Myer Retail Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

John King
  1. "sales assistant"

Retail Sales Assistant in Liverpool

I have been working at Myer for more than 10 years

Pros

Great working team always ready to assist with all our needs

Cons

nothing to add all good no problems

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Myer2016-05-03
  2. "Good uni job"

Current Employee - Casual Retail Sales Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Myer part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work around uni schedules Great casual loading on Sunday’s Good departmental friendships Team member discount

Cons

Company takes customers reviews in high regard which is a good thing. This means that employees are Constantly being rated by MYER one members. Often receive bad reviews on dirty bathrooms or lack of assistance at another register and this reflects onto your score. Management then looks upon you as a bad service team member -lack of staff

Myer2019-04-09

"Has changed so much over the years"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant

I worked at Myer part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

*The staff discount 10-20% *Working with some great colleagues * Good retail and customer services training * Some great staff members in The Womens shoe department in Myer Melbourne

Cons

* A lot of manager are bullies and micromanage everything * Management favour some staff members and they get the best shifts. Longer term casuals are not given any shifts favouring new casuals as they are paid at a lower rate * Minimal wage * If you don't get a shift within 3 months they dismiss you without much notice. You get a letter in the mail stating that due to not having worked in over 3 months you... employment at Myer is Terminated. * Management push sales such as add ons and online sales * Many times I work over time and not been paid for it * Some staff members have been employed for many years and have zero customer service skills. Infact many staff members don't havs customer service skills and either ignore customers and just talk amongst themselves.

Advice to Management

Please ensure fairness to all staff and give casual staff a shift every three months. If you need to terminate people due to them "having not worked in over 3 months' give them a bit of notice beforehand.

Myer2018-10-05

"Depends on the managers"

Casual Retail Sales Assistant

I have been working at Myer for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of hours during the busy period - Decent staff discount on top of already discounted items - Lots of other staff members who are fun and great to talk to - Ok starting job for students - If you're in the online team, you'll have a blast - although there are slow periods - Some managers are amazing and will go above and beyond to help

Cons

- VERY POLITICAL - Expected to do the work of 2 people or a whole team depending on the time of the year - Managers will take it out on you if they're stressed - Constant talk about making money and pushing the sale through - they'll make you download an app to show how you're doing in comparison to everyone else, and it will show you what customers are saying about you - Some store managers/assistant... store managers are NEVER on the floor and have the "air" of being better than everyone else. They are also constantly glued to the ipad checking sales. Don't even bother ringing for help. - Management like to push the "get in their face and make them buy" tactic. (They don't realise not all customers like to have items shoved in their face) - If you submit for a day off management will ask for proof (even if you state religious reasons). Will also ask casuals for a medical certificate if wanting to take a day off - No longer get POS trained, will now just throw you on the floor with no training. - Get ready to deal with a whole lot of complaints (need more staff, why aren't you trained to do this, you advertised this but you are not selling it -false advertising i'm complaining)

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE. There is never any communication between managers. One manager will tell you to do one thing and then another manager will come past and tell you to do something else. Morning meetings use to be about what was happening in store with a small talk on budget, now it's all about beating another store and making budget. Get on the floor (mainly higher up management). See what is happening on the... floor, experience the customers for yourselves. Retail is quickly evolving and management don't see what the customers want. The "care to share" program does not work effectively. It will either be mainly really annoyed customers cause they can't find anyone. Myer is no longer unified. They like to push "we are family" but they are not. 2-3 departments are placed together and called "zones". If you are not in that zone, the managers do not care about you. Listen to your staff. They go to you because they have a problem or they need help. Do not make it sound like they are an inconvenience/ do not take your stress out on them because your department is having issues.

Myer2017-11-12

"It was a good job. At first."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Adelaide
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Myer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with Wonderful customers - some of the best experiences I've ever had working in retail! Flexible with days off Good staff discount And that's it.

Cons

My first day of work I was put into a department by myself with no clue what I was doing, or nobody there to help me. I had to keep directing customers to another counter because I couldn't help them. You have to learn things yourself or from others as no training is provided. I was lucky enough to work with a good management team, however multiple times I was left to handle situations by myself which I needed a... manager for. You are left to deal with angry backlash from customers when they are too busy to assist. Multiple times I was left to run a department myself. Myer favours under-staffing and having nobody there to serve above pleasing customers. If you are hired by them, do not expect any hours. I had my first shift with them cancelled despite having not even started with the company. You have to check the roster yourself every week or you risk missing a shift without warning and they will slam you for it. One time I was called up and abused because the woman had mistaken me for somebody else that hadn't shown up for work. Real nice. You are expected to go in and check or call up every week because you are not given hours ahead. I also received some indirect bullying from some of the older women in my department. I was bossed around numerous times and was often picked on over ridiculous little things which they would find something wrong with what I had done and exploited me for it. After numerous years of loyal service, I have been repaid by having all my hours cut with no more expected hours in the future and ultimately, I was nothing but a number. I am no longer wasting my time with them and I am furious as to how I've been treated as an employee. They have lied to me about my hours picking back up numerous times. So now, I will repay them by warning others. Myer are focusing on a shrinking demographic that caters to people with a lot of disposable income which is becoming increasingly rare. The stores are losing a lot of money which they seek to recover by cutting hours of employees, resulting in customer dissatisfaction and further decreased profits in a feedback loop. Myer is a greedy, egotistical company that does not care about it's staff let alone customers. Don't even waste your time applying for a job there.

Advice to Management

You have been slow to respond to online shopping and your decisions to cut costs by cutting employees' hours is only furthering the customers desire to shop online because the in-store experience is poor.

Myer2017-06-28

"Retail sales assistant"

Former Employee - Causal Retail Sales Assistant in Sydney

I worked at Myer part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff discount across all brands, however fairly laughable compared to other companies

Cons

Myer is truly the worst place to work. After over 2 years of employment at Myer, I have come to learn a long list of things; management is absolutely pathetic, a total bunch of unappreciative wannabe excuses for leaders. Myer is CONSTANTLY understaffed, no matter what period it is (even christmas time is a joke). Staff are excessively overworked, with next to no recognition for their hard work. As we are so... understaffed all the time, customers receive little to no attention or assistance, employees have very minimal time to allocate to customers in need, and staff are caught up with so many tasks in order to compensate for a lack of employees on the floor, which ALWAYS leads to rude and frustrated customers that then leave us horrible feedback, causing management to "crack down" on us. it's a vicious cycle. not to mention the store is always FILTHY and there are always clothes EVERYWHERE!!! what a joke.

Advice to Management

Wake up to yourselves and look at the pressure you are putting your staff under. All you care about are yourselves and your sad little "careers" at Myer. You're all back stabbing two faced LOSERS, that are so quick to turn on the casual and part time staff that build you up and support you every shift. The amount of times us staff have had to take the blame for issues that happened at work in reference to dealing... with difficult customers, only then have management come swooping out as if they're the Gods of the world and the customers' knight in shining armor. Not to mention, your lack of leadership in the work place, along with the excessive understaffing is only leading to an extremely poor societal perception of Myer. Give me a break, and maybe realise the "Myer culture" that's so raved about doesn't actually exist. My bets are the company will be dead within 5-10 years.

Myer2017-02-08

"Worst experience I have ever had - Shocking"

Retail Sales Assistant in Gold Coast

I have been working at Myer for more than a year

Pros

Staff discount is generous. I have met some awesome people at work. Work experience I guess.

Cons

Unbelievably bad management, always understaffed and overworked, zero appreciation, rude customers, short tea breaks, rude managers, unbelievably dirty stores.

Advice to Management

Wake up seriously. You talk about being a family and delivering quality customer service when in reality there is NO customer service at all because you are greedy and keep cutting hours. You're only losing business & overworking your staff and upsetting your customers. Hooray. When will you wake up and realize this?

Myer2017-02-03