and Richer. We have leaders who genuinely have our best interests at heart, and by doing so they’re people who you want to work for - you want to prove them right to run the business with such an unwavering moral compass.

Cons

There’s two ‘cons’, but they’re more like symptoms of the pros: - It is hard to get a role here... vacancies are limited because no one seems to leave! Thankfully we’re growing and this opens new roles. If you get the chance to work here I suggest you grab it with both hands. - If you want a structured career plan this isn’t the place for you. There’s is no career progression plan, the company requires you to look around the business and communicate upwards a desire to move into new areas, or even spot opportunities that the business can move into that we don’t even have yet. This doesn’t suit everyone.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I can't imagine going anywhere else

25 Sep 2015 - Director in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my decade-plus with the Fool, I've continually been surrounded by the smartest people I know. And it's not smarts in a silo -- some techs I've worked with have had brilliant business ideas, investment folks have come up with amazing tech solutions, etc. And everyone in the building truly believe in our mission: to help the world invest better.

Cons

Is the Fool perfect? Nope. In our efforts to win (competitive is a core value), people sometimes focus too much on achieving short-term objectives, which I think can be antithetical to the advice we give on buying and holding stocks for the long term. But in general, Fools want to do the right thing, and everyone has a forum to point out when we do something that doesn't make us proud.

16 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Out of this world atmosphere!

8 Jan 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Truly a unique culture; one without politics, empire building, finger pointing and a CYA mentality. The founders embody the core values of the organization as do 99% of the employees. IMO, the company cares about its employees and the founders took a personal interest in each and every one of their employees. I left over 10 years ago and still correspond with many of the Fools I worked with. I found it to be more than a job or part of my career. Working at The Fool, was a way of life. I was saddened to leave when I did, but the company treated me with nothing but the utmost respect as I exited. I went to work in traditional Corporate America subsequent to leaving the Fool. I have found my experience to be quite different. Dealing with the corporate hierarchy was a challenge after being so spoiled.

Cons

At the time, the business was disorganized. It lacked the necessary rigor to be a successful business e.g. no budgets, a lack of integration between teams. My understanding is that the organization is much more focused now and has matured. They have found the balance of structure versus entrepreneurialism. Compensation at the time was also a struggle. The Fool was not a market leader and employees sacrificed financial compensation for other factors. This could be a long term challenge.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

So great - and hugely humbling - to read this. Thank you so much for this review. You mention how the company and our founders care deeply about Fool employees, and it’s a message we articulate every day within our teams. We want to be the company that cares about its employees more than any other in the world. A little mushy? Maybe, but we really believe our culture and environment can change how “work” is experienced. Thanks again for your review.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

A great company, but with some serious issues

11 Jun 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at The Motley Fool are among the best I have ever known, in any context. They are almost uniformly intelligent, capable, and generous with their time and knowledge. We Fools, as we are proud to call ourselves, live and breath our culture--you may call it drinking the Kool-Aid--but I would simply respond that, when something is as good as our culture, you can't help but wish that everyone could experience it.

Cons

During my entire time at the company, the Fool has been very consistent in hiring the intelligent, capable people that make it such a wonderful place to work. However, in a company that is staying relatively the same size, there are simply not enough challenging, career-advancing opportunities for all those intelligent, capable people. That said, the company discourages turnover, exacerbating a problem it created in the first place. There are other minor issues potential applications should be aware of, which I am sure are addressed in other reviews. That said, I believe most fall under the "No Place is Perfect for Everyone" doctrine.

8 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great environment! Fun people! Be ready to work.

20 Nov 2008 - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best reasons to work at the Fool are the culture and the people. The company provides an extremely relaxed work environment. Playing video games and foos ball are standard procedure, so sometimes it's amazing any work gets done at all. Did I mention that there is no vacation policy? You just take the time off when you need it. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked out. While they had some rough times during the dot-bomb era, they appear to turned things around and rebuilt a nice, solid business. As a testament to the company/culture, there are a TON of Fools that have been with the company for what seems like forever. The company mission of helping individuals with personal finance is generally quite inspiring.

Cons

You must be able to actually get stuff done in a very relaxed work environment. Do not expect a private office where you can easily shut the door and focus. We basically had a couple dozen desks on an open floorplan, with no walls, partitions, cubes, etc. Some people loved it. Others required some time to get used to it. While the mission of helping individuals with personal finance is great, the company has to walk a delicate line between truly help people and actually selling products/services that make money. The company has been criticized in the past for pushing products that are not 100% inline with the company's philosophy of do-it-yourself investing.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best place I've ever worked!

10 Sep 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coming to work every day you are surrounded by incredibly brilliant and inspired people! Fools genuinely believe in our mission and it is evident in everything they do - from being encouraged to raise questions to meeting our members we're all in it to win it! Being encouraged to experiment and try new things is so refreshing to see in the working world. The benefits are out of this world and tailored to all kinds of people - a great wellness program, free books, speaker series, classes and continuous education, clubs for everyone, a recognition program that is peer to peer, and so many events for everyone - they're unreal.

Cons

The Fool is a very fast paced environment which may not be for everyone but it wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't.

3 people found this review helpful