Onfido Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 25 Oct 2018

4.4
Onfido CEO, CoFounder   Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai
Pros
  • "Work/life balance, Sanctus mental health coaching, great colleagues, great opportunities to learn, good office(in 12 reviews)

• "Benefits include flexible working, mental health coaching, fully stocked kitchen with fresh food pretty much every day(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "fast growing so if you don't like that you may be better suited to a larger company which is more steady(in 6 reviews)

• "Vague career progression path in most engineering roles(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews

"More talk than tech"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time

Pros

Convenient work from home, easy to get days off.

Cons

No serious career progression, salaries are based on whatever cofounders think is best. There are not enough capable engineers to deal with legacy code.

December 27, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hi there - sorry to hear you weren't pleased with your time here. We're really proud of our flexible working policy which encourages and promotes diversity - whether that's working from home to look after a sick family member or adjusting your working hours to pick up the kids. Or just to get your head down and do some focused work. Thank you for the feedback on salaries. To give you more insight into how it works, salaries are set by team leads by placing team members along our career development ladders which have salaries attached to each level. The salaries at each level are decided by an independent third party consultant who uses paid-for and peer collected market data. With a team of world-class individuals, it's a fact that everyone can find a higher salary elsewhere if they look for it, but our promise is that you won't be able to find a better all-round employee experience, of which package is just one part. Wherever you've moved onto, I hope you're enjoying your time there :)

"One of the best tech companies to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fantastic culture with very friendly, smart and open-minded people - Transparent and flexible (great work-life balance, work from home policy etc.) - Challenging and exciting work with global impact from day one. Full autonomy and trust - Lots of team/company socials and drinks every Friday - Great perks (free snacks/drinks, fitness, language classes, pool, stock options etc.)

Cons

- Average pay with no bonuses - Vague career progression path in most engineering roles - Poor diversity in engineering team

May 28, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the detailed review. It's a shame to hear you feel career progression is vague here. Last year we launched a fully built out set of career ladders - I would encourage you to speak with your Team Lead in your next 1:1 to discuss where you currently sit on the career ladder and what future path you want to take (And how we can help you navigate that path).

"Glamorous on the outside, concerns on the inside"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees are vibrant, down to earth people Free Snacks and Drink Company Socials Access to excellent working space away from our workstations Pool table

Cons

Having looked through other reviews, I agree with incredibly honest nature of what has been told. Onfido is a young company which prides itself on being the next big innovation. From the beginning of the hiring process to the exit interview, the team are consistently being told about how we are 'The best and brightest and being hired here shows how special we truly are' The honest truth of the matter is that whilst the majority of the hires are those who are incredibly well educated, we as operators (Specifically in the Customer Success/Operations team) are often undermined with laborious and mind numbing data entry that could be completed by someone who has simply completed their A-Levels. Role and Career Progression: The role is advertised as a position where you will operate as an operations team member, before cutting out your own niche within the company, whether it be via team progression or via cross placement (Operations to HR for example). However, only those who meet specific requirements are truly able to move. So what are the specific requirements? It is not hard work or great ideas that get you moved. No, it is one of the following things: - Threaten to leave the company after being frustrated in your current role - Being best friends with one of the hiring managers (This is prevalent in Customer Success especially) - Constantly blaming others for issues that occur so that not only are you 'Helping the SMT fix issues' but also by whistleblowing, you are seen as 'Team First'. That also leads to the hilarious notion of a 'flat hierarchy', which apparently existed back when there were 50-60 people but now it is anything but. Yes, you can raise questions and have your opinions taken into consideration, but they consistently are not taken into consideration due to some in the SMT believing that if they did not come up with it, then it is not a good idea. Salary: This then leads to salary. £20k is ridiculously low within London for someone who is meant to be the 'cream of the crop'. Other firms offer far better packages, but Onfido's hiring team are brilliant at putting up smoke and mirrors with items such as Share Options, gym memberships (Which the majority of us never used), great career progression and a consistent iteration on 'You will be recognised for the work you do'. Team: The people that work at Onfido are fantastic and vibrant people, but there are of course some issues. There is constant whistleblowing at Onfido. The majority of issues that occur are often brought on by simple problems, but people tend to overblow it and don't want to take responsibility for the issues they created, often blaming someone else in the team or another team entirely. This is understandable considering most of us it was our first job out of university and so we were not mature enough to take responsibility and have to take the 'Not mad, just disappointed' speech you would often get from Line Managers. There are certain people in the team who were willing to step up to the plate and help fix these key issues but covering for some team members too long created a 'They will never learn if they do not fail' situation, which led to a decrease in efficiency. Also, seeing engineers often being paid the most in the company by far, and then playing quite a few games of pool a day (There are a few real offenders here and I counted one team member play around 8 games in a day), followed by social chats and lengthy lunchbreaks, it is a real surprise that the platform is functioning. Senior Management Team: The C-Level guys are all excellent in their fields they are focussed on, and I honestly do not envy their responsibilities. However, the level below tends to get a bit murky. Often alot of those in positions of power are somehow unequipped to handle it appropriately and often panic in times of true adversity. I am of course only referring to those who I was on a day-to-day basis with but Senior Team members in our team were often fairly arrogant and had a problem when it came to not getting their way. Often times you would see us making suggestions on improvements and it would fall flat and would be completely disregarded simply because they believed they were superior. Culture: This section is honestly dependent on your personality. Onfido prides itself on its culture and it is based on very valid ideas. However, it is done in the most patronising and childish way possible. As one of the other reviews noted, Onfido uses animals as ways of expressing these qualities, such as pride in your work and working together. This is meant to make you work in the team members favour, with team managers saying 'Be more penguiny' when you are not contributing in the way you should be. Honestly, the worst part about it was the weekly 'Shout-Outs' that it would lead to. Often, these shout-outs were just hollow ego boosters. It got particularly bad when some employees were getting shout outs for 'Cleaning up the dishes in the kitchen', 'Making a great suggestion in a meeting' and the worst being 'For working hard in your job'. For some that works, but for myself and countless others, it is childish and often given to those who complain the most to make them feel happier about working here. Relationships within Onfido: This is the worst part. If you are a normal Joe Bloggs applying for a role, expect to go through rigorous (and often unnecessary) testing to prove your worth. However, if you are close with a Senior Team Member, then expect to coast through and be put at the top of the list. In customer success, alot of us grind each day to help the candidates we are working on, with the hope that we are able to progress into different areas of the business. However, nepotism has a real grip on Onfido, and certain team members are given preferential treatment and a fast track to more lucrative and powerful positions. Also, they are often given higher salaries and often do not take their responsibilities well, meaning they can coast and gain credit whilst others do the dirty work.

January 30, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hi there, It’s Eamon here, thanks for your detailed and direct review. It’s disappointing to see that things didn’t work out for you at Onfido, although I’m grateful for the acknowledgement that Onfido’s team, socials and work environment were all things that you enjoyed during your time with us. I understand your point about career progression, especially as I can see from your review that you worked in Service Delivery, and left Onfido around a year and a half ago. The truth is that you’re right; during 2016, we hired the wrong profile of person for our SD roles and, as the product matured and internal SD work became more routine, we didn’t recognise that fast enough and change our hiring practices accordingly. Happily, that was something we had an open - if difficult - internal discussion about. Things are now very different; our internal Service Delivery Team no longer do any of the manual work you describe, instead focusing on more challenging tasks like training and managing partnerships. On your point about the Team, I can again understand where you’re coming from. In 2016, we were a company staffed in the main by graduates - and we were all finding our feet together. I can believe that some of the frank conversation that needed to happen came across as ‘whistleblowing’, and we’ve since had two company behavioural OKRs - one about giving feedback, and one about taking responsibility (known internally as ‘reflections’). Things still aren’t perfect, but we’re working hard on them. I agree with you that your response to Onfido’s culture is dependent on your personality - and acknowledge that, for you, the animal symbols and shout out system came across as patronising. The intention of the symbols is to create a shared shorthand, so we can quickly refer to much more complex ideas with a few simple words. Shout outs are designed to provide recognition. Of course, I nevertheless hear that this just didn’t work for you; the lesson here, as with role-fit, is for our recruitment team and hiring managers to learn. We should have done a better job at helping both sides identify that this wasn’t going to be a good fit for you. Finally, to your point about relationships at Onfido, I can confirm that everybody goes through a highly structured interview process. For each role, we identify key competencies and a framework via which we’re going to test and evaluate those competencies. Nobody is hired unless they have shone at interview. It sounds from your review that you left a little while ago, I hope you've found a great new role somewhere.

"Only if negative stars existed"

1.0
    Customer Success Associate in London, England

I worked at Onfido for less than a year

Pros

Free Breakfast Pool table Half price gym Free yoga and gym classes Good location Nice colleagues

Cons

Pay: Marginally more than the dole. Marginally. To be precise, the company pays the equivalent of £9.61 an hour, assuming that lunches are unpaid. Whether my lunch hour was paid for by the company or not, has not been explicitly mentioned in my contract of employment. Therefore including my lunch hour, I was being paid £8.55 an hour, 85p less than the London Living Wage of £9.40. When the role was advertised and in my contract, it was stated that the pay would be £20,000 per annum without clearly stating the working hours would be between 40-45 hours a week. The base pay for this role has actually gone down to £18,000 per annum with the same 40-45 hour week, reducing the pay including lunches to £8.65/hour and excluding lunches to £7.69/hour (the national minimum wage is £7.20). Just a disclaimer, these calculations are based on pre-tax wages and I am not an economist or an accountant. But the pay is terrible. Role: Boring, dull, repetitive. Lots of passports. Thoughts on company: Read other reviews. Good idea, co-founders lack professionalism and expertise. Everyone is underpaid, overworked and fed up- great atmosphere (hope you get sarcasm). There are a lot of shortcuts in the way they operate and that is alarming for a company that deals with sensitive personal information and interacts with high-end clients and government departments. Career progression: In all honesty, mostly no one knows what they are doing and have little to no experience in the background checking industry- it is a terrible place to start your career. I went into this role thinking this was a graduate role. With graduates, many have very little office experience. They need to be nurtured and given a proper support network. But also to be taught to take constructive criticism as a means of improving one’s self instead of acting rashly out of emotion. The lack of professionalism and blame culture at Onfido could impair an individual’s capacity to form healthy professional relationships with future colleagues if that is the only way they have been shown to behave in frictional and difficult situations in a work environment. Expectation of the role: When being interviewed for the role I was told that 80% of the checks were automated whilst it is probably fair to say that it is more 10% of the checks are automated. So we the Customer Support Associates were affectively providing the service. If the hiring managers were more up front about the role, I probably would have taken the role but with a more realistic expectation of the role. I knew working in a start-up was a risk, but I expected to have more of a voice in trying to help improve the product and the company than I did. Being critical or stating the problems was frowned upon. Management would rather stick their heads in the sand and hope the problem will blow over. They preferred a cowardly ‘solutions first’ approach to resolving problems: So you say what the problem is and then state a solution the problem at the same instance. Which means that problems were not prioritised accordingly and that many solutions were quickly implemented without properly discussing the pros and cons of the solution. However, a fair few were attracted to this role as they felt it would give them an insight to how a start-up works. As stated previously, the co-founders have very little experience themselves. They too are learning how a start up works, as well as everyone else in the company. It is an education: Just a very disorganised, chaotic educational journey. Should you apply? Although I have mentioned a lot of negative things about working here, a lot of these issues have been acknowledged and hopefully are being worked on by the company. But I do doubt their ability to rectify these problems. This is mainly because of their in ability to take on criticism and to reflect on their weaknesses; and their solutions first approach to problem solving. It’s not a bad “go between” if you need a stable job until you find what you want; the people are nice, friendly and genuinely a good laugh. But this is probably not going to be your big break. It is easier to stay motivated if you have a career plan. If you are unsure what path (professionally or personally) you want to take, you may be better off working in a more structured environment. Lastly, STOP DOING ONFRIDAYS AND FIRESIDE CHATS! They are as patronising and engaging as school assemblies.

January 30, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hi there, It’s Eamon here, thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear that your time at Onfido didn’t work out. That said, I’m glad that you think there are some things we are doing right - we’re very proud of the people we employ, and like you we think they’re a fantastic bunch! We also work hard on employee wellbeing; the attention we give to things like gym, yoga and office socials is very deliberate and designed to support people as whole humans. We’ve actually introduced even more of these sorts of benefits since you left - for example, we’re very proud of our collaboration with Sanctus (https://sanctus.io/). On your point about salaries, Onfido spends significant time assessing its employees’ basic pay and making adjustments where necessary and appropriate. However we also spend significant resource on things like benefits, learning and development, company socials and wellbeing initiatives like Sanctus. All Onfido employees are also shareholders, so basic salaries are not the only measure of compensation that we use. In short, Onfido will never be the highest nor the lowest paying company, but we do invest significant effort in ensuring that we’re in touch with the market - and that we’re applying that market data fairly. I understand your points about career progression and role description, especially in Service Delivery in 2016. If I may, I’m going to cut and paste from another response - so apologies if it sounds familiar! I understand your point about career progression, especially as I can see from your review that you worked in Service Delivery, and left Onfido around a year and a half ago. The truth is that you’re right; during 2016, we hired the wrong profile of person for our SD roles and, as the product matured and internal SD work became more routine, we didn’t recognise that fast enough and change our hiring practices accordingly. Happily, that was something we had an open - if difficult - internal discussion about. Things are now very different; our internal Service Delivery Team no longer do any of the manual work you describe, instead focusing on more challenging tasks like training and managing partnerships. Finally, to your point that my cofounders and I are inexperienced; as yougn founders, that’s somewhat inevitable. As a result, though, we're hungry to learn - whether from business books you mention, from our network of investors and advisors, from the Onfido Team or from our Exec Coach that we meet at least weekly. In addition, we've made a very conscious decision in the last 18 months to hire some seriously experienced people - including our VP Sales, CRO and CPO, to supplement our own knowledge and ensure the leadership team has the balance it needs. I hope that you’ve now found a role that you’re thoroughly enjoying, and thanks again for the time that you took to share your experience.

"Don't work in Operations"

1.0
    Operations Associate in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Onfido

Pros

Snacks Socials Great colleagues Short, easy interview process

Cons

Misleading job description Mundane, repetitive work Little to no career progression The job role is entirely misleading - expect to be opening envelopes and doing data entry for at least half a year when you start. You do not need a university degree to perform this role, as the job profile requires - in fact, you barely need A Levels as another review has stated. GCSEs would do. Compensation is extremely poor, both for the sector and especially for London. £20000 simply does not cut it for most graduates from top universities, as are currently employed at the company. The socials and snacks are nice but this should be a supplement to a competitive salary, not a replacement. Share options are also framed as being lucrative and attractive but I saw absolutely nothing of these during my time there. The discontent is not confined to Operations either but this is definitely where it seems to be most concentrated - and this comes back to the poor compensation and fundamental nature of the role. It is little wonder turnover rate in the team is as high as it is - management have been informed but their response has been less than overwhelming. The company cannot function without the Operations team, yet it is the most neglected division. Change your job profile, don't recruit promising graduates into data entry roles, and start looking for the lower-skilled labour you actually need.

January 30, 2018Cofounder & COO

Hi there, It’s Eamon here, thanks for the review. I’m sorry to hear that your experience of working in Operations was such a poor one - it brings me no pleasure to hear it, although I’m glad that the team and Onfido’s socials were things you could enjoy whilst you were here. I understand your point about career progression, especially as I can see from your review that you worked in Service Delivery, and left Onfido around a year and a half ago. The truth is that you’re right; during 2016, we hired the wrong profile of person for our SD roles and, as the product matured and internal SD work became more routine, we didn’t recognise that fast enough and change our hiring practices accordingly. Happily, that was something we had an open - if difficult - internal discussion about. Things are now very different; our internal Service Delivery Team no longer do any of the manual work you describe, instead focusing on more challenging tasks like training and managing partnerships. On your point about salaries, Onfido spends significant time assessing its employees’ basic pay and making adjustments where necessary and appropriate. However, at Onfido, we also spend significant resource on things like benefits, learning and development, company socials and wellbeing initiatives like Sanctus. All Onfido employees are also shareholders, so basic salaries are not the only measure of compensation that we use. In short, Onfido will probably never be the highest nor the lowest paying company, but we do invest significant effort in ensuring that we’re in touch with the market - and that we’re applying that market data fairly. I hope that you’ve found a role which you love since leaving Onfido, and thank you for taking the time to leave this review.

"Caring company with a positive working environment"

5.0

I have been working at Onfido full-time

Pros

I think the company in general, and the managers/CEOs specifically, really try hard to make Onfido a nice place to work and a place that cares about its employees. Overall I'd say they are successful in this goal. The internal culture really can't be faulted, everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful, the day to day atmosphere is relaxed and informal, and if you ever have a problem, there are numerous people you can turn to for help. The company is growing fast, which of course comes with teething problems, so whether Onfido is the right place for you is really depended on your own career-stage and ambitions. Hopefully one would figure this out during the interview process, but if you do have a certain ambition that your current role isn't satisfying, all you need to do is tell the right people and they work hard to find a solutions/create opportunities for you within the company. In addition: - Lots of free food, gym membership, language classes, shares, lots of fun social events, flexibility

Cons

I think in certain departments there is a lack of tangible or visible career progression opportunities, which is natural with a company that is growing and thus still in the process of taking shape, but nevertheless leaves question marks for employees to have to think about.

April 2, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for your honest review. I hope our career ladders that were introduced in 2017 address your concerns about career progression. It's so important for us that employees can track and plan their development with us.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews