Open Systems International Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 15 Jul 2020

3.7
Open Systems International President Bahman Hoveida
Bahman Hoveida
Pros
  • "Collaborative work environment, good food, good work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Free Soda, New building, leading edge technology(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "OSI has strong processes in place, which can feel rigid at times, but it also provides clear expectations(in 18 reviews)

• "Finally I was approached by someone from upper management today to tell me that(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best Breakfast sandwiches"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Medina, MN

I worked at Open Systems International for less than a year

Pros

Collaborative work environment, good food, good work-life balance

Cons

lacking efficiency in some areas. Still feels like the company is going through growing pains.

2. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment , Challenging projects, lot of travel opportunity and good management support

Cons

distance to work and need bigger cafeteria with the steep employee growth

"Good place to start"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunities for developing skills, relaxed work environment, friendly and helpful coworkers

Cons

Salary is below average for level of education, corporate building is located out in the middle of corn fields

"Five plus years with OSI"

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a great place to gain some experience and grow. It is the kind of place that once you learn a job you can stay awhile and set up a stable home. Vice versa, it's a reasonable place to put in a few years and make friends for future connections. They make real attempts to make employees like their work environment.

Cons

Even if they love you, they pay less than competitors, expect about 20% less. They have come to expect a turnover rate of 2 - 3 years. Life is harder in some departments. Training is limited, expect long nights up front to teach yourself the details.

Continue reading

"Avoid “Engineering” in Government & Field Automation Services Departments"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Medina, MN

I worked at Open Systems International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment, nice office, items in my con list improved over the years but still have a ways to go. OSI’s business strategy in the government group ensures a continual flow of business – they won’t sell OSI software to a competitor so it forces the government to use OSI for maintenance and development services. Complaints in my review are specific to the government and field services departments and I think there are positions elsewhere in the company that would provide a better experience.

Cons

Ridiculously slow moving projects, which is is a mixed blame of difficult customers and OSI management. Management tends to turns trivial tasks into behemoth problems, crippling productivity with excessive approvals, reviews, and meetings. Need an extra $5 cable on your project? Expect about 2-3 hours of work filling our paperwork and 2 weeks for all of the necessary approvals to get through to get the cable ordered. There is little transferable knowledge gained, unless you career aspirations are to work at an electrical utility that uses OSI’s software. Most of your time will be spent learning the intricacies of OSI software, developing HMIs in the most painstakingly-slow and buggy software, and tediously going through lists of 1000’s of data points adjusting names to customer ever-changing preferences. Daily I would take a step back and look at what I’m doing and think, ‘this is what I spent 4 years getting an engineering degree for?’ An accumulation of small things gave me a bad vibe about the company. Projects often get down to the contract T&C’s on how to get out of work. I usually felt like we were ripping off the customer, the actual delivered product to cost ratio on a lot of projects was outrageous. OSI really advertised ‘flex time hours’ when I was hired, yet they had the strictest policy of hours I’ve worked at. OSI hires almost all new grads, yet they built their new office 30 miles from the city. Travel policy is a nightmare, expect to get nickel and dimed on expenses. To save $100 on a flight, travel will book you a midday Sunday flight with a 4 hour layover. OSI gave me a 5-day window to accept their job offer which seemed excessively short for a new grad when I had interviews spread out over a month period.

"Great place to start"

in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Open Systems International

Pros

Small company environment that allows entry level employees great experience. Successful competitive products, profitable and stable company. Great work culture and work environment and benefits.

Cons

Pay is well below average Not much careers growth as the company is very conservative not looking to grow in any significant way. Incentives are non existent for those who are capable of taking the company in new innovative directions. Career growth opportunity is fantastic for entry level only but not much career opportunity beyond that. One size fits all style to management.

Continue reading

"Good company for entry level employees / new grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

OSI offers flexible work hours, casual dress code, very affordable high-value health insurance, free pop, a beautiful building/work environment, a free onsite fitness center, etc. We also get new laptops every few years which is nice. The work is satisfying and challenging; there is always a full work load / lots to accomplish. OSI offers on-the-job training for all new employees. Most of the employees are pretty great people to work with- very smart, motivated, etc.

Cons

Medina is a bit far from the city / long commute. They offer limited options to work from home but sometimes it is approved. Some of the supervisors / managers are new to the role, and should probably have more leadership training before getting direct reports.

Continue reading

"OSI is a great company to work. company culture and the management team are really awesome."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

Pros

Flexible work environment, great people, really enjoy the work I do and I get to work with creative, intelligent and friendly colleagues . The managers and the management rewards you for all the good work you do. Excellent employee benefits and compensation packages. Most important: great work life balance !!

Cons

none as of now. !!

"Horrible - Bahman teases employees during meetings when they're not present."

1.0
    Anonymous

I worked at Open Systems International for more than a year

Pros

Pros include an hour lunch break, paid holidays, free pop, decent coffee, and friendly cafe workers. Nothing related to management, benefits package, or work environment are worth noting.

Cons

Micromanaging. Everything in the company must go through Bahman and he refuses to delegate tasks or allow upper management to make decisions. Working late is mandatory and meetings are often scheduled past regular business hours. Bahman requires all women employees to cover the reception desk part time and HR sees no problem with this sexist delegation. A fun and innovative facade masks a cheap and highly unprofessional company.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business in Medina, MN

Pros

The culture at OSI is alive! The work is fast-paced and the employees are full of energy. In my specific position I enjoy getting to work on a variety of tasks on a day-to-day basis, never a dull day. Casual work environment, flexible work hours, free soda, free snacks, lots of employee events throughout the year. The health insurance plan is unbeatable! I'm not sure why everyone complains about the pay, it seems to be in line with industry averages and the bonuses are great.

Cons

Location - Medina is definitely on the edge of the metro. While they do have flex time, I wish there was a work from home option

Found 13 reviews