Open Systems International Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 24 Aug 2017

3.7
Open Systems International President Bahman Hoveida
Bahman Hoveida
Pros
  • "Collaborative work environment, good food, good work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Free Soda, New building, leading edge technology(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "OSI has strong processes in place, which can feel rigid at times, but it also provides clear expectations(in 18 reviews)

• "Finally I was approached by someone from upper management today to tell me that(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall Good Internship"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Medina, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Open Systems International for more than a year

Pros

I was given an actual project to work on, not just intern grunt work Mentor and Manager were very helpful when I could get in contact with them Other software developers were very helpful if I had to ask them questions If you're the social type they have all sorts of community events

Cons

Kind of out in the middle of no where, if you live in the Twin Cities I imagine it would be a pretty grueling commute Seems like upper management is kind of a mess sometimes. When I started all the interns were given outdated training materials. I have been told by one manager that the end date for my internship would be a week from now but it turns out my end date is actually tomorrow. Finally I was approached by someone from upper management today to tell me that upper management thought I checked the news and youtube too much during work hours and that it was "bad optics" (like really couldn't you have told me this information a little earlier? I'm leaving your company very soon and it seems like this opinion isn't brand new)

"Mixed Bag With A Unique Personality"

I worked at Open Systems International full-time

Pros

Fun group of young professionals trying to figure out their futures Industry leader with a growing and impressive customer base Good benefits A few really talented people in key spots keeping everything moving ahead despite others

Cons

Terrible location, not near anything fun or useful Personality conflicts within upper management causes a lot of political drama Outdated code base and few opportunities to learn modern languages - resume killer! Low pay compared to everyone else in the area

"Worst. Company. Ever."

Software Engineer II in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Open Systems International

Pros

They hire a ton of new grads, which I was, so we all partied together and had a good time outside of work.

Cons

Where to start? The pay is HORRIBLE, especially for what you have to put up with A promotion is only something they give out if you are willing to do more work for the same pay, congratulations. People are constantly coming and going through the company. Many are straight up fired for being just terrible at their job. Many more are fired simply because somebody in upper management decided he doesn't like them anymore. Work from home? Forget it. Flex time? You are welcome to come in anytime before 8am and leave anytime after 5pm. A gentleman I worked with was taking evening classes trying to earn a graduate degree. Because of traffic and the location of the school from the office this gentleman needed to leave work at 4:30 two days a week for one semester. He asked his manager if it would be OK for him to come in early those days so that he may leave early. The answer he got was NO. Not only that, but he was also told that OSI's PTO policy states that you can only take PTO in 1 hour increments, so this poor gentleman had to take at least 2 hours of PTO each week because he needed to leave at 4:30. Upper management will walk around to make sure you are in your desk between the hours of 8-5. One day at 4:50pm some of the managers were running around the office telling select people there was an emergency meeting. Only about 20% of the company was "invited" to the meeting. While the meeting was going on, the same managers were new running around unplugging the network cables from those employee's PC's. The "emergency meeting" that happened during the last 10 minutes of the week was to inform them that they were no longer employees. Bahman, the CEO, was actually supposed to be the bearer of bad news. He chickened out and had the HR lady do it for him instead. He left the office before the meeting was over. The following week there was a company meeting held to give the current employees an explanation of what was going on. During that meeting we were all informed that there was going to be another round of layoffs in two weeks so we should all be on our best behavior and prove yourself. Sure enough, two weeks later, they let go another 10-20% of the company. This time, instead of holding an emergency meeting at the end of the day on Friday, they waited until everyone went home Friday evening, and around 6:30pm they started calling employees at their home to inform them they no longer work for the company and that a time had been scheduled the following week for them to come and pick up their severance. I believe this has changed since I was there, but they only did payroll once a month. Yep, you read that right, one paycheck a month. Oh, and when you start, you didn't get your first paycheck until you've completed 30 days of employment, so, depending on where in the month you started, you could go 2 months before you see that first check....and my first one came late. I had to call HR and bring it to their attention that after approximately 6 weeks of employment I hadn't received any money. When I was hired I was negotiating a higher salary. I was told by HR that I would receive a review after 6 months and as long as things were going well, I would be brought up to a more competitive salary. I never received that 6 month review. In fact, my annual review came 6 months late. I received a raise of next to nothing, but the best part is this: To justify my next to nothing raise, the VP pulled out a sheet of paper that had itemized all of the financials that pertain to me. Things like my salary and a list of taxes the company is required to pay to have my as an employee, i.e., social security tax. He totaled this all up and said: This is the real amount we pay for you, so we feel like your compensation is in line with the market. Not long before I moved on, I was sitting at my desk updating my resume to send off to a job application. Some lady suspected I was not working on work stuff so she told her manager on me (yes, a grown adult tattled on my). Even better, her manager (who is now one of the VPs), snuck around the cubicles and jumped out from behind in hopes to catch me! I actually started laughing, I thought it was joke....but it wasn't....he was pissed. I could ramble on with a dozen horror stories like this, but I'll stop there. To sum up, working at OSI was so bad that I had actually contemplated leaving the software development field all together, but thankfully OSI is a one of a kind crappy place and not at all representative of any other company anywhere.

Continue reading

"Horrible - Bahman teases employees during meetings when they're not present."

Anonymous

I worked at Open Systems International for more than a year

Pros

Pros include an hour lunch break, paid holidays, free pop, decent coffee, and friendly cafe workers. Nothing related to management, benefits package, or work environment are worth noting.

Cons

Micromanaging. Everything in the company must go through Bahman and he refuses to delegate tasks or allow upper management to make decisions. Working late is mandatory and meetings are often scheduled past regular business hours. Bahman requires all women employees to cover the reception desk part time and HR sees no problem with this sexist delegation. A fun and innovative facade masks a cheap and highly unprofessional company.

"Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free soda: they have free soda in the office which I don't know if it is good or bad. I have seen some developers drunk 25 + cans a day. - very self-driven work environment - New hires pretty much learn as they go on the jobs, but you do get a lot of supports from other engineers because they have been in the same shoes not long ago. - have opportunities to learn many different things

Cons

- lack of standards - Upper management teams don't care about employees. Upper management team are really into micromanaging. - low pay high stress. Engineers average have about four to five projects at the same time. They work average 55 hours or up per weeks. They work even more when you are on site with the clients. - Upper managers don't really care about work and life balance. Example: Friend of mine traveled 3 weeks back to back to back straight. They will always fly you out on Sundays and fly you back on Fridays or Saturdays. You really don't get to pick your hotel because they will pick the cheapest hotel (sometime motels) for the business trip. You have to use your own credit cards to book flights and hotels for the trip upfront.

Continue reading

"No future for entry-level employees"

I worked at Open Systems International

Pros

Solid benefits package Generous PTO (but no sick time) Lavish company parties Some very intelligent people in all departments Somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons

*Poor compensation *Few or no opportunities for advancement *No middle management - upper management runs the entire company *Extremely high turnover *Few experienced engineers and developers for a company this size (due to all the preceding points) *Upper management acts like they run a Fortune 500 company despite having less than 300 employees (company cars for execs, expensive parties, fancy new headquarters)

Continue reading

"Could be a great company, but isn't"

I worked at Open Systems International

Pros

You get lots of experience fast Lots of smart, fut people to work with

Cons

No training Upper management does not invest in their employees OSI does not treat their customers very well (lies, does not deliver what is promised, misinforms...)

Continue reading

"I came, I saw, I... left to another company after a couple years"

Engineer

I worked at Open Systems International

Pros

- Free coffee and pop if you like that sort of thing. (Free coffee is awesome) - Young workforce, mostly fresh out of college so it's easy to get to know your peers when you're new, people are generally friendly - Direct supervisors are pretty personable (mainly because they're only ~3 years older than you) - Benefits are decent. - The best "pro" about OSI is that it gives you great experience that you can list on your resume and use to find a better job elsewhere. I think that may be what they want, too, because they don't seem intent on keeping anyone around.

Cons

- Don't plan to work your way up the compensation ladder quickly because promotions do not necessarily mean raises. - Upper mgmt will constantly batter you with how bad the current economic situation is right before they talk about compensation for payroll in corporate meetings. Then they'll introduce you to 50 brand new employees from the last 3 months so you can see where your would-be raise money is going. - To tie into my previous point, they have been more profitable every year but it doesn't reflect in the wages. One year they just laid off a bunch of people to keep on target with sales goals and said it was because of the economy. Then they started hiring less than 3 months later (by starting with someone related to the CEO) and haven't really stopped since. - Business side is treated with favoritism over Development & Engineering even though anyone working on the business side would deny it. - Whatever Sales can sell will be sold. Development and Engineering must find creative ways (60+ hour work weeks for some) to implement it. - Pretty good amount of incompetent workers. However, since they pay so low they have to take whatever they can get. Just expect to work with people who should have been fired years ago. They sometimes move them around to get them into positions that anyone off the street could perform, which they sometimes still fail at. - Some technicians work harder and are more competent than engineers but get paid half as much, not good for those without a 4 year degree. - No room for advancement in terms of Title changes. Want to be a manager? Good luck, because the company is ran by upper management only. Little to no promotion from within. The higher ups don't seem to trust direct supervisors even when it comes to your reviews and can change your entire review on a whim simply because they don't like you -- even if they haven't spoken to you all year or know any work that you've done. - Young workforce also means young mentality. So although it's a friendly atmosphere, there's a lot of backstabbing going on just to shift blame for something going wrong instead of accepting responsibility. - You'll get exhausted just trying to think of all the cons after you leave the company and submit a review on here

Continue reading

"OSI is a great stepping stone employer."

Engineering Technician in Medina, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International

Pros

You will work hands on with a lot of different products and learn a ton of valuable abilities. Free soda/coffee. Generous amounts/scheduling of PTO(see CONs below for the other side of this). Lower level employees are mostly competent and very enjoyable to work with. Sounds great on a resume.

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch with the work force of the company. PTO is easy to schedule, but you are so overloaded with work that working overtime either before or after your PTO is almost required. There are very little to no advancement opportunities within OSI. No communication between Sales and the rest of the company, so when they sell something that we can't produce it falls upon the engineers/developers to work overtime to make it happen. Salary is very low for 80% of the company. Turnover is very very high, a significant amount of employees leave after a year.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews