Olympus Australia and New Zealand Reviews

Updated 18 Jan 2021

4.3
Olympus Australia and New Zealand Managing Director James Bowe (no image)
James Bowe
Pros
  • "Great products you can be proud of(in 15 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, making it a fun and enjoyable environment to come to everyday(in 9 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Continuously changing for the better"

Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time

Pros

I've been with Olympus for a few years now and over the course of my career, I have seen Olympus take a huge step forward in-terms of their culture and brand. During the pandemic, the company embraced change and demonstrated genuine care to their staff. I love the environment, my colleagues, and there is a sense of fulfilment being in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Rapid change can be hard to digest. Its sometimes unclear as to why the change is occurring but overall, I have no doubt that the company is headed towards the right direction.

Continue reading
  2. "Highly stressful as technician"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technician in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

High Targets and nearly impossible set of time for particular jobs

3. COVID-19

"This place has really shone during the pandemic"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a long-term Olympus employee who has chosen to remain loyal and believed in our brand, products and people, it's great to see just how well the organisation has prioritised it's customers and employees during the pandemic, providing comprehensive, flexible and ongoing available customer support whilst ensuring no employee lost their job as a direct result of the the COVID-19 virus. The certainty this has created in a period of mass uncertainty for my family and I is much appreciated but also speaks to the honourable stance undertaken by the organisation, which has made me feel proud of choosing to remain and develop my career at Olympus. Thank you.

Cons

Given the positive tone of my post, I am struggling to find genuine recent cons which detract from my experience. I feel myself and many of my colleagues would agree that the organisation has really come a long way in the last 2-3 years, sure it's not perfect, but there's an ongoing body of work and consistent incremental improvements being made to all facets of the employee and customer experience, which means I won't be listing any cons today!

November 23, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review and congratulations on such a long tenure. Our ability to provide job security for our staff during the COVID-19 pandemic is something our entire organisation is both extremely grateful and proud of, so we are glad this stance has particularly resonated with you. We hope you continue to enjoy your career at Olympus!

4. "Good local team culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many innovative initiatives undertaken on a local level.

Cons

Little to no coordination in R&D and marketing between regions globally

December 21, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and congratulations on your significant tenure at Olympus. As you pointed out, our dedicated Business Transformation program is delivering positive and innovative changes as we strive to never be the cause of our customers’ downtime. However, we acknowledge that our journey of continuous improvement is ongoing and there is much more left to deliver upon. In addition, as our global transformation initiatives begin to flow through, we anticipate this will lead to many global scale improvements, such as better coordination in a variety of areas, including research and development, and marketing. We hope you continue to enjoy your career at Olympus!

"Significant Improvement"

Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WFH encouraged Supportive management (in my experience) Plenty of work on SLT/MD extremely visible...weekly Vlogs Proactive with some initiatives like CI, Mental Health I feel very protective and proud of the brand. Almost like its a big family, all in it together type thing...

Cons

Some areas of the business are constantly under pressure, like IT/SC whilst others appear lighter on. Seems to be an imbalance at times that can cause bottlenecks.

September 7, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review. You have certainly reeled off a list of some great elements which form part of our organisation which we really appreciate. In recent years, we have utilised data and analytics in more meaningful ways to give our leaders a better and timelier organisational snapshot of workloads and performance. We acknowledge we haven’t perfected our operational structure, but we’re constantly evolving our operational model and hope we can better balance workload throughout the organisation in the near-to-medium term. Finally, timely and meaningful forms of communication from our leaders has also been a key focus and it’s great to see this resonate with staff. Thanks again!

6. COVID-19

"Olympus is the 'best kept secret' in the Medical Device sector. Definitely an employer of choice."

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time

Pros

Company culture. They really are aligned to their company values: Integrity, Empathy, Long-Term View, Agility, and Unity Futuristic mindset of leaders Product quality is first in class, across all business units Appetite for change and becoming a better company for employees and they way deliver on customer expectations 'Can do' company attitude.

Cons

The products are premium quality, and best in class. So they can tend to be on the more expensive side. So, selling on clinical benefit is essential, which can be a challenge when dealing with cheaper lower quality competitors.

September 14, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our evolving culture, our wonderful people, and premium product offering as we seek to establish ourselves as a truly global MedTech company. Whilst the pandemic was an unexpected occurrence, our determination to provide job security for our staff during this period of uncertainty is something our entire organisation is both extremely grateful and proud of. We are confident this experience will place us in a position of strength, providing a platform to capitalise on our learnings and enabling us to come out a stronger organisation once we get to the other side. Thanks again!

7. COVID-19

"Keeping me and my family safe through Covid!"

Current Employee - Business Transformation Consultant in Notting Hill

Pros

Flexibility to work from home and a supportive team and manager who allows me to work around my family commitments. Never questioning my work ethic or my availability, which has been extremely valuable with a young family during the COVID-19 pandemic. Assisting with mental health workshops and checking in on peoples well being has been managed really well. Keeping us up to date financially on where our business is at and steps they will take to make sure our jobs are secure, has left me feeling really valued and reassured.

Cons

We are a changing culture and we are not quite there yet. We have limitations in some systems which can be frustrating.

July 26, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive and detailed review. It’s great to hear our commitment to flexible work and striking an appropriate work-life balance, coupled with a great team environment and manager, has provided you with such a positive experience. In addition, our ability to provide job security for our staff during the COVID-19 pandemic is something our entire organisation is both extremely grateful and proud of. We firmly believe that timely communication forms a key part of successfully overcoming this unprecedented period. As you pointed out, there is rapid and positive change occurring and key to our approach to the ongoing improvement of our systems is to embed a continuous improvement culture. We have come a long way and are confident we will achieve sustainable gains that ultimately improve both the customer and employee experience. Thanks again. We’re proud you’re part of team Olympus too!

8. COVID-19

"Great products and even better people!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing people. World-leading products with strong market share. Great culture. Healthy business that's managed to withstand the COVID pandemic. Flexible working conditions. Strong commitment to continuous improvement.

Cons

Systems and processes need improving but they're working on it.

June 28, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review. There’s really not much more we can add! We’re really proud of how we’ve been able to sustain our business and our staff’s employment through the COVID-19 pandemic and as you may be aware, the pandemic has helped showcase just how far our systems and processes have come as the majority of our workforce has successfully worked remotely. However, we acknowledge there is still significant room for improvement. As you pointed out, we’re working on it and by embedding a continuous improvement culture, we’re confident we’ll get there. We hope you continue enjoying your time at Olympus!

9. "A role that provides me daily satisfaction coupled with actual work / life balance"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work / Life balance: Was full time, and returned from maternity leave in a part time role with flexibility to work from home. My managers and co-workers have my back and encourage me to make decisions without fear of repercussions. Olympus recently introduced Dress for Your Day, which has made coming into work more enjoyable. From my experience, a simple change in attire seems to have made a positive impact to the work environment; more friendly, cohesive and happy.

Cons

Can't think of anything from my end specifically.

September 19, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review! We’re pleased to hear that you had a positive experience in transitioning from full time to part time work post returning from your maternity leave. Supporting our staff through significant family events is an ongoing and evolving area of opportunity for our organisation, so we take encouragement from your feedback. It’s also great to hear that you’ve found the dress for your day initiative to have been particularly impactful. Part of delivering on our vision for our staff to “Choose Olympus for Life” involves continuously improving our workplace offering, with workplace flexibility options including working from home, flexible work hours, dress for your day and purchased leave, playing a significant role in making Olympus a great place to work. Finally, thank you for also sharing your experience within your specific team. Having a great team culture and dynamic is vital to helping achieve our vision, as is a constant funnel of employee recognition. Whether it be formal via channels such as our online Shining Stars platform or our quarterly and annual awards programs, or simply telling a colleague informally they’ve done a great job, providing timely recognition is a practice we encourage our staff to regularly review and undertake.

10. "Events coordinator"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and good ethics

Cons

Interview process was running very slow

September 10, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review and we hope you have a fulfilling career at Olympus! We take pride in looking for opportunities to continuously raise our ethical standards and given your relatively short tenure with our organisation, are encouraged that you’ve taken note of this. Regarding your interview experience, we will feed this back to our recruitment team for their review and learning.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 60 English Reviews