Onfido Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 18 Mar 2020

4.4
Onfido CEO, CoFounder   Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai
Pros
  • "Work/life balance, Sanctus mental health coaching, great colleagues, great opportunities to learn, good office(in 12 reviews)

• "Benefits include flexible working, mental health coaching, fully stocked kitchen with fresh food pretty much every day(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "fast growing so if you don't like that you may be better suited to a larger company which is more steady(in 6 reviews)

• "Vague career progression path in most engineering roles(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Cons

Things change fast, and some people are on a different cadence to others, but there's a genuine focus on culture and people are generally very understanding. There's definitely a place for circumspect and patient thinkers as well as the breakers and changers

Continue reading

"Great company! Good people! Exciting product!"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Onfido pre-series A with less than 20 of us on the floor, and left with the company hosting more than 300 employees in several parts of the world - seeing all of that and the opportunities that came with it along the way was nothing short of amazing. I was given a runway to build a team, the opportunity to take on challenging projects and several opportunities to help shape my career - I owe a great deal to Onfido! For me, the pros are that Onfido has a very exciting product solving a big problem, a network of amazing clients, a super inspiring workforce to learn from and grow with, and a huge number of great benefits that I was certainly able to enjoy - especially flexible working allowing for a great work-life balance.

Cons

As with any start-up, you don't always have all the resources you require so you need to be creative and versatile - this makes Onfido a place to get your hands dirty and build! As the company has grown and the different organisations in the business take shape, sometimes procedures and the need for sign-off come at the expense of efficiency - a difficult balance to strike! Onfido has a truly amazing culture and this is sometimes taken for granted, however, newer leaders don't always mirror the same energy that built Onfido to what it is now - typical growing pain but I know we'll get it right in due course.

August 1, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, thanks for this detailed review. Glad you could join us for the journey from 20 -> 300, and hope you grew as much as we did during it. Noted on new leaders. We're working hard to ensure our recruitment process is as thorough as it always has been and we never slip into just filling roles for the sake of it. And thank you for the feedback on senior team comms. As you say, we need to do even more to gather input from the team before making a decision, and then communicating decisions out effectively. Hope you're enjoying your new role wherever you are!

"Great opportunities to grow & excel"

4.0

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of opportunities for career progression - hardworking, intelligent and friendly team members - good benefits - focus on mental health and work life balance - approachable management

Cons

Like every other work environment, there's a bit of politics to navigate

May 25, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the positive review! Glad to hear that you feel like we care about mental health and work-life balance - because we most certainly do!

"Exciting company but lots of room for improvement"

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits & work life balance - Cool product with exciting potential - Impressive book of clients & partners - Giant pipeline of prospects - Intelligent people at work - Nice office with lots of facilities - Solid mission & vision - Good focus on diversity & inclusion

Cons

- Deteriorating culture - Very, very disconnected people team - Incompetent senior managers (not all) - Toxic people in high paid roles through politics - Product gaps are not well prioritised - Hard workers are often ignored - Poor treatment of UK Growth teams (recently) - Bad commission structure - Minimal transparency - Exec team not well aligned - Favouritism often at play - Poor performing execs allowed in - Frustrations are ignored until a couple of resignations - Salaries could be more competitive - Frequent payroll mistakes - Lots of politics (not like before) - Highly paid senior hires with little value return

May 10, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey - I'm sad to hear you feel that way. But I'm also glad you think that there are lots of good things about working here, and that you think we have a positive future, despite the current struggles you're facing in your role. On the Cons, of which you name quite a few, I'd love to hear more detail if you want to email me directly. Specifically with regard to senior recruits: we've made some fantastic senior hires as well as a few that didn't go so well, but we always course-correct very quickly when we get it wrong, which I think is the most important thing. Perhaps you're feeling the brunt of those changes. They're painful in the short term, but put us all in a stronger position in the longer term. And agreed - we're all looking forward to Ellie coming back from her mat leave :)

"Promising Tech Company With Good Culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since joining I've been very impressed with the company's overall strategy and the way they execute on an ambitious business plan. The leadership seems to be focused on tackling a really important and interesting problem, namely online verification in the digital age, and I think that the way they are going about solving this problem is exactly the right way. This makes me very optimistic about the Onfido's future. From an employee perspective the company is a nice place to work. The people are friendly and welcoming, they offer a flexible working environment and the work-life balance is good. They also make a really strong effort to foster a good company moral and they do a great job at keeping everyone informed on the company-wide initiatives and the direction the business is going in. The company also seems to be attracting some seriously talented people on the tech side and elsewhere which is exciting!

Cons

- Technical debt is surprisingly high for a young company and the developer processes are not super agile which means productivity is low. - Non-salary benefits are a little superficial, for example the medical package they have is billed as a substitute to private medical insurance, but it's not really anything close in terms of value. - Lack of diversity in tech team, particularly in terms of gender. This is kind of an industry-wide problem though so somewhat understandable, although still regrettable. - The engineering team is still in "ship product above all else" mode which works well in startups aiming to prove product-market fit, but quickly leads to systemic issues in larger more mature engineering teams. There needs to be more focus on building a stable, scalable infrastructure if we are to provide the level of service expected in enterprise software and ensure continuing, steady productivity from engineers. - Not much investment in improving the skills/abilities of the engineering team. - Focus on "on premise" services. This is ostensibly for security/privacy reasons but I don't really buy that rationale.

January 29, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, thanks so much for a detailed and candid review. To address your specific points: 1. Debt and agility - definitely areas we can always improve on - noted! 2. We set a company-wide goal to tackle a lack of diversity in tech and currently have 23% of tech roles filled by women (increase from 11% at the start of 2018). We’re hoping to have even better representation this year through our community work and the Onfido Network programme. 3. The balance between shipping new features, rapid growth and building for future stability is the hardest tightrope to walk in startup life. We definitely need to keep thinking about the future 5+ years from now to build resilient and scalable technology products; I hope Morgan’s recent all-hands helped show how seriously we take getting this balance right and what we’re aiming to change in 2019 4. Please send me an email about this as it sounds like you’d be interested in some of the exciting programmes on offer via Onfido Network and Onfido University. We love to learn and share here :) 5. We take data security and privacy very seriously; we also strive to meet regulatory & compliance standards, across several markets, and the expectations of our customers, both large and small. Because of those standards and expectations, we need to exercise substantial care when choosing to work with services that will manage Onfido or customer data. However, we definitely want to be flexible and make rational choices with regard to risk and total ownership cost, rather than always defaulting to “run it ourselves”. Hope that helps! Happy to talk in person if you want to go into more detail anywhere. Eamon

"The best Machine Learning / Computer Vision company I worked for"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros: 1. Cutting edge technology. You get to touch very cool technologies like Docker, Kubernetes. 2. Core ML and Deep Learning technologies across varied problems like object detection, large scale image classification , etc. 3. Very cool problems that are challenging and constantly pushing you to learn more 4. Simply amazing people, some of the best in the industry! 5. Absolutely no politics, very good culture and the best work life balance. 6. Not to miss the snacks in the kitchen. A passionate startup. Otherwise, this has been my best experience in 14 yrs of experience.

Cons

Could be better: 1. More food needed in the kitchen. 2. Fast paced culture (sometimes good) that can structure the projects a bit better.

December 26, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the great review, we're proud of our ML too :)

"Amazing people, dynamic culture, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Onfido for over a year and can thoroughly recommend it as a really special workplace for the following reasons: 1) People, people, people. The people at Onfido are incredibly bright, interesting, warm, and friendly. The People team have worked hard to create an open, supportive, and inclusive culture at the company and this really manifests itself in the day to day life of the business. 2) Flexibility and work/life balance: Onfido practices what it preaches in terms of treating its employees like human beings who have complex lives that need to be balanced with work. Flexible and remote working is always possible and the hours are very reasonable. I've also really taken advantage of the great exercise benefits (free yoga and subsidised gym memberships) and found that many other employees balance their workload with exercise and activities. There is a run club and climbing club and a generally a good culture at the company around well-being. 3) Great place to learn: Speaking of well-being, I've found Onfido a really supportive and encouraging place to learn new skills that I didn't have experience in. Onfido promotes an ethos of iteration, feedback, and 'failing fast' - learning from mistakes. For a first job out of education, this has been a really important part of building my confidence. I've found my team leads and colleagues extremely supportive and always willing to have a chat about challenges or blockers. Onfido also has quite an extraordinary culture around mental health, with free mental health coaching and a generally very positive and progressive attitude towards staying healthy in the workplace. 4) Opportunity to have an impact: Even though Onfido has grown rapidly and is now a large company, there are still ample opportunities to make a difference in how the company solves problems. The founders are extremely approachable, transparent, and inclusive, and my impression has been that many of the teams still work together to define their paths and their work collaboratively. I've always felt like my input and opinions are heard and that I have agency to help determine the work that I do.

Cons

Just one point here and it can also be considered a 'Pro'. Like many companies of its kind, Onfido is growing and changing fast. This means that there are lots of exciting challenges across the board and you often find yourself working on things outside of your role or remit. For people who love variety and a new problem to tackle every day, this can be exciting and rewarding. But if you prefer working within a particular structure or if you struggle to prioritise when pulled in different directions, it can also be a challenge.

April 2, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks so much for the detailed review, and glad you think Onfido's a great place to learn. That's so important.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great company culture and values - Great work-life balance - Transparency - Possibility of career progression

Cons

- I've experienced a lack of communication between the product teams, but we are aware of it and try to improve

January 30, 2018Cofounder & COO

So glad that you are finding a positive relationship between work and life, and that your career is developing at Onfido. Thanks for flagging the comms problems, we are absolutely aware and currently working on a re-organisation of Product Teams to try and solve some of the issues. Growing pains :)

"Great people-oriented company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

The greatest thing about Onfido is focus on the people. Having such a diverse but coherent team of people is definitely the most valuable attribute of the company. Transparency: Co-Founders try really hard to provide honest transparency to the company by publicly answering open questions and giving updates on successes and things that haven't gone so well. This really makes you feel that you are an important part of it. Work culture: At work, you are not pushed, you have the freedom to do your best and let people give feedback on your solutions. I personally find it the most stressless job by far. Work/life balance: Very flexible, working 7 hours a day plus an hour for a lunch - perfect to always find time for your daily duties! Also nobody will make you stay after hours - unless you do. Technology: Company is investing in latest technology. If you have your own ideas, you are more than welcome to do research on them, share your finding and get feedback and help from the team. Worth to mention there's also a very strong Research team working on sophisticated machine learning solutions. Management: Recently hired key people on high levels to help drive the company in the right direction. That shows the start-up is taking the game seriously while growing up. Career and salaries: There's a clear process regarding career ladder and salaries. Learn and do your best and you will see the fruits of your work. Sum up: If stressless work environment and people you work with are the most important values to you then Onfido is the choice.

Cons

Nothing serious but communication between marketing/sales and engineering teams could be improved.

April 2, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the detailed review and so glad to hear you value our transparency and career ladders. We'll keep working on communication between functions.

"Company review"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

So there are so many pros I don't know where even to begin but I'll narrow it down to my personal factors that matter: 1. Young, dynamic and fast paced environment 2. You can actually make a difference. That includes having a lot of trust in you and you can fully bring yourself to the decisions being made 3. Cutting-edge technologies with a lot of really smart people that are fun to work with, where they're not afraid of trying something new as long as it fits the problem 4. A lot of social activities, including global team-wide, functions-wide, and much more! 5. Fully stocked kitchen with everything you'd need during the day to have energy 6. Awesome co-founders that doesn't give you even for a second a feeling that they are above you, everyone in the team is equal! This one is super important which I haven't seen in a lot of companies 7. A new pool + ping-pong table 8. Every Friday there's a happy hour with drinks and crisps and a review on how the company is doing and each week there's a team specific presentation and progress update! Really nice to keep you connected to the business 9. Super flexible work/life balance. You can easily work from home when needed and run errands without being picked on 10. Great values to follow by which truly represents all the things a company should have and aspire for

Cons

I can't really think of any..honestly.

April 2, 2018Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the detailed review! We'll keep doing what we're doing :)

Found 12 reviews