Onfido Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 2 Jan 2019

Onfido CEO, CoFounder   Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai

"Promising Tech Company With Good Culture"

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since joining I've been very impressed with the company's overall strategy and the way they execute on an ambitious business plan. The leadership seems to be focused on tackling a really important and interesting problem, namely online verification in the digital age, and I think that the way they are going about solving this problem is exactly the right way. This makes me very optimistic about the Onfido's future. From an employee perspective the company is a nice place to work. The people are friendly and welcoming, they offer a flexible working environment and the work-life balance is good. They also make a really strong effort to foster a good company moral and they do a great job at keeping everyone informed on the company-wide initiatives and the direction the business is going in. The company also seems to be attracting some seriously talented people on the tech side and elsewhere which is exciting!

Cons

- Technical debt is surprisingly high for a young company and the developer processes are not super agile which means productivity is low. - Non-salary benefits are a little superficial, for example the medical package they have is billed as a substitute to private medical insurance, but it's not really anything close in terms of value. - Lack of diversity in tech team, particularly in terms of gender. This is kind of an industry-wide problem though so somewhat understandable, although still regrettable. - The engineering team is still in "ship product above all else" mode which works well in startups aiming to prove product-market fit, but quickly leads to systemic issues in larger more mature engineering teams. There needs to be more focus on building a stable, scalable infrastructure if we are to provide the level of service expected in enterprise software and ensure continuing, steady productivity from engineers. - Not much investment in improving the skills/abilities of the engineering team. - Focus on "on premise" services. This is ostensibly for security/privacy reasons but I don't really buy that rationale.

January 29, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, thanks so much for a detailed and candid review. To address your specific points: 1. Debt and agility - definitely areas we can always improve on - noted! 2. We set a company-wide goal to tackle a lack of diversity in tech and currently have 23% of tech roles filled by women (increase from 11% at the start of 2018). We’re hoping to have even better representation this year through our community work and the Onfido Network programme. 3. The balance between shipping new features, rapid growth and building for future stability is the hardest tightrope to walk in startup life. We definitely need to keep thinking about the future 5+ years from now to build resilient and scalable technology products; I hope Morgan’s recent all-hands helped show how seriously we take getting this balance right and what we’re aiming to change in 2019 4. Please send me an email about this as it sounds like you’d be interested in some of the exciting programmes on offer via Onfido Network and Onfido University. We love to learn and share here :) 5. We take data security and privacy very seriously; we also strive to meet regulatory & compliance standards, across several markets, and the expectations of our customers, both large and small. Because of those standards and expectations, we need to exercise substantial care when choosing to work with services that will manage Onfido or customer data. However, we definitely want to be flexible and make rational choices with regard to risk and total ownership cost, rather than always defaulting to “run it ourselves”. Hope that helps! Happy to talk in person if you want to go into more detail anywhere. Eamon

"More talk than tech"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time

Pros

Convenient work from home, easy to get days off.

Cons

No serious career progression, salaries are based on whatever cofounders think is best. There are not enough capable engineers to deal with legacy code.

December 27, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hi there - sorry to hear you weren't pleased with your time here. We're really proud of our flexible working policy which encourages and promotes diversity - whether that's working from home to look after a sick family member or adjusting your working hours to pick up the kids. Or just to get your head down and do some focused work. Thank you for the feedback on salaries. To give you more insight into how it works, salaries are set by team leads by placing team members along our career development ladders which have salaries attached to each level. The salaries at each level are decided by an independent third party consultant who uses paid-for and peer collected market data. With a team of world-class individuals, it's a fact that everyone can find a higher salary elsewhere if they look for it, but our promise is that you won't be able to find a better all-round employee experience, of which package is just one part. Wherever you've moved onto, I hope you're enjoying your time there :)

"Great place to learn and connect with like minded people"

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, very talented people, a pool table and lots of little perks here and there that makes day to day more interesting

Cons

Sometimes under too much pressure, but thats startup life. Also a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy to get things done, which amount to more pressure when not done.

January 1, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hey, glad to hear about the learning and connection opportunities! Noted re bureaucracy - I'll keep an eye out for this.

"Smart and inspiring people, fantastic challenges"

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Culture: three words to describe the culture at Onfido are inclusivity, openness and transparency. I am not afraid of giving honest feedback or asking questions, even to co-founders. Everyone is very helpful and will try to help the best they can. * You can be part of something and contribute from day one. Improvements are always welcome and everyone encourages you to think creatively and find better ways of solving problems. * Interesting tech stalk containing many new technologies. Company is constantly investing in new technology. * Challenges! You will not be assigned tasks but given problems to solve. Sometimes it will put you out of your comfort zone but you will learn a lot. At the same time you can always rely on your colleagues and ask for help. I can see myself growing as a professional.

Cons

* Office can be a bit noisy sometimes

May 28, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the detailed review. Inclusivity, Openness and Transparency are things we're proud of here. I hope we addressed your noise concerns with the move to the new office.

"Smart people & roles where you can actually have impact"

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart people - Your role will actually have impact - Interesting technology - Genuine dedication to helping employees improve - Great bias to minimise pointless meetings, and focusing on doing actual work

Cons

- Small(ish) company means you may be the only (or one of the only) people with your specific skillset. This is good for impact, but in terms of throwing ideas off of people with your niche, you may struggle - Office is a tad poky (toilet number is frustrating)

May 28, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Glad to hear you're a fan of our meeting minimisation policy. I hope we addressed your office concerns with the move to our brand new space. And noted re the point about specialists with niche knowledge. This should be tackled in the next 12 months as we hire more specialists.

"Great people-oriented company"

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

The greatest thing about Onfido is focus on the people. Having such a diverse but coherent team of people is definitely the most valuable attribute of the company. Transparency: Co-Founders try really hard to provide honest transparency to the company by publicly answering open questions and giving updates on successes and things that haven't gone so well. This really makes you feel that you are an important part of it. Work culture: At work, you are not pushed, you have the freedom to do your best and let people give feedback on your solutions. I personally find it the most stressless job by far. Work/life balance: Very flexible, working 7 hours a day plus an hour for a lunch - perfect to always find time for your daily duties! Also nobody will make you stay after hours - unless you do. Technology: Company is investing in latest technology. If you have your own ideas, you are more than welcome to do research on them, share your finding and get feedback and help from the team. Worth to mention there's also a very strong Research team working on sophisticated machine learning solutions. Management: Recently hired key people on high levels to help drive the company in the right direction. That shows the start-up is taking the game seriously while growing up. Career and salaries: There's a clear process regarding career ladder and salaries. Learn and do your best and you will see the fruits of your work. Sum up: If stressless work environment and people you work with are the most important values to you then Onfido is the choice.

Cons

Nothing serious but communication between marketing/sales and engineering teams could be improved.

April 2, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the detailed review and so glad to hear you value our transparency and career ladders. We'll keep working on communication between functions.

"Onfido is a great company"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Onfido for more than a year

Pros

Onfido is one of the best companies I have worked with. It is a fast growing startup in UK. The team is very smart. Founders know why are doing.

Cons

Nothing can be mentioned here.

January 30, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for your review! So glad that you're enjoying your time in our engineering team, we're very proud of what we're building :)

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews