Motley Fool Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 25 Nov 2020

Found 18 of over 259 reviews

4.7
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix(in 22 reviews)

• "Relaxed and modern work environment(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time(in 10 reviews)

• "Your career path is not laid out for you(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great People, Great Mission

25 Nov 2020 - Freelance Writer in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Committed to the well-being of their employees; collaborative and fun atmosphere; focused on an important mission; positive work environment.

Cons

With so much great work going on, it’s sometimes difficult to keep abreast of internal initiatives.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Choose your own adventure and wake up WANTING to go to work.

31 Jan 2020 - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive perks and benefits: no vacation policy; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) company match; work-life balance; subsidized lunch multiple times a week; health and wellness initiatives (physical and mental); tuition reimbursement; learning and development programs - Mission-driven purpose to help people. - Open door policy to leadership and managers. - Fun culture and incredible work events (including +1 events) - Feedback is encouraged. - Casual work environment. - Professional co-workers who actually care about you as a person. - Focus on Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. - Celebrations of Fooliversaries and culture of rewarding and recognizing. - Free food and swag. - Growth-focused company.

Cons

- Your career path is not laid out for you. You need to be your own self-driver and make it known what your intentions are in your career. (This may be a Pro for some people.) - Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time. Growth opportunities are higher now as the company grows, but constant growth and hiring won't happen forever. - Your starting salary can be higher at other companies.

2 people found this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

Human Resources

Hey, Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Our purpose to make the world smarter, happier, and richer begins with all of our Fools internally, and we’re thrilled to see that you feel cared for as an individual and are thriving in this environment. We’re excited about the growth and opportunity these next five years hold and look forward to you continuing on this Foolish journey with us! Thanks again, and Fool on!

3. 5.0

They Always Look Out For You

16 Nov 2020 - Independent Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great reputation. Fun work environment. You grow in the process.

Cons

Everyone is a utility infielder, so roles change a lot.

4. 4.0

Decent place to work

29 Oct 2019 - Member Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed and modern work environment

Cons

Answering customer service phone calls

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Culture of Excellence and Fun - But Bring Your Own Paddle

2 Jul 2013 - Quantitative Analyst in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment. Focus on competitiveness, but not in a "me vs them" kind of way - you are competing with yourself to do as well as you can. Senior management is always trying to find more/better ways at employee introspection and evaluation to - gasp - actually improve the lot of the employee, not generate nasty metrics to hold over anyone's head. Very flexible work schedules when needed, and especially accommodating to workaholics that keep odd days/hours :) Why bring your own paddle? That is a pro and a con, but I'll put it here. It is both very easy to settle in and at most move about sideways, but if you are a 10X'er and willing to put yourself out there and be flexible with what you can/will do, opportunities abound - but it is more in your hands than anyone else's to make something substantial happen.

Cons

Chain of command is dynamic, which makes cultivating and advancing ideas sometimes challenging. Duplicate efforts crop up occasionally because there isn't sufficient communication taking place between different areas that are doing concept development, and the company is growing fast enough that this feels like it is increasing a bit. As for the Paddle - see above since it is both a pro and a con

2 people found this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

“Bring your own paddle” is a really good way to describe the environment here. The Fool’s People Team truly believes that you are in charge of your own career, and we are here to help make it the greatest it can be. You also mentioned communication, and this is something we value and continue to refine as we grow. Transparency and great communication is something we want to get right as we grow.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great environment! Fun people! Be ready to work.

20 Nov 2008 - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best reasons to work at the Fool are the culture and the people. The company provides an extremely relaxed work environment. Playing video games and foos ball are standard procedure, so sometimes it's amazing any work gets done at all. Did I mention that there is no vacation policy? You just take the time off when you need it. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked out. While they had some rough times during the dot-bomb era, they appear to turned things around and rebuilt a nice, solid business. As a testament to the company/culture, there are a TON of Fools that have been with the company for what seems like forever. The company mission of helping individuals with personal finance is generally quite inspiring.

Cons

You must be able to actually get stuff done in a very relaxed work environment. Do not expect a private office where you can easily shut the door and focus. We basically had a couple dozen desks on an open floorplan, with no walls, partitions, cubes, etc. Some people loved it. Others required some time to get used to it. While the mission of helping individuals with personal finance is great, the company has to walk a delicate line between truly help people and actually selling products/services that make money. The company has been criticized in the past for pushing products that are not 100% inline with the company's philosophy of do-it-yourself investing.

7. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

You are your only impediment to growing while at TMF

10 Sep 2014 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

No Vacation Policy -- take a vacation whenever you feel like it is the best for you, and even if you don't, you may find yourself being chosen in a raffle to go on a mandatory vacation anyway. The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company. Results Only Work Environment -- get your work done, if you still have time free in the "workday" do whatever your heart desires (game room, leave early, work on a side project) Unbelievable transparency

Cons

If you're looking for "career advancement" in the traditional sense, this probably isn't the company for you. The structure is flat, and the Fools who work here, as you would expect, tend to stick around for a long time (in a good way). But you will advance yourself as a person and pick up unique skills. But if your "title" is how you define advancement, you won't be satisfied.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work – but not for everyone

3 Oct 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think it’s important to remember that no work environment is perfect for everyone. I have worked at The Motley Fool for more than a decade and here are the reasons I still love it here. Amazing People – The people that I work with are some of the smartest, kindest and most dedicated I’ve ever met. In my work and even casual conversations I’m challenged and stimulated. Generally people that are jerks don’t last long around here because it’s just so counter to the culture. Constant Learning – The posts here have focused around the “lack of career path.” This is really by design and I love it. The Fool is constantly trying to align talent of the individual with the needs of the business. For me that has lead me to jobs I would have never imagined and given me opportunities to learn and grow beyond my wildest dreams. I assumed when I started here that I would be in marketing for the rest of my life, but I’ve now done product strategy, customer service, human resources, and tech strategy. I look at my career now and think I can learn or do anything and my skill sets are so broad that I can speak across several different levels of any organization and connect business initiatives across departments I can be myself – I bring 100% of me to work every day. "Me" is hard working and analytical, but also a little kooky, nerdy, silly. I’ve had jobs that I felt like I was leaving a part of myself at the door and that I was slowly become someone else that was hard and jaded. I don't feel that here. I can joke and play and still be taken seriously on a professional level too. Transparency – I love knowing how we are doing and how my job feeds into that. Everyone is encouraged to know the top and bottom line of the company, how our business model works and how their job fits into the company's long and short term plans. In previous jobs I’ve had no idea we were doing poorly until layoffs were announced or no idea that we were doing well until some people got big bonuses – but not everyone. I love that our bonus structure is the same for everyone and if we do well everyone does well, and if we are in trouble everyone pulls together to cut costs. Fun – I’m encouraged to have fun in my work and if I’m not having fun I’m encouraged to fix that.

Cons

Here are reasons you’ll be frustrated if you decide to work here and it's the wrong fit. Speed – Things move fast ALL THE TIME. We are a performance culture. I like the challenge of that but if you think this is a “great culture” where work/life balance means that you don’t work hard, you’ll be disappointed. It is flexible and there is a lot of fun, but there is always a lot to do. Change – I guess this goes with speed, but when something’s not working we change it. If we find a better way next week we change it again. This might lead to new jobs, new roles, new bosses, new initiatives frequently. I find that stimulating, but for some people it feels a little chaotic. If the seems energizing to you will like it here. If not you'll be confused and frustrated frequently. Communication – With so much change and speed it’s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time. You have to be proactive and build networks within the company to keep up to date. But this is encouraged and I don’t ever feel like information is intentionally left out – only that it hasn’t caught up to the official channels. Career Path – You never know exactly what your next step is around here, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t have opportunities. You won’t grow from representative to manager to VP to SVP to Chief something, but my experience is that I’ve seen consistent opportunities to learn, grow, and develop - and although a little confusing on paper, my career and skill sets have consistently grown along with my compensation.

18 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

This place is the best

10 Jun 2010 -  in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

the easy things to describe are unlimited paid time off (provided you get your work done), flexible work arrangements, practically free health insurance, no dress code (shorts and flip flops OK), the game rooms, the free food and company sponsored events (completely optional) . the things I value the most are the collaborative work environment, the respect and autonomy afforded to me as an employee, the everyday access to leadership and the total lack of corporate nonsense.

Cons

I know I could get paid more elsewhere. Also since this is a fairly flat organization, lateral moves are common (new projects, new skills, new responsibilities), but there aren't many existing paths to move 'up' (opportunities to manage people).

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Work, Flexible Lifestyle

29 Apr 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, even for contractors (I seldom go to the home office). Lots of support for different work-life arrangements. Interesting work; you get out of it what you put in for the most part. Fairly flat hierarchy means everyone is accessible and there's very little feeling of "management" per se--just people you go to for specific things.

Cons

Not really a downside, but you have to stay on your toes--things are always changing and new people are coming in steadily.

11 people found this review helpful