Natera "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Natera Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 5 Apr 2019

3.4
Natera CEO Steve Chapman
Steve Chapman
Pros
  • "Benefits are great, catered lunches and stock options after one year of employment(in 26 reviews)

• "If you are into food, the company provides free lunch and snacks(in 20 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Brilliant people, but growing pains"

I worked at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really smart people, fun team events, food perks, convenient location

Cons

Growing pains means crowded office space and lack of structure (but they were working on building better processes), culture could've used a bit of help to make employees feel more valued

Natera2019-04-05
  2. "Great promise for the future"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Significant opportunity for future growth, talented people, determination

Cons

growing pains as we expand

Natera2019-01-12

"Clinical field specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture and great benefits

Cons

Young company with growing pains

Natera2018-02-23

"IT"

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, great product, growing business, flexible environment, free lunches 3x a week, 401k with 50% match, espp, bi-weekly massages, stocked kitchen.

Cons

Growing pains of post startup, budget cuts, cross-departmental dependencies, not easy to accomplish tasks due to complex business model.

Advice to Management

Good work, keep it up !

Natera2017-10-21

"Great company, needing improvements"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great fringe benefits. Hours can be flexible, depending on departments. The company hosts town hall meeting on Q1-Q4 reveue cycles.

Cons

Start up company growing pains from to many management staff and no developmental training.

Natera2017-05-15

"3.5 Overall Rating - Has potential to better...(Austin, Texas)"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

- New building is awesome - Upper management is always open to suggestions - Plenty of room for growth - Training is great - Management is approachable with any concerns

Cons

- Still experiencing some growing pains - There is room for improvement in the company culture - There is room for improvement in office etiquette and overall professionalism

Advice to Management

A few bad apples can ruin the bunch but these are all easy fixes if leadership takes a stronger stand on company morale and core values. Once these issues are addressed productivity and quality of work will also most likely benefit.

Natera2016-09-02

"Disappointing experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few smart colleagues. A good stepping stone for new graduates seeking opportunities in biotech. Office that is close to both San Francisco and San Jose,

Cons

A few important ones: 1) Poor management, as pointed out in so many other reviews. People in most leadership positions are where they are because they have been in the company long enough or they suck up to the executive team, not because they possess the skills of a true leader. This results in micromanagement (rather than management), frustrated employees, high turnover, etc. A good portion of the management team... is unemployable at any other company (in my humble opinion), and they do not know how a real company operates. 2) No real long-term goal, instead constantly changing targets. Important project decisions made based on executive team's daily mood. A project that is company's number one goal becomes defunct literally the next week. New projects are started without due diligence and cancelled within a few months wasting all the effort spent on them (I saw this happening so many times). 3) Unprofessional behavior. I have observed many instances of people yelling each other in meetings (sometimes even swearing). Any one of these would have resulted in serious consequences for people responsible for this behavior in a normal company. 4) Lack of career development. Promotion decisions are based on favoritism, as simple as that. Salaries are not on par with other Bay Area companies, so it may be a good place to start a career but economically not a smart choice in the long run. 5) High amount of workload, mostly due to poor management and moving targets. Company's response to these criticisms so far have been: (1) ignore them as growing pains (2) plant fake reviews (3) ask "happy" employees to write reviews (I don't question the integrity of some recent reviews but the good ones are either from the new employees who haven't seen the real deal or from the managers who are actually the source of the problem). If you make your employees happy, good reviews will come automatically. But seems like HR is focused on making the company look good here rather than changing the toxic culture resulting in these reviews.

Advice to Management

Hire & promote true leaders rather than ignoring the problem. Do not treat your employees as disposable entities.

Natera2016-06-24

"Field Sales Experience at Natera"

Current Employee - Clinical Field Specialist

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

The company offers great resources to its outside sales team. I have a monthly budget that is more than adequate and feel that the training I've received by the company has been excellent. For a young company, Natera offers competitive comprehensive benefits that are very solid. The sales leadership puts good money on the table for the sales team to earn, and I've certainly earned my share with solid sales... performance.

Cons

Like any young company, Natera has shown a few growing pains over the past couple of years. With that said, I've seen great improvement in the performance of the lab itself and believe in the company vision for the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve products and performance in the lab. Get our carrier screening turn around time improved asap and launch twins for Panorama.

Natera2016-06-14

"Everything is changing all the time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is doing great work. Our tests and services are amazing and something to be very proud of.

Cons

Company is going through some serious growing pains and it is effecting morale and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of thinking through major decisions.

Natera2016-03-02

"RUN! Don't just walk away."

I have been working at Natera full-time for less than a year

Pros

-fully catered lunches (pretty yummy actually) -dog friendly -clean gyn -clean office environment But were at a time where these should be considered normal not "perks". Can't think of any young company which doesn't offer these as part of a standard work environment in this day and age. The company itself is doing good work and is making changes in women's healthcare.

Cons

These reviews are all true, and management is a big problem. Your not valued at all at Natera and a recent and sudden departure of someone which has rocked multiple departments proves that. We are all treated as if we are dispensable and that does not make make anyone happy to come to work. Don't try to brush this off as growing pains. Growing pains are running out of office space or not having well defined job... roles, not being unhappy and underappreciated. Pay is also under market. The IPO was cool but not all of us were given stock so there is a divide between the ones who got stocks and the ones who didn't. Above everything is the poor management of those who are supposed to lead and guide you and make you strive to do better. There are no leaders at Natera, only yellers. The second you make one mistake, you'll hear about it from 8 different people within an hour, or just not hear about it at all and then just get fired. It's a toxic work environment and all the recent turnover is proof of that. We've had employees quit after two or three weeks...is that not a sign that somthing needs to change? The job responsibility varies in a company like this because we have customer support, research, laboratory operations, marketing/commercial, etc. all under one roof but no one truly seems happy.

Advice to Management

Take a strong look at who you've promoted to leadership positions. This many people are not wrong. Create better career paths for people so they at least have something to strive for. You have created a culture of everyone being here for a paycheck until the next best thing comes along.

Natera2015-09-23