Nous Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Nous Group Reviews

Updated Oct 7, 2019

Found 46 reviews

4.0
Nous Group CEO Tim Orton (no image)
Tim Orton
Pros
  • "Flexible working arrangements, available to people at all levels and in all roles(in 11 reviews)

• "Great culture, flexible work patterns, ability to work on a wide variety of projects(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The self management style/flat structure of work can sometimes lead to issues not being addressed fast enough(in 4 reviews)

• "A lot of public sector work with few private sector clients(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great culture, flexible working and learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Consultant in Canberra

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone gets to know each other well and you feel like you always have friends, advocates and support networks at all levels of the organisation. Strong team culture, everyone recognises that if we all improve we're all better off so we don't have to compete with each other. Flexible working arrangements - I'm studying part time while I work and they're very accommodating. Nous always encourages you to teach... each other and learn from each other.

Cons

Self-management can be challenging but the rewards generally outweigh the costs. It means you might need to build your own support networks alongside your formal ones.

Advice to Management

I think more time needs to be earmarked for professional development. Obviously client needs come first, but I think being in charge of your own professional development means it's easy to push it further and further down the list and not prioritise it.

Nous Group2019-09-10

September 17, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. It's terrific to hear that you are enjoying your time at Nous, including working with your colleagues. Learning is a huge part of Nous' culture. Nous offers extensive professional development through savvy sessions, information essentials, structured learning programs, and project based learning (which is super effective and continuous). I agree, there are times when we all push learning further down the list. Clients do come first, but clients also benefit from us keeping our capability current and building our skills. In a self-managed culture sometimes you have to be brave enough to make the call to attend the professional development on offer, making a judgement call on the value at the time . Not easy, but something for us all to be mindful of, so we continue to learn, grow and perform.

2. "Great place to get a toe hold into consulting"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easier interview process; relaxed dress code

Cons

Pay isn’t great, high churn

Nous Group2019-10-07

October 8, 2019Chief People Officer

I am glad you developed your consulting skills while working with Nous. Our collaborative culture means that you get exposure to a variety of clients, projects and project activities. We pay competitively, with a value proposition that goes beyond remuneration. At Nous, we are driven by our purpose, which we call positive influence. Our purpose is partnering with clients to improve people's lives. You will work on interesting projects and with clients where we share a common intent for good. And yes, you will get to dress for your day (and your clients), which means you don't wear a suit and tie, or equivalent, every day :) Our turnover rate is not excessive and is well within the healthy and expected range. We are always very excited when Nousers go on to do amazing things, and of course, there are times when consulting, and the Nous culture, aren't the right fit.

"Solid workplace"

Current Employee - Executive and Project Assistant in Sydney

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast pace and lively workplace. Smart people who are always a pleasure to work with. Always something interesting to work with, and lots of opportunities to be exposed to different industries. A really great caring culture.

Cons

The self management style/flat structure of work can sometimes lead to issues not being addressed fast enough. While there are many opportunities to up skill, there is not any clear path for career progressing in this particular role.

Nous Group2019-08-26

August 27, 2019Chief People Officer

It is a pleasure working with smart, interesting, interested and caring people. Thank you for being one of those. I am sorry you haven't found a clear path for career progression. It is different in corporate and executive assistant and project support roles than in consulting as there are fewer opportunities for career progression. We aim to create up skill opportunities and stretch, to keep things interesting.

4. "A uniquely supportive, flexible but intellectually stimulating workplace"

Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Intellectually challenging projects across a range of sectors and clients, including government, not for profit and private - Colleagues who genuinely care about and invest in your development and wellbeing - Flexible working arrangements, available to people at all levels and in all roles. A real push to ensure Nous works for everyone, but particularly part-timers and parents of young families -... Opportunities for growth and development, both on projects and within the company, as well as externally (short courses, longer term study) - Opportunities to take time out when needed, such as unpaid leave and career breaks - Great hours by consulting standards

Cons

- For some, the intense, fast paced work that consulting offers can be challenging to adapt to depending on your previous roles, but Nous recognises this and provides support during onboarding and ongoing

Nous Group2019-08-23

August 27, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review, and for your dedication to Nous. Nous is a fast paced environment (isn't every consulting firm?) so you do sign up for pace, energy and stimulation when you join Nous. You also sign up for collaboration, development, growth and flexibility. I think that is a pretty good deal :)

5. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive and Project Assistant in Melbourne

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nous practices what they preach! I have never felt so comfortable and supported in a workplace.

Cons

Nous offers an autonomous style workplace, this might not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and thank you for always looking at ways to help up skill and support Nousers.

Nous Group2019-08-22

August 27, 2019Chief People Officer

It is really affirming to read a review where a Nouser states 'I have never felt so comfortable and supported in a workplace'. Sounds like Nous is a great match for you. As you note, autonomy is not for everyone, so it's a beautiful thing when you find a workplace that is just right for you.

6. "Values best management consultancy"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Incredible exposure to experienced, senior principals - Operates with trust and autonomy - Wonderful learning curve across multiple projects from the get go - Culture is top notch and values are as genuine as they come

Cons

- Pay is a little low compared to other management consultancies

Nous Group2019-07-28

August 27, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for your contribution to Nous over the 5 to 7 years you worked with us, and for sharing your feedback on our genuine nature. Nous is not just about the pay - our purpose is to create positive influence through partnering with clients to improve people’s lives. We pay competitively but preference working on things we care about and that are important to the world. We are motivated by purpose rather than money.

"Lovely people but long hours"

Current Employee - Management Consultant

I have been working at Nous Group part-time

Pros

Great culture Interesting work Travel opportunities Self management

Cons

Long hours Leadership is not particularly invested in younger consultants

Nous Group2019-07-07

July 8, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We do have lovely people at Nous, which is part of what makes it a great workplace, along with the interesting work and the culture. Yes, there are long hours in management consulting, as we emphasise delivery of high quality work for our clients. We want to deliver positive influence and help our clients achieve the outcomes to do so. Nous is highly invested in younger consultants. We have a full suite of learning programs - from our week long induction program, to one day workshops and one hour quick learning sessions. Each Nouser has a performance coach; part of their role is to guide the performance and development of the Nouser and they invest time and effort in doing so. Finally, on projects, the project manager and team members are invested in the on the job development of consultants.

"The worst company HR is awful"

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Nous Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros are limited. There is some genuinely nice people at nous. They promise a lot.

Cons

The worst company I’ve ever worked for. People are so arrogant and treat others unprofessionally and frankly just mean: they have a ‘flat structure’ so people can be awful and in my experience and from what I hear from the amount of people leaving; people lie; manipulate; and self serve: HR in Sydney doesn’t understand the HR law in Australia. They knew certain issues were happening an actively chose to ignore.... I was advised my role was different than what I ended up doing and turned down other roles to pursue a role which never actually was what I agreed to work. These perspectives are shared across a lot of People there.

Advice to Management

Replace HR in Sydney Listen to your staff

Nous Group2019-07-21

July 24, 2019Chief People Officer

This is a surprising review and doesn't gel with other reviews, or the feedback we receive via our Great Place to Work survey results or directly from Nousers. The language and grammar in the review do not reflect the calibre of people at Nous, and in our Sydney office. Turnover is sitting at a healthy level around 15% - the amount of people leaving is normal for an organisation of 400 employees, and less than typical in consulting firms. I am sorry that your experience was not a positive one and I hope that you find a company that you enjoying working for.

"Lazy, smug, self-satisfied"

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of government work, lots of scope to slack off in the name of "self-management" and "culture".

Cons

Arrogant, self-satisfied, smug leadership. Defensive and conservative - no real growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

None - why would they listen?

Nous Group2019-06-13

June 17, 2019Chief People Officer

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Nous. Finding a work environment and role you enjoy is something I personally believe is important in life. I wish you all the best with your current role and future career, and hope you have found a company that provides a work environment and experience that you find rewarding .

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Can be high stress, self managed culture can be hard to get used to, can be locked into a particular industry

Advice to Management

Ensure on-boarding is appropriate, provide opportunities for staff to move into different industries and projects more easily.

Nous Group2019-01-15

January 22, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for reviewing Nous as a 'great company'. I am glad that you are enjoying the culture, including the flexibility and chance to work on a variety of projects. We are always striving to create opportunities to work on different projects and industries - if only it was an easy thing to achieve as often as we would like! And yes, it can be high stress at times as we dig deep to solve complex client problems. Ideally, it's productive stress which drives high performance and great client outcomes.

Found 46 reviews