Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Myplanet Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2019

4.7
Myplanet CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
  1. "Good working atmosphere, amazing leadership team, respectful co-workers"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Get to work with a lot of talented and motivated people - Very nice office - Leadership is very transparent and cares about employee's personal career development - Get to work on different projects - B-corp - Company is doing a good job at making sure everyone is being treated equally and respectfully in the work space.

Cons

- Have to work on multiple projects at the same time sometime - Not every project that you are on is super exciting

Myplanet2018-08-09
  2. "Great environment and work life balance"

Current Employee - Fullstack Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible hours - Work-life balance - Being an outsourcing company gives you many opportunities to work on several different clients/technologies - Great Downtown location

Cons

- Company struggles a little on how to place employees amongst the building 3 floors. - A gym reimbursement would be a great nice to have - Being an outsourcing company could also mean you could work with technologies that are not part of your expertise

Myplanet2018-07-26
  3. "A Remarkable Workplace With An Unbeatable Culture, Prioritizing People And Work/Life Balance."

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Myplanet for a little over 6 months now and I must say that I am completely impressed by my experience so far. Here are some notable items: GENERAL PERKS: - Plenty of opportunities to receive and provide mentorship - Remote working/work from home friendly - Flexible working hours/schedule - 5 "awesome days" for all employees to work on professional development, projects or anything... you want to learn to better your skills - Profit sharing and stock options - Pet friendly office. You can bring your dog to work. A very nice way to relieve stress in the work place - Office inside of a cool historic building in Toronto (tall ceilings, big windows, exposed brick, etc.) - Professional development budget for books, courses, some conferences and even buying new tech VALUES & CULTURE: - Myplanet has a solid culture, series of process and wonderful people - Strong culture of inclusivity that feels authentic - Hack days every quarter where you can collaborate with people from across different teams to solve interesting design/tech/business - Great pride in providing amazing customer experiences problems - Company is investing time and resources in very interesting areas like AR, VR, Voice-Tech... amongst others - There is a strong culture of knowledge sharing and promoting thought leadership - Myplanet is solid is in documenting its processes. The company wiki is great and super helpful. - Lightning talks every week. A chance to watch an interesting presentation done by another team member, and enjoy drinks and snacks with everyone - Culture of mindfulness and meditation is present throughout the company - 360 degree reviews are done every quarter, where you self-assess yourself and your peers which help inform your semi-annual compensation reviews PEOPLE & LEADERSHIP: - My coworkers are very intelligent and fascinating people - The IT staff are very great in providing you with fast tech support and the right tools to help you get your job done well. - The leadership team are very down to earth and are very approachable - 4 of the 5 original founders still work for the company - CEO is a very nice guy and actually takes the time to get to know people - Paths of advancements are made very clear to employees - Managers work closely with employees for professional development - People are given shoutouts for doing good work as well as for general celebrations (birthdays, work anniversaries, etc.) MISC.: - They have an impressive portfolio of clients and partners (some you'll learn more about upon joining the team) - Opportunities to travel for work if you work in a client-services oriented role - The company is always on brand - Employee retention seems quite strong

Cons

Like any company, it has some growing pains but nothing too major. The building is split into 3 floors so sometimes you feel separated from people on the other floors. The space is starting to feel more full as a result of growth. But the leadership team is acquiring more space to handle that. The office can feel quiet sometimes because people are offsite for client visits and so on. There are no stocked... shelves full of snacks like other tech companies (that could change though)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep making the effort to hear employee feedback and taking action on them. Keep putting things back into the company that are in the benefit of the people who work there. Also some more snacks in the future would be fantastic! Finally, keep up the amazing culture of CX where we go above and beyond to help the customers we serve.

Myplanet2018-08-08
  4. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great work life balance - Care about career growth - You can bring your dog!

Cons

- Because consultancy, will eventually work with older tech, or tech you don't know - No gym membership reimbursement

Myplanet2018-07-31

"QA Developer"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- There is lot of passion in the work environment - Efficient leadership - Freedom to implement new solutions - Constructive feedback from mentors - Regular PD meets and process improvement meets - Various recourses to learn new technologies - Promising compensation - Amazing work culture both professional and cultural

Cons

Haven't come across nay so far

Myplanet2018-02-12
  6. "Innovative studio with excellent culture"

Current Employee - Product Strategy Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent culture (focus on people values & technical mastery/curiosity!!), strong emphasis on training and development, focus on the future and developing capabilities in emerging tech, regular and proactive communication from leadership about the organization's mission, progress, and challenges

Cons

No parking, no breakfast/lunch provided

Advice to Management

Continue focus on people development and recruitment to ensure project teams are regularly staffed at the right level with the right people

Myplanet2018-02-02

February 7, 2018CEO

We love to say that Myplaneters are Makers, Collaborators and Entrepreneurs. We've spent a lot of time ensuring a strong culture, and I'm glad that it is resonating with you. We do have parking options available, though sometimes with rotating access. Please do let us know if we can do more to fund or co-fund access to parking. In 2018 we're deepening our investment in recruiting, skills training and leadership coaching. We'll be very happy if you can look back one year from now and be amazed at your own growth. We'll be there cheering you on!

7. "Business development"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Myplanet has proven to be a humbling experience so far - exactly what I thought it would be // how the role was communicated to me in the interview process. A few pros that come to mind: - Coming from a larger tech giant, I find that there is so much humanity here (in the work they do, their business process and how they treat their people) - also one of the first Bcorps in Canada. This was a huge in my... decision to move here and it hasn't failed to disappoint - extremely fulfilling. Really rare to see in the tech space. - Opportunity to work with a team with so much personality, integrity and expertise in their own domains. Opportunity to build something ground up. - Given that we're on an upward sloping growth trajectory, there is a lot of work to be done, which is a challenge but also a huge opportunity if you're a self starter. - Work with some of the biggest and leading companies in the world - projects are exciting. - Dogs in the office (for those who love dogs). - Our office is a heritage site and the first Bank of Canada building, real delight to the eyes. - Feel like I'm getting paid to learn. - They value work-life balance. - Mindfulness training.

Cons

- No free lunches but lots of free coffee/cocoa

Advice to Management

Really onto something with the incredible research and work they're doing around smarter interfaces, certified and/or endorsed by the big techies. Keep at it!

Myplanet2017-12-12
  8. "Fellowship program is great"

I worked at Myplanet

Pros

- The Fellowship program was well organized and very useful, they taught very useful and relevant web technologies in a fun yet structured manner. - Great company culture and environment, plenty of perks. - Really care about employees .

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about Myplanet.

Advice to Management

Continue and expand the Fellowship program

Myplanet2017-11-24

"Inspiring leaders and smart employees"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The smartest people I’ve ever worked with, always willing to help and share their knowledge. - The leadership team is a group of passionate and intelligent people who really do care about their employees. - There is a competency model the company uses to evaluate employees, 360 reviews, biweekly professional development meetings and other frameworks in place to help you grow in your desired career path. -... The work is challenging and fun, the company's initiatives in new technologies, smart interfaces and AI is super exciting. - The leadership is transparent and open. There are quarterly meetings to communicate company's direction and strategies. - The company culture around constantly making improvements to processes and operations is very encouraging. - Small but really appreciated: All desks can be adjusted to be standing desks!

Cons

Nothing major stands out to me but an area of improvement could be enhancing the breakout/collaboration spaces so they better facilitate myplanet's co-working culture.

Myplanet2017-11-02

November 7, 2017CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your review. We always like to say that the people at Myplanet are the number one perk. :) We're really glad that you agree. We are also very excited by the progressive work our team is completing around smarter interfaces and AI. We have an opportunity to be a true leader in this domain. I've added your suggestion around targeted upgrades to our collaboration spaces to the Monday meeting I have with our Directors. I agree, there are some simple changes we can make here that can make a difference. If you have any specific requests please do message me.

"Growth-focused, talent-driven. Company for people who want to be people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Myplanet's greatest strength are the people at the company. The talent level is very high and everyone is friendly and collaborative. The level of emotional intelligence is high. Projects are self-organizing and driven by the team members. The level of engagement and ownership is very high as a result. The biggest thing about Myplanet is that I like the people I work with. I like the work we do. I have autonomy... over how we do it. And I feel like I'm empowered to do the best I can. The company is dedicated to fostering an open culture. You can actually tell the C-level leadership what you think and they will listen. During company status meetings there are multiple venues to ask questions to accommodate different communication styles and locations. There's also plenty of 1-on-1 mentorship and syncs. The company also actively considers diversity and has a diversity committee to explore how to be more diverse. The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently. The open and iterative approach to leadership has definitely yielded results. In addition, more support is being offered by the extended leadership team than in the past. The path of advancement has been clarified and they are very clear in what kinds of people in different leadership roles.

Cons

Seniority isn't really a way to get your way here. It's a strong meritocracy. You need to be both strong technically, and an effective and empathetic communicator to be able to influence your team mates. You need to be able to explain why your decisions are correct while being respectful and collaborative. I wouldn't say this is a "drawback" necessarily, but for people coming in who expect to have a more traditional... culture, it can be a shock. Another downside is that projects can "follow you around". The nature of services is that you're doing something new 1-2 times per year, which is great for keeping it fresh. However, if you're a crucial person to the project then you can get pulled back into support it in exceptional circumstances (which affects your current commitments). The company has a support team which is supposed to handle these kinds of things, but it's still improving.

Advice to Management

Talent retention needs to be a focus. The strength of the company is it's people.

Myplanet2017-10-23

October 24, 2017CEO

We really appreciate the time you spent to write this review. You've called out a number of the hallmarks of the Myplanet experience, traits that we have (and continue to) reinforce and improve upon. We like to call it a culture of makers, collaborators and entrepreneurs. For team members who are joining, they are sometimes shocked that seniority doesn't carry as much substance as they might expect from other workplaces. We will indeed continue to challenge for not just seniority, but also substance and strong communication. We believe that makes everyone stronger. We will continue to make hand-offs to our support team cleaner, not just to ensure focus for our team members, but also the fastest response time for our customers who have support contracts. With respect to growing and retaining our strongest talent, this remains an absolute priority. Please do ping me on Slack, via e-mail or join this week's Morning Coffee (AMA) to ask what we have planned around talent retention. I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

Found 73 reviews