Nous Group Reviews

Updated 17 Dec 2020

4.0
Nous Group Managing Director Tim Orton (no image)
Tim Orton
Pros
  • "Flexible working arrangements, available to people at all levels and in all roles(in 13 reviews)

• "Better work-life balance compared to other consulting firms(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "very little private sector exposure(in 5 reviews)

• "Self-management can be challenging but the rewards generally outweigh the costs(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Melbourne

I have been working at Nous Group full-time

Pros

culture, people, flexibility, autonomy, variety = great place to work

Cons

sometimes long hours which can be stressful

2. "Truly impactful work with a group of warm, friendly, and intelligent colleagues"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nous truly has a warm and nurturing culture. People are kind, and there are true standouts at the firm who go out of their way to invest in your learning and growth at the firm. - There are also plenty opportunities to be involved in very impactful work across Gov, Edu & NFP and other growing sectors like FS. - Nous' self management approach is also great for giving flexibility and optionality in the type and intensity of the work (within reason).

Cons

- Like any consulting job, the work may be more intense and you will work longer hours, but the exposure you get to senior leadership and learning and impact you can create along the way makes it all worth it. However, in my view Nous is also much more supportive of flexible working options than some comparable firms I've been at. - Cultural Diversity at the Senior Levels of the Firm (i.e. Principals) could be increased.

December 20, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your considered review. I also believe Nous has an incredible future ahead! As communicated at our recent Nous Days, in the next few months we will create and publish a formal EDI strategy, to extend beyond gender, sexual orientation and disability to cultural diversity. We are alert to increasing our cultural diversity, particularly at senior levels, but appreciate we have further to go.

3. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Nous Group full-time

Pros

Great work culture and senior management

Cons

Very niche industries(i.e. gov & nfp)

December 20, 2020Chief People Officer

Glad you enjoy the culture and the leadership of senior management. Nous works across 10 sectors, with the volume of work in those sectors driven by client need and market context across our locations. We do a lot of work in the public sector and with not for profits, due to the alignment with our positive influence purpose.

"Great first job, but some organisational issues"

Former Employee - Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues, stretch opportunities as a junior employee, very flexible work hours/WFH arrangements, some brilliant senior employees as mentors

Cons

Growing pains from swift expansion, high turnover of junior staff, expectation of long hours, very limited training, inconsistency of senior leadership on project teams

December 20, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. It's great that you have had the joy of working with great colleagues, benefited from stretch opportunities and flexibility. I imagine you will have developed quickly as a result, as well as enjoyed your experience. Nous runs a comprehensive induction program for all Noubies. In prior years this ran for 2 days for corporate employees and a week for consulting employees. This year we introduced an immersive induction program for graduates which ran for over 2 weeks and provided a solid grounding in core consulting skills. Our turnover is sitting at 10% year to date, lower than we expect and likely impacted by COVID. It's true you will work long hours, given the complexity of the work and our client driven culture. You will also enjoy flexibility, stretch, learning, intellectual stimulation and compassion.

5. "Do your research"

2.0
    Former Employee - Executive and Project Assistant in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met some truly wonderful and inspiring people who will always be part of my network

Cons

No opportunity for progression, calls a high workload a learning and development opportunity, inconsistent people management practices - there is a click and there has been a high turnover

December 20, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you met some great people who you will continue to include as part of your network. Good colleagues make a big difference. We do find it challenging to create a pathway for E&PAs, which we are honest about. We look for opportunities for our E&PAs to take on projects or responsibilities including organizing our bi-annual Nous Days or supporting a sector or practice lead. In October 2019 we formed the E&PA Network, led by one of our experienced E&PAs, to support the development of our E&PAs. The network lead also considers workload across the cohort. We recognise that our E&PAs do work hard, as do all Nousers. Working at pace and intensity is one of our cultural hallmarks - we bring a deep personal connection to the work we do, we work on complex problems and we think it helps us stay ahead of the game in a constantly changing environment. I appreciate this environment is not right for everyone.

6. "Getting Better"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nous' impact and influence are increasing. They now compete head-to-head with MBB firms for work in public policy, tertiary education, community services and not-for-profit sectors.

Cons

There are a few disappointing talent management practices.

October 27, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Positive influence is our key driver and integral to our work so I am pleased to see your comment regarding this continuing to increase. The greater our impact the greater the positive influence we can deliver. Sorry to hear that you experienced disappointing talent management practices. We are early in our formal talent management approach, with lots of activity that needs to be brought together into a clear, consistent strategy. I hope this will ensure our future talent management practices become a positive feature at Nous, rather than a disappointment.

7. "Lovely people, interesting work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Truly lovely, nurturing culture - Opportunity to do really interesting policy work

Cons

- can be quite political - a lot of organisational change/redesign work - more than I realised when I joined - very little private sector exposure

October 19, 2020Chief People Officer

We are very glad that you worked with us for more than three years. Thank you for sharing your views on the lovely people and interesting work - both essential ingredients for enjoying where you work and what you do.

"Awesome people solving interesting problems"

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People are very smart and interesting - Lots of room to pick your own path based on interests and strengths - Outstanding senior leadership - Extreme personal growth and learning - Higher ratio of senior staff relative to other firms. You directly work alongside Directors and Principals on a daily basis (see above) - Management consulting without the ethical dilemmas of working on things you don't believe in

Cons

- General cons of consulting. There are certainly more relaxing careers - Balancing utilisation, project margin, quality of work and work life balance can be difficult. Some Nousers seem to regularly underestimate effort which makes targetting high utilisation difficult.

September 7, 2020Chief People Officer

What an awesome review! Very glad to hear you are charting your own path and paving it with interesting and smart people. Sounds like a great adventure. There are definitely more relaxing careers than consulting, but they may not be as much fun or as rewarding.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Nous Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great workplace culture, strong leadership and focus on staff development.

Cons

The pay for staff below the Director level isn’t great.

July 21, 2020Chief People Officer

Always great to read reviews that recognise the culture, leadership and development at Nous. We value all these aspects and work hard on each of them to keep pushing ourselves to be the best we can be. With respect to salary we regularly conduct bench marking which tells us that we pay competitively in our chosen market. There will always be organisations and roles that pay more, with commensurate expectations. Nous is a place that attracts people who want to make a difference and work with clients and on projects with positive influence. This is what drives us.

"Supportive culture and impactful work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focus on positive impact projects, great social culture, leadership are predominantly accessible and supportive

Cons

Some subconscious preference towards extroverts in resourcing and promotions, not as established in practice or approach as larger top-tier consultancies

March 16, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and for acknowledging our culture and the positive influence we deliver through our projects. I hope we don't have sub-conscious bias towards more extroverted employees but your feedback is a good reminder to always be alert to unconscious bias. Our performance review process involves many people, in part to address the issue of potential bias. Calibration sessions bring together the views of office leads, resourcing, HR business partners, and the MD and CFO, to review and reflect on the feedback provided by colleagues. Many of our best performers are not extroverts - they are smart people who quietly deliver excellent work for our clients.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 English Reviews