Olympus Corporation of the Americas Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
Olympus Corporation of the Americas President and CEO Nacho Abia
Nacho Abia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This organization values employees and shares a healthy work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits package, flexible work hours (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours / not great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Poor upper management, most roles are temp to perm, no initiatives to receive a perm position, doesn't seem like there is opportunity for advancement (in 22 reviews)

1. "Good but crazy travel"

Pros

Money and Teamwork were good

Cons

Travel was too much too often

Advice to Management

Less hectic travel schedule

2. "Working for Olympus Surgical Technologies America in Brooklyn Park, MN"

Former Employee - Buyer in Brooklyn Park, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Brooklyn Park, MN (US)

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working for Gyrus ACMI dba Olympus Surgical Technologies America in Brooklyn Park, MN for close to 12 years. Excellent company to work for. This organization values employees and shares a healthy work-life balance. I would recommend Olympus Surgical Technologies America to anyone who is looking for an excellent Medical Device organization in the Greater Twin Cities are.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Olympus Surgical Technologies America.

Advice to Management

NA

3. "HR Manager"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

International exposure, Good technology reputation. I have no other observations

Cons

cultural differences and limited decision making. limited growth opportunities. HR opportunities not extended to Latin America. I have no other observation

4. "Good to work in olympus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA (US)

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work environment, facilities and benefits

Cons

nothing to say, once you will be hired then you will automatically know

"Temp to Perm"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Waltham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, great engineering and design departments, great benefits (once permanently employed), great facility with lots of amenities.

Cons

Poor upper management, most roles are temp to perm, no initiatives to receive a perm position, doesn't seem like there is opportunity for advancement. Poor commute if you live anywhere outside the city.

Advice to Management

Direct hire salary employees. Hire "leaders" not "bosses".

"No hope of getting better"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waltham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its a steady paycheck, not much else.

Cons

Management and HR are on the eternal quest to cut pay and benefits while increasing productivity with a management team that has little product/market knowledge. I have seen HR protect bad managers who have harassed employees to make them quit rather than terminating them by making their lives "difficult". Not sure who is worse, management or Human Resources. The funny part is that HR pays employees to post positive reviews on this site so that the ratings don't go into the toilet. Waltham is the worst place to work, dumpy office, horrible management and a rotating door for employees who realize that Olympus is evil. Just reading about the lawsuits will give you an idea of the corruption, and dark evil nature of this company, management and HR.

Advice to Management

I hope that all of you pray for forgiveness for the pain you have caused families, especially Human Resources, you should be ashamed for allowing your company to inflict pain on people who have dutifully served Olympus for years.

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Response

25 Apr 2018 – Human Resources

We sincerely regret that you were dissatisfied with the working environment at Olympus. Employee satisfaction is extremely important to us, and despite your individual experience, we truly do work... More

7. "Olympus America Review"

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

Good benefits package, flexible work hours

Cons

No control over software acquired by various divisions. Upper management is never held responsible for large scale mistakes.

Advice to Management

Hold management responsible for their mistakes.

"Horrible place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA (US)

Pros

The pay and benefits are consistent with the market.

Cons

The culture is horrible. Employees do not trust management or the company and rightly so. To help adjust internal perceptions of lack of trust and lack of integrity, the company rolled out an internal branding campaign call "True to Life". Should be "True to Lie". I am frequently belittled, undermined, demoralized and treated poorly by people in all levels of the organization, including management and others. The work-life balance is non-existent for me. Taking time "off" is a joke.
     People will not leave you alone when you are out of the office. And management promotes that behavior. While there are good people working there, there are a lot of inconsiderate and back-stabbing individuals who ruin the workplace experience, and are allowed to do so without repercussions. Since I do not have the opportunity to respond to any comments the company may put here in response to my comments, I simply request that they not respond at all. I've gone to my management. I've gone to HR. It's simply horrible. Can't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

Promote a culture of mutual respect for every person and every role. It starts with you.

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Response

30 Mar 2018 – Human Resources

We understand that you asked Olympus not to respond, however, we wanted you to be aware that your review has been read by our HR management team. We sincerely regret that you are dissatisfied with... More

9. "Olympus Corporation of the Americas"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Technology, Benefits and training.

Cons

Management seems to change direction too often and often times has reps selling the same products into the same accounts

Advice to Management

Allow the TM's to do so. Provide smaller territories and let the capital rep sell capital and allow the other divisions to sell their devices/disposables.

"Sales"

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time

Pros

great health care, 401k, most people easy to work with

Cons

currently in restructuring mode and systematically getting rid of experienced people. New leaders from outside have history of increasing bottom line at expense of the employees. New leaders being hired with little to no experience, other then who they know.

Advice to Management

On a bad path to loose many good people who were successful