Myer Employee Reviews about "casuals"

Updated 21 Apr 2020

3.3
Myer Chief Executive Officer John King
John King
Pros
Cons
  • "Expecting you to work more than roster(in 31 reviews)

• "Newer casuals were never offered regular shifts after Christmas if they are kept on(in 25 reviews)

Reviews about "casuals"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great working environment"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Myer

Pros

Supporting team members, flexibility, great sales environment and team member discount

Cons

Less shifts for casuals

Myer2019-03-07
  2. "Nice place to work for a uni student"

4.0
    Former Employee - Team Member in Wantirna South

I worked at Myer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-There is not too much KPI pressure in comparison to other sales roles. -You can ask move departments after you have been there for a year or so which is nice. -The breaks are very reasonable. -There is plenty of work around Christmas time if you are a casual. -Smaller stores are quite close and have a nice sense of community about them. -The induction training is very good. -They care about workplace safety.

Cons

-Newer casuals were never offered regular shifts after Christmas if they are kept on. -Management turnover is quite high. They are also often stressed from higher management pressure. -Sometimes if you are working in Christmas you may be rostered or ask to work until midnight and then the following morning very early 6/7am. -Not a great deal of career progression if you are working on the sales floor. You can move to a team leader position if you have been there for 2+ years at least, but it is an extra $1 per hour which I am not sure would be worth the stress.

Myer2020-04-21
  3. "Casual work"

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Penrith

I worked at Myer for less than a year

Pros

Professional place to work at, some very nice people. Get staff discount which is great

Cons

Casuals barely get work, can be boring when there’s no customers

Myer2020-04-02
  4. "Christmas Casuals - Stay Away"

1.0
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sydney

I have been working at Myer for less than a year

Pros

Paid trainings Paid orientations Good casual pay

Cons

No shifts - they expect good availability but offer the least shifts. Try finding other jobs and put Myer at your last priority for the Christmas season. Too many last minute shifts - Christmas casuals also deserve a roster system and should not feel unwanted with thrown away shifts offered

Myer2019-11-17

"Eh (was actually a casual)"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Myer part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Discount covered all departments and could be added on top of sale items - Co-workers were the best! - Generally good hours... when you got a shift every 2 months lol

Cons

- Inconsistent hours!!!!!! - how is one supposed to survive off a shift every 2 months? At one point I went without a shift for a good 8 months. - Paid under Fair Work minimum wage - Dismissed based on availability when in reality they didn't give out shifts to casuals - Management had favourites, but that's always the case.

Myer2019-08-04
  6. "It's good, so far."

4.0
    Current Contractor - Merchandiser in Sydney

I have been working at Myer for less than a year

Pros

It's full of products! I find it fun and most of the time I work autonomously which is considered as great to me.

Cons

lots of casuals, and limited budget so the rosters are unpredictable.

Myer2019-07-11

"Horrible Management"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Myer for more than a year

Pros

Great and amazing team members who are welcoming and friendly. Met so many wonderful people and it was a comfortable job being an inbound call centre.

Cons

Management was atrocious. This was not all managers, but definitely the majority. - They hire casuals and then proceed to complain that casuals are not available all the time... You've hired CASUALS. - When you approach them with any issue regarding a customer's experience that was clearly the fault of Myer and we should rectify, they tell you nothing can be done and you have to go disappoint customers who are definitely in the right. - They forced a whole bunch of casuals to either leave or be full time. Not explicitly asking, they just gradually changed the environment to make us not welcome unless we had availability that they wanted... which was pretty much full time. - I was 'fired' over the phone for trying to find someone to cover a casual shift as I had another job. But technically because nothing I had done was out of line, the manager in question could not say I was fired, rather they asked me to "Really think about my place in the business" All for asking about getting a single shift covered. - After quitting (directly after that phonecall, because who would want to stay in that sort of environment) there was no fairwell, no weekend staff or managers knew I was leaving, no email response or phone call from the manager in question or any manager for that matter, only an automated email from HR saying "Termination of Employment Successful" Talk about being treated with 0 respect.

Myer2019-07-04

"Don't work for Myer."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Myer part-time for more than a year

Pros

The ONLY pros about this place are: - The discounts - Some of the people you meet there will become life long friends

Cons

Where do I begin? - Ridiculous hours worked for the pay check you receive. - No recognition for hard work, EVER. - No official training provided, they expect casual staff to train new staff - Casuals get shifts cut after 3 hours because they want to save a $25 instead of providing customers ACTUAL service - You can voice your opinions/concerns but will they listen? Probably not. - They'll drop you in a department you know NOTHING about and provide you with zero training and expect you to make the business sales even though you have zero product knowledge. - No support is ever provided to the Service Support team members because all focus is on sales. - Some questionable people are hired who don't know a thing about the business and therefore make customers annoyed. - Store opening time is 9:30AM but they will hold up staff and run store meetings until 9:25AM and open the doors early. THERE ARE NO STAFF SINCE YOU HELD EVERY ONE UP WITH THE STORE MEETING therefore resulting in = ANGRY CUSTOMERS because NO SERVICE!!!!!!! - Staff are expected to stay back longer hours to tidy the floor even after their shift has ended. - The business sets rules for staff to follow regarding certain things (e.g. gift card terms and conditions/return policies/etc.) and encourage us to follow it. It is quite annoying when we do = we have to say no to the customers request and after an agonising 20 minutes of being yelled at by the customer, managers will come along and say yes to the request. What is the point in setting policies/terms and conditions if you're not going to follow it yourself? - If you've had a terrible day, don't expect any empathy. The staff in this place lack it. - Management is toxic and play favourites. - When there are store visits/walks or an audit, they like to fake a lot of things to impress the visitors. - The staff are untrained and incompetent in many aspects due to only being provided with online training. The only thing they are constantly taught is how to sell, not how to provide great customer service. - Management insists that shift cuts in the quieter period will be used for busier periods (stocktake sale, Christmas) but when the time comes - the floor is still understaffed. It will always remain understaffed no matter what time of the year it is. - No praise for good work, only criticism followed by a meeting when something went wrong. - You are left to deal with angry customers who will spit out disgusting verbal abuse on you and you are expected to take the hit for the whole organisation even though the problem was probably not your fault. For such a low paying job, it's really not worth it. - Managers think creating a mindset of being competitive with Sydney's store will drive staff to make sales. Fun fact: we don't actually care. - There is truly no room for growth at this place. Staff who have extensively trained THEMSELVES and are well educated with the businesses policies and systems will never be chosen for a promotion as they'll prefer to hire externally and surprise surprise... provide no training and therefore a department is in the hands of a complete idiot. Cons about Senior Management: - Senior managers at Melbourne are completely unprofessional and useless unless it's regarding sales. Lack of assistance when needed and only know how to walk around demanding things be done by their floor staff. - Can easily do things themselves (e.g. hang a shirt that's on the floor up) but will be quick to radio on their headset to lower management asking in a demeaning tone why there is clothes on the floor. - They are LAZY. - Expect high sales on products they don't even know anything about. - Will refuse to answer their phones when you call them for advice about an issue but always be around when you stuff up. - Will never tell you anything to your face if you do something wrong but will always tell the lower managers. Even if they are standing right in front of you. - Constantly cooped up in their office doing "work" but really they're just wondering around - They will hire someone for a higher position just because they are related to a manager in-store rather than promote someone who has the actual skills and experience to do the job - Often whole management team are taken off the floor, without telling any of the staff just because they're in their office celebrating some occasion and getting spoilt with champagne, sweets and other foods for themselves. The list goes on and this is not the end of it. There are a lot more cons then pro's. Believe me.

Myer2019-06-08
  9. "Good pay, shifts during Christmas however be prepared for stress, drama and competition"

Former Contractor - Christmas Casual Retail Assistant

I worked at Myer for less than a year

Pros

- Good pay - Many shifts are given during the Christmas period - The discounts were nice 10-20% including on further discounted items + 50% every Friday for black work clothes on specific brands.

Cons

- Most of the managers are snobs, unwilling to change and want things completed in a very unrealistic time period, only looking at KPIs even though your job for most of your shifts are merchandising and helping customers - The store is always a mess because of the limited amount of people rostered on so it feels overwhelming walking into work - Competition between other Christmas casuals who want to be kept on so they are unwilling to help you + place more work upon you since they just want higher KPIs - Shifts varied, prior to Christmas the shifts ranged from 1-2 shifts (3 hours) per week to 5-6 shifts (3-9 hours) - Disgusting customers who expect everything to be about themselves when you are alone in a large department trying to be at the registers, clean up, stocktake and help other customers - Constant switching between all departments with minimal training

Myer2019-02-22
  10. "Christmas Casual"

I worked at Myer part-time

Pros

Good money, good hour shifts if you want long shifts.

Cons

Leadership are incompetent and unwilling to train casuals. They hire them in, and kick them out after 3 months. That's after they get you to do all the labour intensive jobs that no one wants to do.

Myer2019-02-20