N26 Employee Reviews about "c level"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 20 of over 437 reviews

3.3
N26 CEO Valentin Stalf
Valentin Stalf
Pros
  • "personal development budget & subway ticket)(in 17 reviews)

• "Benefits - Pre-Covid times there were OK benefits like subsidised train tickets, gym memberships, free lunch once a week(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "A lot of the early stage people are now on C-level(in 14 reviews)

• "during hyper growth the communication was difficult between teams and new managers(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "c level"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Amazing Experience

Jan 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at N26 for 2.5 years and although there have been ups and downs, the overall culture and mentality of getting things done is clear. Yes there are times when the work is too much and there is a lot of pressure, but there is never a boring day. The new additions to the c-level are already making a massive impact and you can see that the work they are doing will have a good overall feeling on the business. Already in 2021 we know of many exciting things that will happen this year and being involved in that still is really cool. Loving it, loving the challenge and can't wait to see what this year brings.

Cons

Little to share tbh. My experience is amazing and challenging. Maybe that the work load is high, but that also brings with it some opportunity.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a great place for research and design

Jun 23, 2020 - Product Manager in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly great people below the c level just trying to do there job 1500 development budget but there are rumours we will lose it Free food and drinks in the office like is normal at tech companies

Cons

Almost all of our research team and many designers were cut during the pandemic. Research and design are not valued at N26. Our CPO cares more about her outside image than her team or the real work. All of her LinkedIn posts and the panels she attends upset me. We are all collateral damage while she finds her next job. She is so see-through really is just caring about her exposure more than any of us in her team. We have more product managers than we know what to do with. There were many less cuts there. We lost our manager in design after being left with a skeleton team that can't manage how much work we have. Zero support from the CPO. Our CEO is the chief designer. This means we don't actually need researchers or designers. Our CPO just does his bidding. How can you have a CPO not care about research and design? There is 1 about 1 designers for 10 tech teams right now. Research even less.

15 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

It’s concerning for us to hear that you don’t feel your work is being valued at N26. We will take this opportunity to respond to your concerns, and in addition we have shared your feedback with our leadership team for further reflection and action. Design and research are essential to our product and business. Not only in specific roles, but also in the mindset and attitude of everyone involved. We believe that curiosity, coupled with a data driven application, are core to making good product decisions. We see research as a dynamic, ongoing process that continues long after a product launch. This can range from an early discovery phase, case studies on consumer behaviour, experimentation, or post launch behaviour understanding - all of which are critical to business decisions. With COVID-19, business criticality was the number one priority when looking at work and roles to prioritise. As a financial institution, we needed to ensure that we didn't compromise the banking and stability side of the business, and this did mean that some roles were more impacted than others. While this is of course not an ideal situation to be in, we have been able to leverage short-time work programs, such as Kurzarbeit in Germany, to ensure we can continue to offer employment for all our fantastic people, while at the same time ensuring business continuity. There are no plans to change or remove the €1,500 personal development budget. This remains a great resource for our people to put towards activities and materials supporting their professional development within N26. We encourage employees of all levels to build up their personal brands, and to amplify externally the great achievements from their work and learnings at N26. We want to positively impact the career journeys of our employees, and leveraging things like networking and panel discussions can be an important stepping stone along the way. We are absolutely supportive of this, and our Employer Branding team is available to offer additional coaching and support in this area. We also put an incredible amount of effort and intention behind our leadership development programs. All People Managers at N26 have access to programs which focus on our people management frameworks, processes, tools and practices, to ensure that you as an employee receives the right level of care and guidance during your professional journey with us. If you are open to keeping this conversation going, the Employee Experience Partner assigned to your area would be a good next step for this dialogue. Details of this team and their responsible areas are shared on the company intranet. Thank you for speaking up and sharing your experience.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Crucial time, opportunity for impact

Feb 25, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product is great and there is a good market opportunity in the US when we get the product market fit right. This will be an important year for N26 globally. We hired strong directors, especially in product and we have some good C level leaders (People, Product and Banking). If the 3 of them can make sure the directors get the autonomy to have impact, this will be big. If you are a professional who takes ownership and you have drive for change, you should join and help influence the situation explained in “Cons”.

Cons

Unfortunately the CEO is a micro manager who is not able to trust people. A lot of the early stage people are now on C-level. They create a lot of frustration with experience leaders in middle management. Especially for product it is difficult to work with technology and marketing not having experienced leaders. They have never worked in a professional company, including the CEO. Lovely people, working really hard and trying their best but they are not fit for the job.

9 people found this review helpful

People, Lead

There is a huge opportunity for N26! :) The last few months have been quite the whirlwind for the US – launching, tripling our team and hitting 250k users in our first 6 months. We learned a lot last year going through hyper growth and have undertaken a series of initiatives aimed at making N26 an even better place to work. Including hiring at the leadership level and developing internal programs to develop and empower current and next gen leaders for the US and N26, globally. Your comments are valued and will help us continue to improve. If you’re up for it, I’d love to pick your brain further to understand how to enable a happier and more productive way of working.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

50% amazing, 50% pretty poor all in one

Sep 18, 2020 - CS Team Lead in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free Pizza! - Other really great benefits - Great people - Vibrant, forward thinking organisation - Good company focus on diversity & inclusion

Cons

Customer Service department was very stagnant and really didn't fit in with the vibrancy and agile nature of the rest of the company. It felt like a CS department from a bygone era that has gone backwards rather than modernised; all other departments had amazing, modern offices with engaged, autonomous staff. You then visit the CS building which was an old, run down office in need of severe TLC. Alot of practices in the department were also being added in where most progressive & modern CX departments are making an effort to move away from. (Such a the removal of an independent QA team and many menial processes being placed into an ever-growing and stretched "second level" team rather than making an effort to reduce these menial processes or by empowering agents to handle these themselves for a better and efficient customer journey and experience) Very archaic management practices within department; specifically the culture in the department seemed to be geared as such as that TLs (which there were far too many of, so much so that some didn't even have teams...) were just babysitting teams and any real people decisions were taken by CSMs (which there were far too few of for the number of agents in department and TLs) or by WFM. The large amount of TLs and the lack of upper structure lead to a large, unwieldy & disengaged junior leadership team. Incredibly poor stakeholder management skills in some support teams. It's very clear that some teams (such as WFM) have progressed from Agent roles and haven't received any coaching on how to work, communicate and collaborate effectively with agents and leadership. Was very concerning to see an abundance of "power trippy" behaviours from members of these teams which was felt by all levels of the CS function. No real effort on efficiencies in the customer journey and delivering an amazing level of service for the customer, unfortunately. It also felt very disheartening that CS was forgotten about by the bigger organisation. Lack of any C-level visibility in the building or even any sort of attention from them.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stay away

Aug 16, 2020 - Software Engineer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Getting Stuff Done Days, which are meeting free hackathons to build new and shiny things - Development Budget (€1.5k), which you are free to spend for conferences, trainings and other things aaand that's about it, the rest they have cut under the mantra of "cost savings", while we're still raising tons of investor money to pursue their DJ career.

Cons

The product org is the biggest joke I've seen in my entire career. Everything has OKRs and KPIs, none of them match the current company direction. If you don't hit these numbers, nothing will happen: no accountability whatsoever. Several initatives even go into the opposite direction of their KPIs, but if you think that stops anybody from continuing them - you're wrong, some people even get a promotion for that performance. As a result everybody just does the bare minimum of changing colors, merging buttons, adding icons or somehow changing layouts that a poor UX person can put it on their CV for their upwork profile. Nobody, starting from the CEO and the CPO has a clue what to do with the product. One day we want to do multi-banking and multi-accounting, the other day trading and savings, tomorrow crypto and insurances. In the end we just want to play catch-up with Revolut, which we are behind half a decade in feature development. We have the highest product to tech people ratio in the industry, yet nothing they can come up with is in the slightest sense innovative or ground breakingly unique as a differentiator. Even the app from Sparkasse has more features than N26 and delivers more per quarter. If you look at the background of our product people, several of them actually come from customer service from some kind of career progression path. Because chatting with people over a coffee is really all qualification you need for you to do product management here. The result is that they make the funniest and most ridiculous decisions - mostly driven by the product director bros that have not the slightest clue of what it takes to be a director but always give you a cool bro excuse on why the don't do the thing that makes the most sense. A common excuse PMs bring is that they are being micro managed by Valentin, especially here on glassdoor, but the reality is that they just really suck as product managers. Frequently you find PMs going to conferences to talk about the bleeding edge sh*t they don't do at work in order for them to secure their next gig at some other startup. Compliance is a total joke department, the first thing they introduce is waterfall software development so some banking operation dude with no technical background (probably originating from customer service) can micro-manage every line of code that's being released to production. Apparently it reduces risk when you can't ship anything anymore. Instead of fixing real compliance issues, they focus on writing 40 page processes that nobody can ever adhere to, implement or inspect. Security is a total cr*p show, the best security people they have are some kids with an AWS certification on how to define a VPC with security groups and due to that are super arrogant. Similar to Compliance they want to review code and "security test" every little piece of code MANUALLY before it goes into production (yes, you have to wait three weeks for them to look at it, plus another to test before you can release). The best they can find is that your JSON parser throws exceptions when it's getting malformed input - thanks for wasting everybodies time without any added security to the product. AML (the department that should fight fraudsters and money laundering and such) is a lead by a recent grad that apparently wrote a couple of sentences in his master thesis about it. Feedback culture is, after the PM org, the second biggest joke here. Everybody needs to constantly gather feedback from random people to improve themselves or get a promotion. In reality, you obviously ask your best friends to give you good feedback and then half of the company spends at least six weeks in calibration sessions, reading out loud what your friend has given you for a feedback and how that compares to that other dude that got feedback from his friends. Then in some elusive round of important people, they decide based on your name and your friends feedback whether to give you nothing, a 0.5% raise or a promotion with no salary increase ("acting" they call it). To top if off, there are constantly engagement surveys going around to make sure everybody is happy. If you wonder whether there is any change coming out of these surveys? Nope. They completely stopped after the last time, where they gave away free chocolate during Christmas to show that they care about you as an employee. Instead every team now has to come up with a set of actions on how to improve things. As you can imagine, the number one complaint is that our C level completely sucks - which obviously doesn't get fixed - as well as the other things you complain about. Feedback culture at N26 is completely broken and a waste of everybodies time. If you read other reviews, maybe you have read about Kurzarbeit (furlough). Effectively it was a huge layoff program of several hundred people. Anyone sent off was already circulating in low performer lists for a couple of weeks before the decision was made official. The crisis was apparently the right time and trigger to scam the German social security fund for some social security money to send these people off for an infinite vacation. If you read it while you're on KA, you are definitely not coming back ever: find a new job ASAP. Fret not, all the money we're saving and raising due to that is spent every month in a six digit marketing budget, excluding the enormous salary that the new Marketing Director from Uber gets from doing nothing all day. Since the crisis all hiring is frozen, yet people leave in masses. There is not a single week going by without a "goodbye" email. This happens in waves, so every year you can count on the full company to completely replace itself: you rarely find anyone working here for longer than a couple of months. The obvious result is that we have to promote inexperienced people into roles they are no fit for, again causing more people to leave. On top of the usual half-a-year re-org attempt to fix the broken matrix organization, we constantly have to merge teams to keep them somehow functional. Oh right, if you think that would cut the workload somehow, reprioritize initiatives or extend the timeline expectations? Not at all, Valentin will personally blame you and your team for not delivering. Due to that chaos, it's absolutely impossible to do changes that are bigger than changing the color of a button or a adding some logos. All big projects (which for granted have great project managers) fail or get cancelled half-way through because nobody is capable to deliver them. Everybody involved in the process feels entitled enough to say "no" to anything, starting from PMs that see their OKRs at risk, armchair architects whose sole education comes from Martin Fowler blogs (no wonder, half of the company is actually working at Thoughtworks or worked there in the past), low-light tech leads that don't want to do additional work and then the usual compliance and security people that want you to not change a single thing ever. The bias for inaction really sucks the lifeblood out of everybody and makes people refrain from doing anything that improves things. Working from home is a constant topic that comes back up every week and in every Q&A session. Apparently everybody becomes more innovative when they sit together in meetings instead of using Hangouts, at least that's the latest narrative that Valentin and Max want you to believe. I'm always wondering how they have so much time to micromanage everybody back into the office when they could also tackle real problems of their company. Looking at the recent history before everybody had to work from home, I have a hard time to understand how anybody at this company is innovative in the slightest sense. In the past, this caused the whole building to be out of meeting rooms all the time. To top if off, they were so concerned about the health and safety that they filed restraining orders against their own employees (!) to make sure they can't vote for an electoral board of a works council. The whole communication and reasoning around it is beyond doubt the most ridiculous narrative I've seen in my entire life. Thankfully the press covered it properly, so stay away from such a company and I can only hope that everybody working here is leaving as soon as possible.

41 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

It’s unfortunate for us to hear that you’ve not had a positive experience at N26. Given your 3+ years tenure with us, and our fast growth in recent years, understandably the company will look much different now from when you joined, and we realize there will have been growing pains along the way. We would like to take this opportunity to respond to your concerns and feedback. You mention feeling frustrated by compliance and regulatory topics which may have inevitably slowed down aspects of your work. We recognize that this transition in the way we work could be difficult for some, but we do see this is a natural part of scaling up from our start up roots. And while there are certainly more processes, and projects may take longer to complete, we would have to disagree with your statement that this is a waste of time. As a bank, security will always be a top priority for us. We give major kudos here to our brilliant teams who work tirelessly on critical security, compliance and regulatory topics. You have also shared frustrations of employees being promoted from other departments, and growing into new roles. We believe that internal mobility can be an extremely important part of an employee’s professional development at N26. That said, it’s important to point out that our internal mobility is facilitated through a structured recruiting process - the same approach we take with external candidates - and an equal assessment of qualifications is applied. The decision to ask some of our team members to participate in Germany’s short-work program, Kurzarbeit, was not one that was made lightly. Business criticality was the number one priority when looking at work and roles to prioritise, and only those in roles where the workload had a major impact, given the current situation with COVID-19, have been asked to adjust their working time. We have also offered a voluntary option for other team members to participate, such as those with children, where their preference would be to reduce their working hours at this time. As the year has progressed and the situation has improved, we have been pleased to welcome team members back to full-time work. Feedback is an important part of an individual’s personal development, and something which we rely on during our promotion cycles. We ask employees to obtain feedback from their key stakeholders in the business, which is then compiled in a promotion pack and reviewed to determine promotion readiness decisions. Our Employee Experience team also offers trainings on giving and receiving feedback. If you have any questions or concerns about our approach to feedback, and how we leverage this for professional development, we would be happy to discuss this with you. We appreciate you raising your concerns and sharing your experience with us. Our leadership team plays an active role in reviewing all Glassdoor reviews, and we will ensure your feedback is received. You can also get in touch with the leadership team directly to discuss your feedback and ideas for improvement, or through the Employee Experience team member for your area. Thank you.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Needs New Leadership

Oct 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really smart and hardworking people, especially at lower levels.

Cons

- Intransparent and inconsistent decision making (decisions not evidence-based) - Money and image come before employees - Poor alignment among C-levels and among departments - C-level tends to say one thing and do another / do nothing - No clear company vision - Constantly changing high level and low level priorities - CEO is a micromanager, which particularly impedes the product team - Many C-levels selected because they're friends of the CEO, not based on merit or qualifications

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Things are changing - in a good way

Jan 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although there have been challenges, I think there have been many changes to the overall processes, ways of working and the level of communication from management and c-level. We all know that last year was all about hyper growth and that made everyones role more difficult. But changes to communication, how well the company is performing and the impact we are making is great. December was a great month - we had better benefits introduced including 2 extra holiday days per year and an additional one for every year of service. The balance between work and life is getting better too with more flexibility in working. Things are definitely going in the right direction and I am really looking forward to 2020

Cons

Last year was a major challenge for many people and that caused a lot of uncertainty, long hours and lots of change.

8. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Business Internship

Jan 30, 2020 - Intern Finance in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

N26 is an incredibly fast growing company that encourages own initiatives and responsibilities. Thereby it offers a highly rewarding environment with close contact to c-level management. As an intern it is not uncommon to have direct contact with the two founders Max and Valentin when working on an important project. Also, N26 attracts lots of talented and motivated people from various backgrounds and everyone is open to share their knowledge and experience. I learned lots during my internship and can recommend the company to anyone who values challenging tasks and forward-looking fin-tech products.

Cons

Through the fast growth in recent months some processes are complex and uncoordinated. The company has to work on internal processes now to realize economies of scale. This might distract from the actual work sometimes.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A once great place to work that has lost its purpose along the way

Jul 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- good to have on your CV - access to latest tools and technologies

Cons

When I first started at N26 just before Series C funding, it was a fun, if a little chaotic, environment where everyone was passionate about the product we were creating and felt engaged in the mission to build a bank people loved to use. Over time, the focus has shifted purely to getting as big as possible in terms of customers, people and funding and the C-level in the company have completely lost sight of what got people on board in the first place. Burn out, backstabbing, firing people at random with no explanation or reason, aggressive attitudes and complete tone deafness towards feedback have instead become the norm. The spark and excitement that once came with working at N26 has completely disappeared. The environment could be bearable if they paid market rate, but I moved to an earlier stage start up in a similar role and got a 20% increase on my salary.

28 people found this review helpful

People Team

Thank you for your 2* review. We're sorry to hear of your negative experience at N26 and we wish you well on your next career ventures.

10. 1.0

Worst company I've worked for

Oct 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of nice and hard working underpaid exploited colleagues who deserve way better.

Cons

N26 comes with the classic startup speech and "benefits": opportunity for growth, open space, no hierarchy and plenty of snacks and drinks. Understand corrupted processes, nepotism, strongly rooted unspoken hierarchy and political games. Career growth is for the ones who are friends with the "good people", rewards for performance and achievements are widely ignored, and so will you be if you dare reaching out to your manager when company-wide raise round time comes (in September). You'd get 10 appointments for your anmeldung before having a chance to talk about your performance with your manager, simply because processes are a facade to shut employees up when real things only happen behind the curtain. Pace is way too fast and colleagues are exhausted, working way too hard because C-level expects us all to work 200% everyday. As the CEO puts it in a Q&A streamed throughout all offices "it is not a company for lazy people, we [the two founders] work very hard every week to achieve our goals and we think everyone at N26 should work just as hard", shameless when facing employees paid on average 30% below the market (30K for analysts, roughly 38K for some Team Lead positions). Everyone is jumping off the boat, as company is doomed by greedy, unconcerned and disconnected management.

23 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Hi. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience with us and want to take the time to directly respond to your concerns. While our massive growth in 2019 was not without its challenges, it also came with the opportunity to introduce many new programs and processes across the business. Last year we rolled out a bi-annual promotion cycle, which allows our people to take ownership of their development in a structured and transparent way. This approach involves creating a development plan and seeking feedback from your stakeholders. The feedback allows for transparency in how decisions are made, and is intended to help you grow and develop in a way that fits your career path. We work closely with a number of salary experts and also with the market here in Berlin to ensure we are fully competitive in how we pay our staff. Our approach to compensation and benefits is driven to provide fair reward for every role. If you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail, we would love to hear from you. Please reach out to the People Team and we will set up some time for a discussion around this. We also have an external Speak Up hotline in place, for any confidential concerns you wish to raise.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews