N26 Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated Jun 18, 2020

Found 13 of over 433 reviews

3.2
N26 CEO Valentin Stalf
Valentin Stalf
Pros
  • "personal development budget & subway ticket)(in 17 reviews)

• "Benefits - Pre-Covid times there were OK benefits like subsidised train tickets, gym memberships, free lunch once a week(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "A lot of the early stage people are now on C-level(in 14 reviews)

• "during hyper growth the communication was difficult between teams and new managers(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Reality doesn't match the shiny exterior

Jun 18, 2020 - Anonymous in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

People - N26 have hired some great people and it's a welcoming environment that's easy to get settled in. Personal Development Budget - once you pass probation, you have access to 1,500e (at the time of writing) to spend on things like conferences, books, courses, coaching. Benefits - Pre-Covid times there were OK benefits like subsidised train tickets, gym memberships, free lunch once a week. Those have now been cut or elinimated though.

Cons

Founders - they don't trust the people they have hired so they micromanage. They're not particularly inspiring. Lack of cross-functional teams - in Product & Tech there are a lot of teams but many are understaffed or incomplete. Don't expect truly cross-functional teams, or skills like Developers, Designers, Agile Coaches, Tech Leads, Engineering Managers to be available at the level necessary. That also results in many people playing multiple roles or being spread thin. Some roles are very demanding and there are high expectations but there's not much reward (benefits have been cut, salaries are not always in-band or to industry standard). Office - there are a few offices in Berlin and they are quite different. If you're unfortunate enough to be in K72, forget about a comfortable work environment. In pre-COVID times there were not enough desks for new joiners and everyone is cramped on top of each other, there is not enough meeting rooms. No secure bike storage. R22 is just dull. Ultimately, it's a chaotic work enviroment that offers no real benefit or reason to work there (aside from the people but you can get nice people at any company).

16 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback - both the positive and constructive - and will share this with our leadership team to reflect and take action on. It’s great to hear that the environment has been a welcoming one and that it supported your overall on-boarding to N26. We definitely agree with you that our Recruiting team hires amazing people, and this is what continues to make N26 a great place to work. To address your concerns around our perks and benefits, we did conduct a recent review and made the decision to scale back several of our offerings to support the business through the significant impacts we’ve seen from the COVID-19 situation. That said, no benefits have been eliminated, and we still believe that our employees have access to an attractive and competitive package across all locations we operate in. Of course this is not an ideal situation, but we appreciate our team’s understanding of these cost measures, with the ultimate goal of making us stronger for the future. There are no plans to change or remove your €1,500 personal development budget. We would encourage you to get involved in your department’s engagement survey meetings in the coming weeks. This is a great opportunity to bring forth ideas on how we can continue to improve and grow as a company, directly from your experience and perspective. Based on the feedback you have shared here, we’d love to hear what you would like to see implemented and improved. Outside of these meetings, you also have the opportunity to discuss your feedback directly with one of our Employee Experience Partners. The Employee Experience team is available to support you with all employee relations situations and questions. More details of this team and their responsible areas can be found on the company intranet. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, and for being a part of this journey with us.

2. 1.0

All sales, no substance

Sep 22, 2019 - Business Operations Manager in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Perfect if you graduate from a good business school, plus points if you're Austrian an look like the founders - Those who say "yes" will get ahead - Good banking app (but Germans standards are low) - Some good leaders at the lower levels - most of them are leaving though - Great "stories" to share with friends - Startup perks - drinks, pizza, free lunch 1/week

Cons

- Transparency value ha! What a joke! No view on financials. Investors told a completely different story from what's going on on the ground. - Integrity value ha! Promise to address issues from culture survey. 3 months later, nothing! Told "we're discussing this at a leadership offsite" - Drive value ha! Nothing except drive to see customer numbers which aren't going up. So much so they stopped talking about them. - If you're male, Austrian and come from a "good business" school you'll get your pet project pushed ahead - CEO doesn't seem like he can keep any of his leadership team. Except those who are the "yes men" - Growth of numbers "at all costs" - Sounds like fun. Not so much from the inside. - Best slogan. Overpromise. Underdeliver

20 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Thanks very much for sharing your feedback with us. We take all feedback seriously, and there are a number of points you have raised here that give us concern. These points will be taken back to the relevant people across the business. As we hope you are aware, we have introduced a whole range of new employee communication channels to share company information with all of our employees. We’re also introducing more tools and processes to obtain employee feedback. This includes our quarterly employee engagement survey, more detailed performance and development discussions, and the external Speak Up hotline where you can raise concerns confidentially. On top of this we have implemented a new All Hands meeting cadence to discuss business updates and company information. Finally, our Recruitment process is designed in a way to eliminate favoritism or preferential treatment for any groups. We have teams that focus on inclusive hiring both at the executive level and with our entry level team members. We never focus our hiring efforts on specific university types or backgrounds. We are proud to have increased our gender population month-on-month and continue to grow our business with a huge multinational community of over 80 different nationalities working with us. We hope you are starting to see a positive impact from changes that we are making following the huge growth period we experienced. Open communication is crucial to our continued improvement, and as always we would welcome a direct conversation if that is something you would be open to. Please reach out to the People Team if you’d like to discuss anything further. Thank you.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

great fintech company to work for

Feb 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

great startup atmosphere - also 1 weekly free lunch and pizza on fridays for all employees which enables team building flat hierarchies flexible times learning curve is high if you are motivated to take on new projects

Cons

during hyper growth the communication was difficult between teams and new managers be ready to adapt to changes and new processes

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Good place to work

Nov 11, 2019 - Customer Service Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get a lot of benefits like discount on your BVG monthly ticket, german classes, Urban sport, free lunch on Wednesday. The people who works at N26 are all young, motivated people, so the environment is very nice and familiar.

Cons

I honestly didn't feel like I was being heard. I had to change contract from full-time to part-time due to studying reasons. The company first told me we could have done that in a little time, then they stared to postpone it and postpone it again.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great work environment

Jan 30, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Fast paced environment with plenty of opportunity for growth * Able to make obvious and direct impact to business * Great engineering culture of learning and experimentation * Free lunch on Wednesdays * Pizza Friday

Cons

* Perks and benefits are a little ad-hoc and inconsistent across offices (but they are getting better)

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Extremely disappointing

Jul 30, 2019 - Software Engineer in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free fruits and drinks every day, free lunch on Wednesday’s

Cons

The worst part is that during the interview process they make you believe that you will be working with high quality and standards, the truth couldn’t be further than that, priorities constantly changing, large unaligned teams constantly shifting around, unclear goals. The mindset is to push out to production fast and low quality code full of bugs, that then is constantly being patched. For such a young company there is already a lot of tech debt, never have I seen before such a mess and spaghetti code. Even new developments are quite messy, there is a huge lack of design and planning, One of the things I remember they asked me in the interview was “Do you know the difference between a programmer and a Software Engineer?” I ask the question back, Do you?

29 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Team

Thanks for sharing your overall experience with us in the Barcelona workplace. Employee and applicant satisfaction is of utmost importance to us we appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. Our global recruitment teams have taken steps to make sure that all candidates in the pipeline are fully informed in the initial screen call and all interview stages. Good luck in your new ventures.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Bosses in N26 doesn't care about the customers only about the power games

Feb 28, 2020 - Business Operations Manager in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

International colleagues, Wednesday free lunch, good perks and salary

Cons

- Extremely top down culture. It's impossible to drive any initiatives or suggest changes that are outside of management "selected projects". No discussion is welcomed - The projects are selected on the basis "the boss likes it" rather the real needs of the company or customer. Nobody checks if the selected project is actually the best way to achieve company goals/ customer satisfaction. No one cares about prioritisation and data analysis. - Working in N26 is like "Game of Thrones", it's not about what you can do or your professionalism but about who you know and who you are friends with - Company is still growing, there is so much to be fixed and done. Yet there are teams of people that have nothing to do at all for months. That's caused by very "top down", structured, micromanagement, and very hierarchical management structure . - A lot of management is selected based on a "friends with higher management/founders" bases rather than competency - There is no correlation between projects each department is set to do and what is company is trying to achieve - The core of the business is a mess. There is so little attention to the customer security and privacy, it's incredible! Yeah, I had the worst experience ever with N26. For a company of this size and this stage of development I would expect more strategic vision from the top that is communicated and executed. As well as more enabled people of all levels to contribute to the company growth. Actually, a lot of people in N26 are like me, passionate about the product but limited to do anything beneficial to the customer

10 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re sorry to hear it was not a positive one. We do take this feedback seriously, as it's important for us to understand where our employees and former colleagues are not happy, so that we can address these concerns. Last year we went through a period of hypergrowth, which saw our employee base grow significantly to support all teams in meeting business goals. Understandably that type of environment is not for everyone, and can be challenging for even the most experienced individuals. That period of growth is now over, and this year we are working hard to ensure a more focused and involved approach with all of our employees. We have introduced new internal communication channels and adjusted our meeting format to make sure all of our employees are receiving up-to-date information about our plans and our overall objectives and key results (OKRs). These meetings are intended to provide clarity and alignment to all of our employees, and to allow an open forum for people to provide feedback and ask questions to our leadership team. In addition, we have approached our engagement survey from bottom up, so that our people can have the biggest impact on the change and direction they want to see. Our recruitment process is designed to identify and eliminate favouritism or preferential treatment for any groups. We have teams that focus on inclusive hiring both at the executive level and with our entry level team members, to ensure the process is fair for all applicants and not solely based on previous working relationships. Thanks again for your feedback and passion for the product.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A really enjoyable company to work for

Jul 23, 2019 - Manager in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at N26 full-time for more than a year Pros As we see the team growing, I feel it is important to provide critical feedback on the company. Many other reviews I see here are just bashful; you have to think how mature are these 'somewhat experienced' people if they're taking time out of their days to bash a company online. We are growing very successfully but at pace, we can’t be the small start up forever and that does not always sit well with some. Less Hierarchical, for people wanting to avoid politics and having worked at larger corporates in the past, I can confidently say there is much less of this at N26. It is often the case that you will debate against seniority (e.g the 'experienced' people) - this is the key to success. Seniority often leads to complacency and misplaced ego, you must be willing to question your own assumptions and take criticism from others - how else can you grow? Self Learning at N26 enables us to tackle problems that are entirely unique and consecutively encourages us to seek unique solutions. We spend a lot of time diving into the data and business with no initial directive apart from improving our product and the way we do things. For the thinkers out there, this is ideal. Data & Logic First - No decisions are made with a "because-I-said-so" attitude. Due to the speed of growth and collective ambition of employees, there is no room for assumptions. N26 bases all decisions on data where it is available. Some 'experienced' hires sometimes need to get used to this since they're accustomed to common practices. If the vision is to create something new for the world, how could we possibly do this by following in the footsteps of those we're trying to replace? Growth at N26 - It is quite obvious that several of the brightest people at N26 will be future founders. There are many ambitious employees who yearn to make an impact and change things. They work a lot out of a sincere addiction to what they do and subsequently they get rewarded. Culture - At N26 we have a truly diverse workforce with 70+ different nationalities just working from our Berlin office. We are continually opening up new offices abroad and we get given the opportunity to work in some fantastic locations. We can bring our dogs to work, have free snacks including healthy fruit, veg, nuts and dried fruit and not to healthy chocolate’s biscuits and sweets. We get free lunch on Wednesday’s (with vegan, vegetarian and fish and meat options), drinks on tap (hot, cold, soft and alcohol) - Pizza Friday’s and then, let’s not forget we have some truly iconic parties. However to be successful at N26, vision should be embedded in your culture. A vision for your team, a vision for the product and a vision for the company and I love how we do that here. It comes with its sacrifices - but what doesn't? Moreover people at N26 seem exceptionally collaborative and friendly with one another. We arrange many of our own monthly social activities, share learning resources and constantly discuss new projects we can tackle to improve the product. We also get 1,500 to spend on personal development of our choice. Office Hours - I have read some reviews on people working long hours, but I personally don’t see many in the office past 6.30pm. Given we have the flexibility to come in early or late (it’s very adult here). People may choose to work longer hours but it’s rare. I tend to be one of those that comes in later around 10am and leaves later and I'm normally the one switching off the lights at 7pm so I can only speak for myself. I guess there is an exception to the rule and this is customer services, they do work shift time and ergo may work later hours (but they are not in my building). I get to meet them at our regular parties though.

Cons

Office in Berlin - Our other locations have some very flashy offices, but the Berlin office renovations seem to be dragging on for a long time. It’s also rather an old building we have moved into. I know this is just a temporary blip but we also have very hot summers in Berlin, 30-38 degrees at times and it would be nice to have air conditioning (and not just fans). That said, we seem to get a lot of treats during hot spells including vegan ice cream cookies, amazing artisan flavored teas, cute hand held fans and ice cream tubs (there is always a vegan option). You get the feeling everyone is trying their best to make it as pleasant as possible and we know improvements are coming. Growing Pains - We have added over 1000 staff in the past year and we don’t look to be stopping. I think to be successful here you have to be comfortable with ambiguous environments and comfortable with change. Experiment and measure is at the core of what we do. This environment is really empowering for me but it’s not for everyone. We don’t have everything together yet in terms of process and procedure but I don’t even think we want to be that type of company either. LEADERSHIP and OWNERSHIP is what will drive culture and productivity forward - nobody should be telling you to take on these qualities, it is something you should do own your own.

5 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Team

Thanks for your candid feedback and 5* rating. We always aim at providing every employee with the best working conditions and experience possible. We hope your enjoying the workplace now everything has been completed.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Thankless workplace that doesn't care about you

Feb 11, 2020 - Marketing in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

The annual Christmas party event is good, and there's free lunch once per week. And ofc there are cool colleagues too.

Cons

*There are so many people working in senior jobs who seem to be completely out of their depth in terms of knowledge, managerial interpersonal skills and experience. Often, people are only hired because they come from "big brand name companies" and the hiring team seem to think this means these people will automatically be some sort of asset to the company, but time and time again this has proven not to be the case. *There's no clear business hierarchy between teams or managers and the result is that the majority can't agree with each other, and projects are often miscommunicated or delayed. *ZERO chance of promotion of salary increase once you're inside the business (unless you're friends with the CEO or work in HR) so make sure you ask for a wage you'll be comfortable sitting on throughout the entire duration of your employment upfront. Don't let them tell you you can "negotiate it later", because believe me, that's not true. *There's no one steering the ship at N26 so you can expect to feel undermined, frustrated and fed up very soon after starting here. It's a constant circus and very few senior team members seem to care. *It's quite common to find yourself doing the work of 2 or 3 people, with no hope of renumeration or an evaluation afterwards. They lead you on with their so-called "annual compensation scheme" but it's an absolute mess with deliberately vague guidelines. Even if you do follow the scheme, the chances are your application for promotion will be denied without good reason. This is the point at which most sensible people leave the company for a better paid job. *Don't expect to get recognition for your work. Your manager's probably too busy. *There's no official guidelines around working from home which basically means if you have a cool manager that doesn't care, you get it, and if you don't have a cool manager, you don't. *One to one meetings and 6 month check-ins with your manager are rare. They just don't have time.

10 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Hi there. Thank you for sharing your feedback and views from your time with us. As you will be aware, last year we went through a period of hypergrowth which saw our employee base grow significantly to support all teams in meeting business goals. Understandably that type of environment is not for everyone, and can be challenging for even the most experienced individuals. Like every company there is always a level of attrition that sees people move on to other opportunities. We look to counteract this with new initiatives to help our employees with their work-life balance and by supporting career development. During this time we introduced our bi-annual promotion cycle, which has been designed to allow employees to take ownership of their development in a structured and transparent way. Our approach, which involves creating a development plan and seeking feedback from your stakeholders, is intended to increase transparency in how decisions are made, and to help our employees grow and develop in a way that fits their career aspirations. We host Development & Promotion walk-in sessions during the bi-annual cycle, to support team members with any questions they might have related to their personal development. Our Reward team continues to work closely with a number of salary experts, and the local market we operate in, to ensure we are fully competitive in how we pay our staff. Our approach to compensation and benefits has always been driven to provide fair and competitive reward for every role. In the past we have taken a flexible and pragmatic approach to working remotely, and shared these guidelines on the company intranet. Now, given the current global health crisis, we have been supporting all teams with the transition to remote work. This has been facilitated through access to office tech equipment at home, as well as online resources to outline best practices for working at home and collaborating remotely. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. It’s important for us to understand where our employees and former colleagues are not happy, so that we can address these concerns.

10. 1.0

Operations

Nov 28, 2019 - Operations in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I hope many people will understand this is an honest review and although some words might seem too harsh, each was written in good faith. - Some colleagues can really keep your morale high. - You get free lunch every Wednesday. - Free snacks and soft drinks. - You might be able to evolve a bit in the company. - They've just fired the incompetent COO, so they might actually be sentient.

Cons

You're expendable if you're in Customer Operations (customer service, banking operations, etc…). It's a segregated (us and them) situation. People on the outside despise you. There's nothing you can do against that. Every other department looks down on you because you're not part of the "earning" departments. You're the "cost". That's what corporate brainwashing does to you. You're on the receiving end of everything all the other departments have done wrong: - The CEO made a poor decision, (he let a lot of fraudsters in. He wanted to launch in as many countries as he could without consolidating all the broken parts in the company and app before, etc…) - Tech created a bad line of code somewhere, (happens all too often) - Design created a poorly thought out design, (or plainly stole ideas from Bauhaus and Monzo or whatnot because that's what designers do) - Product created a useless feature in the app, (nothing has evolved in my time, they're twiddling thumbs all day) - Marketing sold a malfunctioning app via millions of € spent, (they're the greatest bunch of big-headed and lying bunch of people) Yet, you're the paria, the Untouchable. There's true condescension and no actual bonding between departments. They've managed to fence everything. Product, Design and Tech are cherished. For the rest: - low salary, - low to no recognition from your leaders, - everything is still startuppy. Structure is none-existent. You wouldn't expect that from a bank. - poor planning from A to Z. In terms of space (you'll be moving every two years at least), in terms of employee happiness, in terms of their beloved IPO (which they've always said they were against) but will surely arrive in three years tops. About this last point: they're looking at ways of shaving off a bit of the payroll by enticing employees into an ESOP scheme. It's quite easy, you surrender 2-4 thousand bucks a year and get "stock options" which would basically quadruple in value. But nothing guarantees that your lost income will eventually be repaid by these stock options. They're just looking at ways of saving money people. There's a good chance you'll end up an alcoholic, coke or X addict after a few months in the job because of the pressure you endure. Chief Executive Officers (you get two for the price of two): One of them thinks he's a DJ and surfs on his rich person aura to pick up girlfriends. The other wants to be the Austrian Steve Jobs and keeps micro-managing everything although he's barely liter-ate enough in German. They've surrounded themselves of yeasayers (people who say yes to everything you have to say). He's in a competition with this other person over at Revolut. It's like the Soviets did something bad to his Austrian ancestors in WWI or WWII and now he wants to exact revenge upon him in retaliation. In this revenge act, he's opened the gates of identity verification to attract the greatest number of users. There's now a lot of cleaning up to do, and this fellow here is responsible for the mess. He's fired many people he deemed at the origin of the issue. He's the source of many of the company's troubles with regulators and employees. Not many people respect him in the company. Chief Financial Officer (he's present or not, you can't really tell): The DJ I was telling you about in the previous paragraph. He's almost never there. Hasn't had a clear role in the running of the company. I think he brought in some initial capital and is a bro of pseudo-Steve Jobs. Enough to have three (not one, not two, but three!) positions in the company now. He's CEO, CFO and interim COO (read more about it below). Chief People Officer: She brought her protégés with her when Soundclound crashed. So that means she fired a lot of people over there and then recruited them here. She's like the CPO, she knows whatever the CEOs want and is always there to please them. Chief Operations Officer (or former because he was fired yesterday): Stood in shoes too big for him. Had no prior knowledge of Operations. He failed at all tasks assigned to him. He recruited people who went through consultancy companies and expect them to solve world hunger. They don't, it's as simple as that. This guy was craving to be accepted by the bosses, he was constantly pressing for "happy customer journeys", ie (he loves this "ie" expression by the way) people who had gone from a bad perception to a good perception of the company. He spent his final six months in the company brining these same stories up each time he was given the mic. Chief Product Officer: She's a good talker. She knows how to take care of her employees and get them whatever they want. She's got no particular knowledge of what Product should be. She just says whatever the CEOs want to hear. Chief Growth Officer: Nothing to say about him really. He's just been promoted to lead this department, made up of Marketing (they fired the Chief Marketing Officer eight months after she began because they overspent for few results). He's young but not too overly confident, which is something you wouldn't expect when you first see him. Chief Technical Officer: He's pretty good at managing through hard times. Otherwise too concerned about other departments' work. Had to merge Data and Technical roles because the other two interim CTOs they had were of no use. Chief Science Officer: This was the greatest joke of all. They recruited this guy as a CTO before realising he was too self-absorbed to actually do anything productive. So they created this fictional job, Chief Science Officer, which allowed him to be paid heaps while spending his time attending conferences where he would speak of himself and how great he thinks he is. Chief Banking Officer: He's probably very good. Hasn't been there for too long, but he's taken over some of the most complex themes.

35 people found this review helpful

N26 People Team

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your experience of N26. We are committed to answering all reviews in as much detail as possible. It is clear that this review has much emotion behind it, and with it there are statements here based on opinion rather than fact. We would appreciate hearing from you directly to better understand where these impressions originated. Our C-Level management team are selected for their roles based on their expertise in their respective areas. Our recruitment process is designed to identify and address favouritism of candidates, to ensure the process is fair for all applicants and not solely based on previous working relationships. All business decisions are made with careful thought and consideration to identify the right person for each role and to drive team performance. There are of course times when plans change or new processes are introduced, and we appreciate that this can be challenging to navigate during a period of fast growth. We are working hard this year to ensure a more focused and involved approach with all of our employees, and truly hope that you will see this become a reality. You mention the high pressure environment, which we understand can influence increased pressure in times of growth and that may be extremely challenging for some. As you will be aware we have introduced a range of guidance to support people with a better work-life balance, including increased annual leave entitlement and more flexible working arrangements. We take the feedback received in our engagement surveys extremely seriously. The core objective of the survey is to promote open and honest conversations across the business. This is why, after our management team reviews the results, we also share the feedback with the entire company so you can see the results, discuss, and take action within your team. Each team is encouraged to identify 2-3 opportunities for improvement and set up team-specific actions to drive change. Again, we would welcome the opportunity to keep this conversation going and better understand your experience and where your sentiment originated. If you would like to have a confidential conversation about any of the feedback you raised, please reach out to the People team. You can also contact our external Speak Up hotline, where any concerns raised are handled with full confidentiality in a secure and anonymous way.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews