Oliver James Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 3 Dec 2019

4.6
Oliver James Associates CEO James Rogers
James Rogers
Pros
  • "The people at Oliver James are the best thing about the company(in 46 reviews)

• "Social events bring the whole of OJ together which is great(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but that is recruitment(in 64 reviews)

• "Most of the frustrations around working hours / flexibility have been addressed(in 29 reviews)

1. "Unhealthy workenvironment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

- You will get a lot of money if you manage to work here for quite some time like I did. After years you will be able to live like a king. - Nice dinners and parties. - Clear carreerpath.

Cons

Unhealthy workenvironment, due to: - Unhealthy working hours, even if you hit your targets. You begin at 08:15 (officially 08:30) and work untill 18:00. However, even if you do great, it's an unspoken rule that you can't leave 'early', which means at 18:00, often. If you do this like twice a week, your director/manager/colleague will say something about this. I think most consultants work around 50-60+ hours a week.... The first few weeks they will be easy on you but then you have to work like you have no life. Only a few people support you in working 'normal' hours. When I worked there only 1 consultant went home at 18:00 every day. - People are overworked. Sickness is not appreciated or tolerated. - Friday drinks could be nice. Many colleagues hooked up with each other, or kissed, but it's not uncommon that certain colleagues will try to touch you even if you don't want it. Also, indirect violence has happened before. They won't do anything about this or the people who show this kind of behavior.

Advice to Management

After years of working here, and at other recruitmentagencies I can honestly say that I would not recommend this company as an employer although it treats the clients pretty good. Be more flexible with working hours, don't close your eyes to employees who harras other colleagues and make them feel horrible.

Oliver James Associates2019-12-03
  2. "Great business"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Singapore

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Fun company to work for with leading position as insurance recruitment firm. Great incentives. Supportive leadership team

Cons

Head office control a lot of finance/ hr processes and are slow. A lot of sickness means the office can be quiet a lot of the time.

Advice to Management

Smooth out back office processes and work on attendance levels, otherwise keep up the excellent work

Oliver James Associates2019-11-12

"Good working environment if you are competitive"

Former Employee - Researcher in Manchester, England

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good salary and benefits (including bonus) in case performance is excellent. Great summer and Christmas parties (never seen them anywhere else). Very good training team, that trains you at the beginning of your contract but also during your working life at OJ.

Cons

Very stressful and competitive environment. Very demanding atmosphere and long working hours.

Advice to Management

Care more about how each person feels.

Oliver James Associates2019-11-11
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

- Lunchtime gym sessions - Decent industry hours - Decent commission structure - Good senior management team - Great summer/Christmas parties

Cons

- Very KPI heavy - Some old school attitudes (but these are changing)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Oliver James Associates2019-10-07

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Activities for the employees each month. Constant training sessions friendly coworkers opportunity to advance

Cons

Not being able to work from home 2-3 days a week.

Advice to Management

Let us work from home 2-3 days

Oliver James Associates2019-10-08

"The world is your oyster"

Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a graduate, choosing my first role and employer was important to me. I was particularly attracted to Oliver James Associates due to its people first and foremost, the business’s values and ethos, the growth plans and the prestige of the firm. I joined in 2015 as an Associate Consultant and through hard work, being part of a successful team in Manchester and with the support of the leadership team was promoted... through the ranks year on year to Manager, having been given lots of opportunity including to build and grow my own desk and even move to New York! The business is meritocratic and truly lives by its values of being the most trusted recruitment firm globally. I have enjoyed working closely with and learning from the leadership team and being part of the leadership team consequently myself where my ideas were listened to and implemented. I couldn’t recommend a better business to a budding recruiter seeking to progress and develop his or her career. I left the business a couple of weeks ago and this was down to relocation and to try something different; I was able to do this through the doors opened to me by being part of the OJA family for nearly 5 years. Finally, the OJA has a great L&D team (as well as a vibrant social atmosphere and company events!) and a good commission structure rewarding hard work.

Cons

No major disadvantages to note - constant hard work is expected, so if you are lacking commitment, then it’s not the place for you!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and maintain transparency across all levels.

Oliver James Associates2019-09-17
  7. "A great place to work with all the tools needed to succeed"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The business has a winning working culture and promotes strong work ethics. Work is fast paced and there is a huge support system to help you develop. You should join if you are; money motivated, want to specialise enjoy working in an environment that caters to your bill-making needs.

Cons

I think it's a very good place to work - the system could use upgrading?!

Advice to Management

Keep going, perhaps have more screens in the office to show live deals or promote more cross-team integration

Oliver James Associates2019-09-10

"Hard work, stressful but fun."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The right teams and markets will make you alot of money. The company pays for alot of events and socials. Good management at the higher levels.

Cons

Middle management micro manage you and are KPI obsessed. Long hours.

Oliver James Associates2019-09-16
  9. "Ambitious, Engaging and Fun workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are good at what they do, and that is the sort of environment I want to be in where I can learn and develop from the best. A company doesn't have a global presence without hard work, and skill, so it is great to be a part of it . You are pushed to be better, and take ownership for the future of your career! Alongside the skills you learn here, there is a lot of fun to be had. Everyone gets along well,... we have Friday drinks every week, summer trips to Miami and Cancun for everyone. Finally for top performers there is a quarterly celebration where you are wined and dined on the company to celebrate!

Cons

Nothing great came from not having to work hard, and that is it. If you don't want to work hard and smart you probably won't enjoy the 8-6 hours. Every job has its downside, and ours is that you work outside the "normal" 9-5 but the extra couple of hours are paid back in $$, parties, and opportunity!

Advice to Management

Keep it going, we have already had a great year so far, and looking forward to continued success with you guys!

Oliver James Associates2019-08-29
  10. "Supportive managers and fast paced environment"

Former Employee - Deliver Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Fantastic company to begin a career with, managers on and across-other teams always willing to help - learned a tremendous amount of communication, sales and people skills and always felt welcomed

Cons

Some structural changes in team were a bit tricky at times but Director was incredibly supportive and helpful during the transition

Oliver James Associates2019-08-28