O'Connor Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 15 January 2019

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Learning and making money can be fun"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Sydney
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Sydney

I have been working at O'Connor Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere
    Mentorship
    Incentives
    Great people
    Goal orientated business
    Learn something new and useful every day

Cons

Location in the city so no parking

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Thanks for teaching me so many things.

28 Feb 2019 – CEO

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review!

Delighted to hear such kind words. Glad you're enjoying your time with us - it makes all the hard work on our end worthwhile :)

- HR

"O'Connor Marketing: Unscrupulous and exploitive of backpackers"

Former Employee - Sales in Sydney

I worked at O'Connor Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity for growth if you work hard and stay at the company.

-Fun office atmosphere in mornings -- if you like loud music and very outgoing personalities.

-Will help you to become a better sales person if that is what you want to do in your career.

Cons

-Dishonest during hiring process.

-Will not hesitate to fire you -- at any point after your first day -- if you are not meeting sales targets, which are high. This is antithetical to how they say they will treat you during the hiring process.

-Make you pay for your own public transportation when you are required to go a long way on trains for the job.

-B2B marketing means walking around and going into random stores (anything from McDonald to law offices) and trying to convince the employees to give money to your campaign. And even if you do work on a charity campaign, OMC takes a 60-percent cut of what you raise and uses it to fund all-expenses-paid trips for top sales people, so it's hard to feel good about the work that you do.

If you are looking for a career in sales and/or already have some experience, you should work for OMC. If you are a backpacker looking to make money while you travel Australia, find work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring backpackers. You were dishonest about how cut-throat the process was. I have no doubt that you do turn some backpackers into good sales people. But that is the exception, not the rule. Your dozens of ads on backpacker job web pages make it seem as though this job is cut out for hard-working backpackers. It is not.

28 Feb 2019 – CEO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us.

Before we get started responding to this, and just so you're aware... More

"Account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at O'Connor Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Came into the job not knowing anything about sales and was given all the training and information I needed to get better
    - The opportunity for growth and criteria you need to hit to get promoted are clearly laid out for people when they start
    - The management team is extremely knowledgeable and effective at teaching people the things they need to know to help you move your own situation forward
    - The hours and days are flexible and the team goes out of their way to help you if you need it

Cons

I live out west and although the office is easy to find the traffic I get in the morning can sometimes be unbearable
    For everyone who wants to progress to a more senior management role has the opportunity to do so but to get there you need to put in hard work and effort to get there

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

28 Feb 2019 – CEO

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review!

Wow, that's so good to hear :) Pleased you cite the training and opportunity for growth as I'd say they're our key differentiators from other, larger sales and... More

"Scammed"

Former Employee - Sales in Sydney

Pros

No pros - it's a pyramid scheme but have to write twenty words

Cons

Pyramid scheme, scam young naive uni grads by selling the role as marketing associate or some such

Advice to Management

Unethical - legal loop hole to pay less than minimum wage

19 Oct 2018 – CEO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us.

For your information pyramid schemes are illegal activities - and... More

"Great learning experience, but unsustainable career long term"

Former Employee - Leader in Surry Hills
    Former Employee - Leader in Surry Hills

I worked at O'Connor Marketing part-time

Pros

- learn crucial sales skills
    - improve your efficiency and discipline
    - great for students who need to improve their skills

Cons

- slightly cult like culture
    - poor pay unless you are a god at sales (commission only)
    - long work hours and a lot of walking

Advice to Management

- be more honest and realistic with your employees

25 Oct 2018 – CEO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're sorry to hear that you had a somewhat negative experience with us.

We would contest the 'cult' like culture of sales, but if its... More

"Great Opportunity - Great Culture - Great People"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sydney

I worked at O'Connor Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great people focus culture that makes anyone feel special. The skills taught are transferable to just about anything. The opportunity for fast progression is the best I seen. A great place to start a sales career

Cons

Nothing, I learnt so much and have been able to use the skills in my future positions

25 Oct 2018 – CEO

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review.

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We really champion others to continue their professional development with O'Connor Marketing.

All the... More

"Not getting paid"

I worked at O'Connor Marketing full-time

Pros

They do trainings really well. And the environment is fun

Cons

They can fire you just like that without telling what was wrong plus whatever days you've worked they drag it on n not pay you I've been contacting since last 4 weeks now. Either they don't reply and if they do they lingers it on.

25 Oct 2018 – CEO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

All of our team are paid in a timely manner using the CRM system we have in place. Hope this helps.

We wish you the best of luck on... More

"Door to door sales rep!"

Former Employee - Door Too Door Sales Representative ! in Sydney
    Former Employee - Door Too Door Sales Representative ! in Sydney

Pros

Great social aspect! They are crazy nice to you right at the beginning!

Cons

Thankfully I was good at the sales so I managed to get about $14 an hour when I worked it out! 😂 The top sales rep makes maximum $19 when you take into account all of the training that you have to do (which is unpaid) then you have to come into the office for no reason every morning so that once your good enough you can train the next guy but oh wait do you get paid for this training? No! Haha joke of a company if you work here or have worked here get out now!

Advice to Management

I really think that you need to take a long look at your self in the mirror! What you are doing to people is going to come back and bite you one day!

25 Oct 2018 – CEO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We're sad, however, that you've chosen to leave us a defamatory one that portrays us in a very poor manner. While you are of course... More

"Entry level opportunity !"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at O'Connor Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

O'Connor Marketing was the first company to give me an opportunity in Recruitment, which is a role I had been trying to get into for such a long time, I feel very lucky to have been given an entry level position to learn as much as I can with a lot of area to progress within the company.
    All of the staff I work with are extremely positive always available to help and answer questions.

Cons

Although the office is easy to find and easy to get to, I live out west so I have to wake up rather early for a long commute.

Advice to Management

I think that all team members should receive sales training no matter what role they are in as I feel that was the biggest help, even for the role I am in!

"dont let them tell you otherwise, but its a scam"

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Sydney

Pros

friendly people, well at least on the surface

Cons

they dont tell you this but youre actually hired as a sub contractor and so you'll get paid less than minimum award. you'll also work long hours to travel to their target areas for which you arent compensated for at all..

Scams are illegal. We're an established business in Sydney and have... More