Mountain Equipment Co-op Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

3.3
Mountain Equipment Co-op Chief Executive Officer Phil Arrata
Phil Arrata
Pros
  • "Staff Sales, Pro-deals, Raffles, and mountain bike/climbing symposiums)(in 21 reviews)

• "Work life balance is very good for a retail business(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "i cant really think of anything bad to say about MEC(in 23 reviews)

• "Some disconnect between head office and store locations(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Advisor in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time

Pros

Nice environment, lovely team, good deals

Cons

Old systems and not much really open to new improvement suggestions.

2. "good place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales and Technician in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Mountain Equipment Co-op part-time

Pros

friendly, caring environment, good benefits

Cons

can't think of any cons!

"Good pay"

Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They always paid a little more than minimum wage, raises based on hours worked so after a couple years you can except to make a couple more bucks.

Cons

They don't seem to care about their employees much, you're a disposable minimum wage worker at the end of the day

"Over a year at MEC"

Former Employee - Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and knowledge people. Good benefits for a retail job.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication.

"No direction"

Current Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I started it was a great place to work, with great colleagues who inspired me to try new things.

Cons

Our team has been blown up and rebuilt several times in the last couple years. The new CEO isn't an outdoor user and doesn't see the value in our brand. The current leadership is pulling back from sustainability commitments and have even floated the idea of putting the MEC logo on gear we didn't make. "white labelling".

Continue reading

"Leadership treat staff like garbage"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Basic healthcare and dental coverage.

Cons

The new CEO has systematically stripped the Co-op of all its values. He treats the employees like pawns and doesn't care about anything except the bottomline. Today they laid off hundreds of store staff via an email addressed to "Dear, First Name". The couldn't even be bothered to personalize the firing notice. The co-op claims to be the "Most trusted brand in Canada" but it isn't even trusted by its own staff. A once proud and transparent organization now eliminates any staff who dissent. It's quite clear the CEO has no idea how to lead an organization, he has alienated all the passionate staff who want to help the co-op succeed and has surrounded himself with corporate shells who only care about building their own resumes. It makes me so sad to see the people who are ruining the co-op.

Continue reading

"Was a good place to work, just not right now"

Former Employee - Head Office Position

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time

Pros

There used to be an amazing workplace culture of being stoked to work hard, but also have fun and embrace the fact that MEC is an outdoor retailer and most employees are into adventure. With the new CEO that culture disappeared. Otherwise the discount, access to free gear, cool co-workers, decent benefits, work life balance, amazing head office building are all pros to working at MEC.

Cons

Pay isn't great and seems to be very inconsistent across departments and tenure. Projects never seem to be well managed and therefore either fail or are a flop. Head Office lost so many long serving employees, made for a not so great working environment. I would work at MEC again, just in a few years, when they have hopefully stabilized.

"Best of luck for MEC"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A chance to motivate people to be active outdoors and help them do it with good products at reasonable prices. Great people to work with and supervisors care and do their best.

Cons

MEC has been trying, but in todays financial climate it has a difficult road ahead to effectively compete with online retailers. With some slow increases, a living wage is still out of reach.

"Pretty lame job"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Mountain Equipment Co-op part-time

Pros

The discount was great, and my coworkers were generally pretty nice and inclusive.

Cons

The management there is bizarre. Your availability was considered optional, getting a day off was like pulling teeth, despite the constant bragging about how good they are for it, the management always looked down at the staff like they’re children, with constant micromanaging and fear of any initiative, and the pay was bad. They refused to give allow to have less hours, despite telling me to finding somebody who could take my hours. When I did, they said it was in my contract that I had to work X amount of days so I couldn’t give my hours to anybody else. It was that and never receiving a day off despite how far in advance I’d ask for it off, which made me just hand in my 2 weeks.

Continue reading
  10. "Review from an optimist"

4.0
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Mountain Equipment Co-op full-time

Pros

Solid place to work, if you are able to determine what you need from the organization + keep that scope in mind.

Cons

Past few years have been turbulent, due to the overlapping factors of organizational change, retail landscape and online shopping.

Found 197 reviews