OpenMarket Senior Software Engineer Reviews

Jonathan Morgan
1 Rating

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good overall culture, friendly and talented group of people. If you are willing to bend your back and take the initiative, you will find tons of opportunities for your professional growth. Management is good at identifying talent and providing carrier growth opportunities. Good work life balance. Flexible work from home policy. Generous PTO and sick day policy. Good medical plan. Good transportation benefits. Free food and other fringe benefits.

Cons

Recent relocation to Queen Anne made commute from South and East side little inconvenient. Recent voluntary attrition especially in the senior management was mostly filled with internal junior talent, though it is a good strategy to encourage and promote the internal talent, since it was done in a short time at a large scale, the short comings from inexperience are felt at layman level.

Continue reading

"Recruiting leadership. Gone. Engineering leadership. Gone. Technical Depth. Gone."

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to wax and wane about how much more you’d make if you left for another job. Then you remember you’re coasting so you settle for the loud, new open office and free food.

Cons

Remaining leadership leans on less talented workers to work insane hours to patch operational holes. Almost all the people with deep tech stack knowledge are gone. Not a single competent TPM left and the remaining developers are googling errors. All the hopes and dreams ride on one primary bread and butter customer and “innovative” thinking means spinning asks from sales into faux gold.

"Software Engineer"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, and when they've been poor, management listened to employees and improved them. The company has a strong committment to career development, and managers are supportive of this. A very collaberative work environment, especially within all teams I've worked with. Management seeks to identify and address issues. The recent change in senior personel has been far less disruptive than it could have been, and is being used as an opportunity to take stock of where the company is in all areas.

Cons

There are issues with cross-functional communication, which can be very frustrating. It appears as though some dev teams have little direction and are not delivering clear business value. There has been lots of change recently, which has been challenging.

Continue reading

"Best tech job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Everyone is respectful of others' opinions. The company is small enough that you get to make a real impact, and contribute significantly both to software design and implementation. Very little "red tape". You can really get stuff done. Great culture too, with lots of outings, and a "no jerk" hiring policy (no matter how good their tech skills might be).

Cons

Honestly not much to say here.

Continue reading

"Bad experience in software engineering"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management has great vision and product direction. Sound engineering principles are a major part of this vision. Friendly coworkers. Teams are free to work as they see fit. Specifications are extremely detailed. Good architecture based on REST and microservices.

Cons

Benefits are awful. Vacation and sick time are combined and very low. No HSA-compatible health plan available. Supervisors are former devs: people skills need improvement & they sometimes make short-sighted decisions. Foundation teams produced buggy libraries with major, unannounced API changes. (This happened on several occasions.) Limited career opportunities due to small company size. Diversity program only covers women.

OpenMarket Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We can't improve as an organization unless we know what we need to improve upon. We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience at OpenMarket, that certainly isn't the case for most of our employees. Nonetheless, we want you to know that your feedback has been shared with management as well as HR and we will take it into consideration during conversations around benefits, management training and our diversity commission. In the meantime, I can assure you that we are continually working to ensure OpenMarket is a positive, diverse and healthy workplace. We wish you the best of luck in your career going forward.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent culture. I feel respected by my peers and management. There is certainly an emphasis on work/life balance here. Employees are happy, and that's proven by the fact that many have been here over 5 years.

Cons

The parent company can be a burden at times. A lot of nonsensical policies and unnecessary bureaucracy.

"Awesome company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom to solve challenging problems without oversight Multiple opportunities for advancement and career growth Personal development and innovation time Great diverse collection of talented folks to work with and learn from

Cons

Not a consumer facing company or a well known brand, so I often had to use examples to explain to friends and family what exactly we did.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews