Olympus Australia and New Zealand Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2020

4.3
Olympus Australia and New Zealand Managing Director James Bowe (no image)
James Bowe
  1. COVID-19

"Keeping me and my family safe through Covid!"

Current Employee - Business Transformation Consultant in Notting Hill

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility to work from home and a supportive team and manager who allows me to work around my family commitments. Never questioning my work ethic or my availability, which has been extremely valuable with a young family during the COVID-19 pandemic. Assisting with mental health workshops and checking in on peoples well being has been managed really well. Keeping us up to date financially on where our business is at and steps they will take to make sure our jobs are secure, has left me feeling really valued and reassured.

Cons

We are a changing culture and we are not quite there yet. We have limitations in some systems which can be frustrating.

July 26, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive and detailed review. It’s great to hear our commitment to flexible work and striking an appropriate work-life balance, coupled with a great team environment and manager, has provided you with such a positive experience. In addition, our ability to provide job security for our staff during the COVID-19 pandemic is something our entire organisation is both extremely grateful and proud of. We firmly believe that timely communication forms a key part of successfully overcoming this unprecedented period. As you pointed out, there is rapid and positive change occurring and key to our approach to the ongoing improvement of our systems is to embed a continuous improvement culture. We have come a long way and are confident we will achieve sustainable gains that ultimately improve both the customer and employee experience. Thanks again. We’re proud you’re part of team Olympus too!

2. COVID-19

"Great products and even better people!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing people. World-leading products with strong market share. Great culture. Healthy business that's managed to withstand the COVID pandemic. Flexible working conditions. Strong commitment to continuous improvement.

Cons

Systems and processes need improving but they're working on it.

June 28, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review. There’s really not much more we can add! We’re really proud of how we’ve been able to sustain our business and our staff’s employment through the COVID-19 pandemic and as you may be aware, the pandemic has helped showcase just how far our systems and processes have come as the majority of our workforce has successfully worked remotely. However, we acknowledge there is still significant room for improvement. As you pointed out, we’re working on it and by embedding a continuous improvement culture, we’re confident we’ll get there. We hope you continue enjoying your time at Olympus!

3. "This place keeps evolving for the good and it's working!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Notting Hill

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked here for a number of years and in particular within the last 2-3 years, there's no denying the organisation is making a concentrated effort to improve the employee experience, something which was well overdue and necessary to complement a high quality product offering. I also really enjoy that this global organisation has a community feel and is based 20 minutes outside the city meaning if you live in Melbourne's South East, the commute is favourable and beats taking a train every morning to the CBD.

Cons

The cons are starting to diminish. Every company has them, but in the case of Olympus Australia and New Zealand, senior management is actively trying to improve weaknesses by listening to feedback, and gradually evolving the organisation into one that is able to better serve its customers and staff.

February 6, 2020Olympus Communications

It’s great to see you’ve been at Olympus for some time, and we’re appreciative of you finding a moment to leave a review too! As we work towards our goal of being a truly global MedTech company, we anticipate our staff will be able to connect more with the greater Olympus community across shores, complementing the local community feel you touched upon which serves as a source of pride for our organisation. We’re certainly evolving and find ourselves approximately halfway in our three-year business transformation program. To date, we’ve seen some great results from the program as we strive to never be the cause of our customers’ downtime. However, we acknowledge that our journey of continuous improvement is ongoing and there’s much more left to deliver on to ensure we’re able to better serve our customers and staff. It’s great you’re enjoying your time here and have a short commute, we hope you continue to have a fulfilling work-life at Olympus!

4. "Really homely workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Pros

Family like culture Flexible work arrangements and casual dress Great pay Nice offices Sales oriented but no cowboys or cowgirls

Cons

A couple of bottlenecks which are frustrating but they are on the agenda to be fixed which is good

January 19, 2020Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review! We’ve grown rapidly in Australia and New Zealand over the more than two decades we’ve been operating as a wholly owned subsidiary of Olympus Corporation, and despite this period of large growth, it’s wonderful to hear that you’ve experienced a family-like culture during your time here. We’ve had similar feedback from other staff over the years, and it’s certainly feedback which makes us proud. Part of delivering on our vision for our staff to “Choose Olympus for Life” involves continuously improving our workplace offering, with workplace flexibility options including working from home, flexible work hours, dress for your day, community service leave, purchased leave and summer leave, playing a significant role in making Olympus a great place to work. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying some of these initiatives! We’ve also updated three of our corporate offices in recent years with another two offices scheduled to be updated in the short-to-medium term. Finally, as you touched upon regarding bottlenecks present within our business, our dedicated Business Transformation program is continuing to deliver significant positive changes in this space as we strive to never be the cause of our customers’ downtime, and we’ve seen some fantastic outcomes to date. However, we acknowledge that our journey of continuous improvement is ongoing and there’s much more left to deliver on.

5. "A role that provides me daily satisfaction coupled with actual work / life balance"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Melbourne

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work / Life balance: Was full time, and returned from maternity leave in a part time role with flexibility to work from home. My managers and co-workers have my back and encourage me to make decisions without fear of repercussions. Olympus recently introduced Dress for Your Day, which has made coming into work more enjoyable. From my experience, a simple change in attire seems to have made a positive impact to the work environment; more friendly, cohesive and happy.

Cons

Can't think of anything from my end specifically.

September 19, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review! We’re pleased to hear that you had a positive experience in transitioning from full time to part time work post returning from your maternity leave. Supporting our staff through significant family events is an ongoing and evolving area of opportunity for our organisation, so we take encouragement from your feedback. It’s also great to hear that you’ve found the dress for your day initiative to have been particularly impactful. Part of delivering on our vision for our staff to “Choose Olympus for Life” involves continuously improving our workplace offering, with workplace flexibility options including working from home, flexible work hours, dress for your day and purchased leave, playing a significant role in making Olympus a great place to work. Finally, thank you for also sharing your experience within your specific team. Having a great team culture and dynamic is vital to helping achieve our vision, as is a constant funnel of employee recognition. Whether it be formal via channels such as our online Shining Stars platform or our quarterly and annual awards programs, or simply telling a colleague informally they’ve done a great job, providing timely recognition is a practice we encourage our staff to regularly review and undertake.

6. "Events coordinator"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and good ethics

Cons

Interview process was running very slow

September 10, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review and we hope you have a fulfilling career at Olympus! We take pride in looking for opportunities to continuously raise our ethical standards and given your relatively short tenure with our organisation, are encouraged that you’ve taken note of this. Regarding your interview experience, we will feed this back to our recruitment team for their review and learning.

"I've had and continue to have an amazing career at Olympus!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Melbourne

Pros

I have had a wonderful career with Olympus. Management genuinely cares and not only have I had development opportunities (including overseas trips) there are also great employee benefits including flexible work practices, dress for your day, corporate social responsibility and work from home.

Cons

I can't think of any.

September 10, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive review and congratulations on a long and successful tenure within Olympus! It’s great to hear about the opportunities you’ve been afforded in our organisation and that you’ve enjoyed the employee benefits on offer whilst taking pride in our corporate social responsibility efforts. Providing our staff with career and development opportunities is an ongoing and major focus area for us, and no doubt you would’ve noticed that we’ve had many internal transfers and promotions over the past 18-24 months. We hope you enjoyed your overseas business trips and found them valuable!

"Olympus a Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Olympus Australia and New Zealand full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility and Work Life Balance eg Work from Home Policy and Dress for your day Great technology & products. Products are always innovative and of the highest standard. Can always have confidence in products you are selling Team Environment: A strong team environment, huge importance is placed on a teams working together. For example, the medical structure encourages various BU's to work together and people genuinely enjoy working with each other A growing company with big focus on career development, great opportunities for career development

Cons

Olympus traditionally has been a Japanese company operating in a global market. Olympus is developing and changing and trying to become an international company in a global market. It is a work in progress

September 10, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your review. Part of delivering on our vision for our staff to “Choose Olympus for Life” involves continuously improving our workplace offering, with workplace flexibility options including working from home, flexible work hours, dress for your day and purchased leave, playing a significant role in making Olympus a great place to work. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying some of these initiatives! Representing great products is no doubt hallmark of our organisation, however, whilst we have a longstanding tradition of product innovation and excellence, without great people we wouldn’t be able to come close to maximising the potential of our product offering, so we’re encouraged by your feedback around the strong team dynamic you’ve found present within our organisation. We recognise career development is an important pillar of any employee/employer relationship and this remains a key ongoing focus for our organisation. We’re constantly looking at ways to ensure our employees have access to tools, programs and ultimately, opportunities to unlock and maximise their career development with Olympus, and are pleased with the growing amount of internal career opportunities our staff have been afforded over the past 18-24 months. Finally, we’re genuinely excited by the transformational journey currently being undertaken at a global level that will bring scale and efficiencies to improve our everyday work and our customer’s experience. Whilst we agree it’s a work in progress, we feel it’s fair to say that the future is bright.

"Amazing people and work that changes lives!"

Current Employee - Corporate in Melbourne

Pros

- AMAZING PEOPLE! It's why I stay - I work with talented, supportive people - Flexibility - ability to work from home, flexible timings to suit my needs, great work/ life balance - Career development - I've been very lucky to have had varies opportunities to learn and grow. From projects, to new roles, I have always been encouraged to make any opportunity my own - Purpose - my work has a direct positive influence to the world around me

Cons

- We've grown so rapidly but our mentalities need some catching up - change still scares people in the organisation - We need to be more agile - this is difficult for global organisations of course, but there is ways we can achieve this locally - Technology - we have a real gap to becoming more technologically savvy internally

May 20, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for your positive and detailed review, it’s really encouraging to see this sort of feedback from a current employee. Your feedback around our wonderful staff is an area we love to highlight as whilst we represent great products, without great people we wouldn’t be able to come close to maximising the potential of our product offering. Part of delivering on our vision for our staff to “Choose Olympus for Life” involves continuously improving our workplace offering, with workplace flexibility including working from home, flexible work hours and purchased leave playing a significant contribution in making Olympus a great place to work. Regarding career opportunities and development, this remains an ongoing and critical focus for us. No doubt you would’ve noticed that we’ve had many internal transfers and promotions in the past 12 months. It’s both inspiring and motivating for our staff to see their colleagues who have worked hard continue to develop their skills and build on their capability, being able to take the next step in their career within our organisation. Finally, we’re pleased to also see you mention the notion of becoming more agile as an organisation. You may be aware that “Agility” now forms one of our global core values and is a value which we’ve committed to embedding within the organisation over the short-to-medium term. We feel that in time, as we become more agile, the barriers we face internally around adapting to change with speed will start to break down as we gradually transition to a new way of working.

"Great place to work"

5.0

Pros

I’ve worked at Olympus for a little while now and I am genuinely happy here. My immediate team are fantastic and I have great relationships with people across the organisations. During my time I’ve had some great opportunities to develop and have also advanced my career. I’ve had to work hard but I believe if you are driven and motivated you can really develop. I know I’m not the only that has experienced this either, there are always announcements coming out sharing career changes for individuals. The opportunities are here you just have to work for them. As an organisation we do some pretty great things and are a part of something pretty special really. I don’t think all organisations can say that. This is one of the reasons I stay, I want to be a part of something good and contribute to my community. I really like our Senior Leaders, they seem pretty approachable and seem to genuinely care about their teams. It would be great to see a bit more of them though. I don’t usually like to comment about others but reading some of the reviews on this site, I am really surprised by the way some people have depicted this organisation so negatively, particularly some of the support functions. I think I have been here long enough to have a realistic view and I think we are a pretty good organisation to work for. It just makes me wonder why people choose to stay if they are so unhappy.

Cons

With all that said, we certainly aren’t perfect and we have things to work on, but I don’t think we would be alone here. There is a fair bit of change going on at the moment which can be a bit unsettling. It would be great to perhaps have a bit more communication about it. As others have mentioned, the systems and processes are a bit behind and they cause a bit of pain. There has been a lot of work done recently around this and I think we will start to see some really good changes soon.

May 20, 2019Olympus Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic and detailed review, we’re really pleased to see this sort of feedback from a current employee. You’ve provided some great feedback around your team’s culture and our people in general, and as you’re no doubt well aware of, we’ve been on a journey to improve our workplace culture over many years so it’s great to see you experience some of the rewards of that effort. We also appreciate your insight into career opportunities at Olympus. Whilst we don’t always have positions vacant, we’ve had many internal transfers and promotions in the past 12 and we are always looking for ways to provide career and professional development to our people. Your feedback regarding increased communication regarding the internal change processes has been noted and will be forwarded to the relevant business leaders. Thanks for your candor. Finally, we are seeing some fantastic outcomes from the continuous improvements we’ve made to our systems and processes over the years with our dedicated Business Transformation program continuing to deliver significant positive change across a number of areas. We anticipate our transformation program will really start delivering large scale outcomes throughout the next 12-18 months.

Found 56 reviews