Onfido Reviews

Updated 20 Jun 2020

4.3
Onfido CEO, CoFounder   Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai

"Ok company, struggles with technical debt and poor management at some levels"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is fun and has a really interesting product For the most part engineering leadership is great Good benefits (including meals and socials) Product is gaining traction and solves a genuine need

Cons

Company struggles with technical debt at all levels and there are some questionable projects led by bad but over priced engineers that are costing the company a lot of money. Upper engineering management is great but middle management is generally poor, with some managers stuck in their ways and unable to adapt. Some bad hires where made and have not been rectified.

"Great company! Good people! Exciting product!"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Onfido pre-series A with less than 20 of us on the floor, and left with the company hosting more than 300 employees in several parts of the world - seeing all of that and the opportunities that came with it along the way was nothing short of amazing. I was given a runway to build a team, the opportunity to take on challenging projects and several opportunities to help shape my career - I owe a great deal to Onfido! For me, the pros are that Onfido has a very exciting product solving a big problem, a network of amazing clients, a super inspiring workforce to learn from and grow with, and a huge number of great benefits that I was certainly able to enjoy - especially flexible working allowing for a great work-life balance.

Cons

As with any start-up, you don't always have all the resources you require so you need to be creative and versatile - this makes Onfido a place to get your hands dirty and build! As the company has grown and the different organisations in the business take shape, sometimes procedures and the need for sign-off come at the expense of efficiency - a difficult balance to strike! Onfido has a truly amazing culture and this is sometimes taken for granted, however, newer leaders don't always mirror the same energy that built Onfido to what it is now - typical growing pain but I know we'll get it right in due course.

August 1, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, thanks for this detailed review. Glad you could join us for the journey from 20 -> 300, and hope you grew as much as we did during it. Noted on new leaders. We're working hard to ensure our recruitment process is as thorough as it always has been and we never slip into just filling roles for the sake of it. And thank you for the feedback on senior team comms. As you say, we need to do even more to gather input from the team before making a decision, and then communicating decisions out effectively. Hope you're enjoying your new role wherever you are!

"Great vision and product"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has been a really great experience so far. The onboarding was intense but very valuable. You get to meet fellow Newfidos and instantly have some friends in every department. Onfido really makes sure you get to know the entire business including a Q&A session with the founders. Made me feel very comfortable from Day 1. The culture is great and the leadership team do a good job to make sure it is maintained. Not easy for such a fast growing company. Benefits include flexible working, mental health coaching, fully stocked kitchen with fresh food pretty much every day. Lot's of opportunities to learn and develop, such Onfido university. Everyone is super friendly and approachable, including C and VP level. Last but not least, the product is second to none and our clients love it. Made the right choice.

Cons

Onfido is a fast growing start-up. You have to take your own initiative sometimes to get answers and help, however everyone is happy to take time for you. You will have to put some hard work in for time to time, but you will see the results.

August 2, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review!

"Love it"

Current Employee - Designer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time

Pros

Welcoming people, feeling of belonging Lots of training and growth opportunities Strong focus on career advancement Amazing benefits Feel supported You are trusted to do your job, no micromanaging Flexible hours Interesting product and discussions around the ethics of what Onfido does Flat structure Socialising is actively encouraged Feel respected as an individual You can have bad days and it is ok Wellbeing is in focus: mental health sessions, subsidised gym membership, tons of healthy food provided, people check in on you to make sure you're not struggling with the workload Amazing talent in the organisation and pleasant personalities - you can learn lots

Cons

New business that grows rapidly - can lack in structure at times, but people are working on it.

August 1, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review! I loved "you can have bad days and it is ok"—it's a nice way to frame the supportive culture we've tried hard to build here :)

"The company is failing financially, cannot retain employees, and the product is way behind market."

1.0

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some decent well meaning people being forced to stay silent on issues and challenges.

Cons

The positive reviews on glassdoor are all written by the COO and executed by he and the "People" team which are the most ruthless of all. The COO is more concerned with grammar than revenue and truly believes is he ALWAYS the smartest person in the room despite never having had a real job. The CEO is an ostrich with his head in the sand, only concerned about his public image, and too much of a wimp to lead a company or deal with conflict. The CRO is an arrogant snake, and the CFO is a chauvinistic dinosaur who does not even know what SAAS is. Unfortunately there is no hope for this company to succeed with this so called leadership team.

Continue reading

"Fast growth and lots of opportunities"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customers love the product. Opportunities for progression. Supportive and collegiate environment Transparent decision making at the top-level Good company benefits Good bonuses if you hit targets

Cons

Need to have better communication between sales and account management teams as sometimes they create a whole lot of work/promises we can't deliver on. Existing structures are under pressure from the very strong growth company is going under

June 16, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the great review!

"Bad leadership, bias and mistrust leads to exodus."

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product and services are good.

Cons

There are massive problems in Marketing and Sales. They have been through endless leadership and there is no end in site. The company is structured into two main regions, US and UK. This is where the problem begins. Despite promoting a strong company culture, these two sides cannot get along. Instead of working together, there's a power struggle. Management in the US seems to change every minute. Have the right person in and it's a great place. Get someone bad and your life just turned upside down. But here's the problem, HoD's are completely disconnected with what is happening in the market and with staff. They encourage you to speak up, but if it's something they don't want to hear, you'll get fired or will be forced out. The problem rises when new senior decision makers fire or force good employees out, only to be let go or quit within three to twelve months. It's terrible and goes against the culture they preach. It's failure in employee retention at its best. On average this company loses 3-5 good employees for every bad Management hire. As for UK, it's a mixed bag. Some great teams exist while others continue to have internal struggles. The bad teams are led by leaders which favour employees. These ill equip, non-inspirational leaders are simply 'yes' people. When leaders hire outside vendors to teach their craft, it should be a red flag. Teams act happy, but it's a facade. If you don't play along and you'll be blacklisted. Come anywhere close to exposing weakness in leadership and consider yourself gone. This has created complete distrust. Employees will tell you "Be careful on who you trust and what you say. People watch you". Believe them. Chats, emails, surveys, private consulting, communication tools, all monitored in some way. It's easy to find out who may have said something what when they get reports. You signed up, they mine the general feedback, you become a target. It's a virus and methodology that reaches all the way to HR. Really sad for all the money spent on culture. There are offices overseas, but these roles are given to people who are not qualified, do not know the region or do not possess the experience. They survive because the market is so unfamiliar. Overall expectations on revenue are unrealistic and can only be equated to overpromising to investors. This has created numerous pressure cookers that have exploded time and time again. It's unrealistic, just like their ever changing compensation plan which is based on Finance reporting instead of deal closing. Stock options are non-existent unless you consider anything below 1000 shares profit sharing.

"A very special startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Onfido is a very special startup: - we are trying to solve a foundational problem in the online world - we are doing it with a great approach and tons of enthusiasm - we are an incredibly diverse and talented team.

Cons

Being the problem to solve very challenging and the team, on average, young, Onfido's journey is not always smooth. But which true adventure is always smooth?

June 5, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the kind feedback! It's definitely a rollercoaster journey :)

"Company that cares"

Current Employee - Researcher in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Onfido really cares about employee experience and talent retention. To achieve that they offer very flexible working hours / working from home policy, learning and development opportunities. Your path to progress within the company is also very clear. Most importantly, the people are work with are great. I've not worked in any other company where I didn't encounter any communication issues / personality clashes etc. Your managers and colleagues are there to help and look out for you, always open to discussion. Great vibes, there are basically no blocks stopping you from doing your best work.

Cons

As the company's growing rapidly, the office is getting crowded. There's plenty of company events that sometimes take up a chunk of your time. I believe those problems will be eventually resolved.

May 30, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thank you for the positive feedback! Feels great knowing that we're giving you an enjoyable career experience. We'll keep expanding the office space as we grow too :)

"Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time

Pros

I don't normally write reviews but saw the spate of negative reviews from recently fired salespeople in the San Francisco office and although I don't like speaking about individuals I felt I had to speak up I've worked in a few sales orgs and Onfido is pretty routine . The top performers make a lot of money and the bottom performers are asked to leave I think Onfido's mistake was hiring too many junior salesfolk who might have been shocked at the way sales works in a company with high growth targets Most of us more senior folk are used to it

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary at a sales org. There's a grind but if you work hard you make a lot of money. If you're lazy you don't. For US team, communicating can be hard with HQ in England but the management are working on this. San Francisco feels the pain more than NYC due to time difference.

May 25, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, I really appreciate you taking the time to offer a candid and sobering review like this. It was a shame we had to let go of a few people in the US team, but we have a good strategy to move forward and we're confident we're in a stronger place now.

Found 118 reviews