Olympus Australia and New Zealand Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Notting Hill
    Current Employee - Consultant in Notting Hill

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people
    Great product
    Embracing of change
    Innovative
    Passionate
    Supportive

Cons

Some of the systems need upgrading as they are a bit archaic

Advice to Management

Love your work!

14 Jan 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments. We’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our fantastic people and products... More

"A company building momentum brick by brick"

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SLT cares about the success of the business, even if it means making difficult calls... terrific recent additions to this team

Flexibility for those working on the road

Internal A project should long term reap rewards has galvanised parts of the business...

Offices, new NSW office is a nice space

Quality of people in the business. Filled with generally very friendly helpful people which has created a warm culture

Flexible working arrangements, particularly if you have a family at home

Discounts on product, reward and recognition is strong and various training is regularly rolled out even if it is less accessible for those outside of Melbourne (head office)

Cons

The business has incurred significant change recently with a significant internal project being implemented as well changes to multiple other departments. This has polarised some and created instability which needs to rectified.

Internal systems still need development, technological issues can become very troublesome.

14 Jan 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments, we’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We take great pride in the number of talented Olympus staff who go above and beyond... More

"I’ve grown along with the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Olympus is a well respected global brand but one which has grown organically in the Australian and New Zealand regions, going direct in these markets just over 20 years ago. This has meant the company has experienced strong year on year growth, easily withstood the GFC (with no redundancies) and in my experience has lead to strong job security and the ability to grow with the company (as it has grown).

Cons

Organic growth often means systems and processes are regularly playing catch up as is modern job design. In recent years these areas have been a focus & whilst the company is not entirely there yet, there is a night and day improvement from when I first started with the organisation over a decade ago.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people, systems & the customer experience. Also consider some “out-of-the-box” strategies, perhaps along the lines of local acquisitions, taking the occasional risk and bringing products to market faster to take our growth profile to the next level.

14 Jan 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your comments, we’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee and its great you feel that you’ve grown your career along with the company. We can also agree... More

4. "Good Managing Director with vision,.. HR not so"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The MD is a good operator, he has a vision and he is trying to pull the company along on that journey.
    The company globally and domestically is reinforcing the right areas as needed (such as Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs).
    Olympus Australia/New Zealand is not afraid to change.
    Facing obstacles they are looking for opportunity in the adversity.
    Some really good people.
    Increasingly becoming a truly global company.
    Good opportunities to grow if you take the initiative.

Cons

HR
    Lot's of staff have left

14 Jan 2019 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It sounds like overall, your experience during your time at Olympus was a mostly positive one.

As you eluded to, we don’t shy away from change for... More

"Toxic culture and HR too much power"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Melbourne

Pros

Some great products, good work life balance and fantastic middle managers and staff

Cons

Toxic culture and poor engagement.
    Terrible senior management who says one thing and does another.
    Promotions based on favouritism and people who talk a good talk.
    Company run by HR who know nothing about the business or products.
    Can’t deliver projects on time and on budget.
    Terrible wastage.
    High turnover of staff.
    Low accountability because product sells itself.

Advice to Management

No point as they only listen to HR. Wouldn’t recommend working here unless you become a favourite or aligned with HR.

14 Jan 2019 – Olympus Communications

We’re concerned by your feedback and the multiple incorrect data points that you’ve referenced in your review. As an example, for some time now our attrition rate has sat below industry standard and... More

"Good people but no opportunity"

Pros

The people are (generally) fantastic. It's a relaxed workplace without being unprofessional. There's a lot of flexibility and the ability to work from home if you need. Purchased leave is available which is a good benefit to those needing school holidays off. The newly announced strategies to move forward have the right idea. Generally not a bad place to work, but room for a lot of improvement.

Cons

There is a severe lack of career development. The HR team have been telling us that formalised career paths are going to be implemented for at least the past two years, but where are they? People are constantly punished by having to pick up the slack from other underperforming staff. You provide feedback about these issues constantly and nothing is ever done - instead, you are given their tasks! There doesn't appear to be any consequences for underperformance even though they're directly impacting our ability to deliver to our customers. Huge staff turnover. There only appears to be opportunities in the sales/marketing and HR space - very few promotions in other departments. Olympus seem to prefer to hire externally rather than develop internally. Projects are rarely successful - they're always delayed, improperly executed and this causes issues later on.

Advice to Management

You need to develop people even during the difficult times when all you want to do is focus on fixing the problems at hand - ultimately this will increase the capability of the business and you'll be better equipped to leap forward when the problems are gone. You need to have more formalised career paths and when someone expresses their career aspirations you should be taking this seriously. You must remove the people who are bringing the company down. This could go back to being a great place to work if you realise that you have capable and willing staff who WANT to grow within the business.

28 May 2018 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for leaving such comprehensive feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to highlight our fantastic people, our everyday workplace culture and increasing levels of workplace... More

7. "A great place to make a contribution"

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people: skilled, intelligent people work at Olympus, many of whom are extremely passionate about the company, the products and the impact Olympus products can have in people's lives, from capturing everyday moments on cameras, to saving someone's life with medical devices, to assisting with groundbreaking research with microscopes. Employees at Olympus are generally very knowledgeable in what they do. There's an immense amount of talented and experienced people. In addition, everyone I've come across is friendly, which contributes to a welcoming workplace vibe.
    - Opportunities: you might not immediately get the next step you're looking for, but there are definitely opportunities for career growth and development, particularly if you're proactive in seeking it. There are numerous success stories of people who have successfully changed roles, transferred departments/job functions or have gained a promotion. There's also opportunities to contribute to cross functional teams and projects.
    - Well recognised, strong brand in the market.
    - Good business tools: ranging from hardware and software to business applications.

Cons

- Speed of growth: this can be both a pro and con. Because of the quick pace of growth particularly over the last 5 years, systems and processes need more time to catch up. But this also means there are many opportunities to make improvements in different areas. Systems and process improvements are currently still a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your people, and being well-intentioned and authentic in the way you work.

16 Apr 2018 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive comments and level of detailed feedback. We’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee.

We’re extremely proud of our talented workforce and... More

"Could have been so much better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Notting Hill
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Notting Hill

I worked at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reputable brand in medical industry, high quality products, modern offices in Australia, friendly staff, free onsite parking, end of year celebrations for staff

Cons

Senior management appear to lack credibility and don’t come across as a cohesive and united group, secrecy and withholding of knowledge is rife around the office, there is a rigid hierarchy that all staff must conform to, long working hours

Advice to Management

Don’t be afraid to make decisions and be bold, trust your people to make the right decisions

16 Apr 2018 – Olympus Communications

Thank you for your review and we’re sorry your experience wasn’t a good one. It's great to hear that you saw our products, facilities, staff and staff benefits as positives; these are all areas of... More

9. "Premium products and great people to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Pros

Truly outstanding products that are well respected within the market.
    Great people to work with, making it a fun and enjoyable environment to come to everyday.
    Company direction is clear and regularly communicated at our monthly Town Hall updates.

Cons

Whilst our systems have progressed over the last year or two, we still have some inefficiencies with our infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people, and keep up the great communication.

20 Dec 2017 – Olympus Communications

As you’ve pointed out, it’s a constant source of pride for our employees to... More

"Great People, Product and Leadership"

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time

Pros

Strong Managers who are people oriented
    Terrific life/industry changing product
    No cowboys/girls in the office great culture/people
    Strong performance
    Increasingly flexible work arrangements
    Heart in the right place

Cons

Slowly coming out of the stone age with various systems and processes
    Various inefficiencies